Author Topic: Super Nova, no not that one  (Read 7412 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Super Nova, no not that one
« on: May 06, 2021, 04:04:12 PM »
Has anyone seen this cable yet, looks interesting. Does ifi have a good track record of putting out products that do what they say?

https://ifi-audio.com/products/supanova/

Thoughts?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Super Nova, no not that one
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »
Nope, brand new to me. Have heard of them and appears they have a reputation for making good products.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 01:09:16 PM »
I tried 3 of their products and in my system they either did nothing or made the sound worse.
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 09:54:36 AM »
   Interesting design. However the proof of the pudding is listening after installed.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 10:32:48 AM »
exactly charles, interesting approach to their design.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 10:37:01 PM »
   Interesting design. However the proof of the pudding is listening after installed.

charles
Yup.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 11:36:01 PM »
I tried 3 of their products and in my system they either did nothing or made the sound worse.

Interesting design to be sure. It reminds me of the Belden Iconoclast cable or the Nu-Force ones. But I am curious what products you tried that sounded bad. Dacs, power supplies, other cables?

Paul

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 06:42:50 AM »
I am intrigued. Even if I never get it, I hope it works as it could be a Godsend for some

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 12:41:07 PM »

Interesting design to be sure. It reminds me of the Belden Iconoclast cable or the Nu-Force ones. But I am curious what products you tried that sounded bad. Dacs, power supplies, other cables?

Paul
The problem with this is that of system synergy.  I tried some interconnects that sounded great in a friend's system that were absolute turds in mine.  That is part of the reason I make my own.  That and the education that goes along with experimentation.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 07:13:00 AM »
Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, my internet was down.
It turn out it was only 2 of the ifii products, the usb3.0  and the itube2. The iusb3 did nothing and the itube2 sounded worse on all but one setting, don't remember which setting and that one did nothing.

I tried these on my old  system, I can’t try the tube2 agin because it is RCA and my systems inputs are either XLR or optical now. I will try the iusb3 in my bedroom system this weekend and see what it does.
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 07:31:02 AM »
The iUSB3 is one of those products that could very well do nothing for you. It is designed to address deficiencies in the USB interface in you DAC. But if you are lucky enough to have a good DAC that already properly address the issues that the ifi unit is designed to fix then by definition it will have nothing to do. So I would say if it did nothing for for you it does not indicate that the ifi is a bad product but rather that your DAC is a good one.

It is kind of like the new products that ifi that eliminate ground loops and block DC on you AC inputs. If you don't have either of these conditions in your system both products will appear to do nothing  when in fact the issued would be that they could not fix a problem that you did not have before adding these components.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 07:45:25 AM »
Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, my internet was down.
It turn out it was only 2 of the ifii products, the usb3.0  and the itube2. The iusb3 did nothing and the itube2 sounded worse on all but one setting, don't remember which setting and that one did nothing.

I tried these on my old  system, I can’t try the tube2 agin because it is RCA and my systems inputs are either XLR or optical now. I will try the iusb3 in my bedroom system this weekend and see what it does.

Think about the Innuos Phoenix re-clocker. VG upgrade.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 09:24:09 AM »
As the dac in my bedroom system is much better than the one I originally tested it on I won’t bother trying it.

Another maker of fix it gear told me the same thing that if the gear is made right then none of the fix it gear will have any effect.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 09:25:10 AM »
My need for the noise reduction may be OBE. The reason I needed it was that the power amp I was using seemed sensitive to noise (EMI/RFI).
However a deal fell in my lap for an SPL Performer s800. The SN specs on the amp are very good so I am taking delivery next week.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 07:03:57 PM »
My need for the noise reduction may be OBE. The reason I needed it was that the power amp I was using seemed sensitive to noise (EMI/RFI).
However a deal fell in my lap for an SPL Performer s800. The SN specs on the amp are very good so I am taking delivery next week.

I hadn’t heard of this amp before and looked it up today. Any comments/thoughts you’d care to share?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS