Author Topic: DIY roller blocks??  (Read 30049 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: DIY roller blocks??
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2021, 08:21:26 PM »
One other thing....

Sometimes they leave a black mark on what it rests on.  So if you have nice furniture I suggest putting a piece of paper under the pad.

In my situation, it doesn't do it on everything.  Mainly on my BB boards and shelves.   I think maybe it depends on how the surface is finished, and somehow interacts with the rubber?

Thanks for that info. My Pangea rack has a nice carbon fiber finish and I also wouldn’t want to mar the beautiful walnut finish on the bottom of my Fritzies. Think I may cut some baggies...
Nick

That will work, as will anything you put between the pad and surface to protect.  Personally, I would just put masking tape on the pad.  Probably the easiest and quickest installation.  And it moves with the pad as you adjust its location under the gear, unlike something like a piece of paper.
Yup.

In the past when there were finish/gooey pad reactions, I used tissue paper as an interface. I like three idea of an incredibly thin barrier.

Dave,
Won’t tissue paper possibly absorb some of the gooey stuff and get gooey itself?
I’m wondering about some rice paper maybe.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2021, 09:06:53 PM »
I would go with masking tape and just check it periodically.  If some kind of goo interaction is bleeding through, you will know early on before any damage.  It doesn't happen overnight.

Better yet, just attach multiple layers of tape.  I gotta believe 2 or 3 is more than sufficient.

Or if you are really worried about bleed thru, just tape on some squares from cut up file folders.  It is stout dense paper without being too thick.  I bet big bux it would pass no goo.  Tape it on so barrier moves with the pad as you adjust its position.

But I think this is overkill.  I think layers of taper are fine....probably even just one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 09:17:40 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2021, 09:33:43 AM »
I would go with masking tape and just check it periodically.  If some kind of goo interaction is bleeding through, you will know early on before any damage.  It doesn't happen overnight.

Better yet, just attach multiple layers of tape.  I gotta believe 2 or 3 is more than sufficient.

Or if you are really worried about bleed thru, just tape on some squares from cut up file folders.  It is stout dense paper without being too thick.  I bet big bux it would pass no goo.  Tape it on so barrier moves with the pad as you adjust its position.

But I think this is overkill.  I think layers of taper are fine....probably even just one.

I expect they will be delivered today as promised. I have a few types of masking tape and that’s what I’ll be trying first (after allowing outgassing). Masking tape is easiet to cut and to place and won’t slip. Think I’ll start under speakers only at first. Then the preamp.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2021, 10:49:35 AM »
Dave,
Won’t tissue paper possibly absorb some of the gooey stuff and get gooey itself?
I set them in the sun for a few days and that seemed to take care of the issue.  Rice or fish paper would probably be better, though...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2021, 01:22:20 PM »
Dave,
I set them in the sun for a few days and that seemed to take care of the issue.  Rice or fish paper would probably be better, though...

I was going to put them in the sun this afternoon, but Friday UPS delivery has morphed into Monday. Oh well...I’ll try masking tape and also either paper you mentioned. Maybe an art store would have the rice paper. As to the fish paper, I guess the local market...
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2021, 01:54:58 PM »
I really don't think there's any reason to overthink it, or go to any great effort, or even leave the house to procure anything.

Any paper around the house will work.  Wax paper?  Notebook paper?  A glossy magazine cover?  I still think masking tape is best and easiest.  Haven't tried it but I'd still bet it's an effective barrier.  And I think it will provide a bit more "grip" than other options mentioned.

Of course, you can use masking tape to tape on another option.  Reliable barrier + grippiness.    :thumb:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 02:29:20 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2021, 04:32:01 PM »
I really don't think there's any reason to overthink it, or go to any great effort, or even leave the house to procure anything.

Any paper around the house will work.  Wax paper?  Notebook paper?  A glossy magazine cover?  I still think masking tape is best and easiest.  Haven't tried it but I'd still bet it's an effective barrier.  And I think it will provide a bit more "grip" than other options mentioned.

Of course, you can use masking tape to tape on another option.  Reliable barrier + grippiness.    :thumb:

Agree about the overthinking part. I’m just open to various suggestions as I haven’t delved deeply into vibration control and acoustic treatments before. But my system is quite revealing nowadays, so that adds to my curiosity.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 11:55:06 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2021, 08:43:36 AM »
Here's the best advice ... don;t think any one solution will work everywhere and don;t think someone else's solution will work best for you.

Get something squishy, like those foam tennis balls, and cut them in half.

Then get something roller-blocky.

Then get some hard wood blocks.

Then get something pointy.

Try each under only "1" component (I suggest starting with the source component) and see what sounds best. Then, leave that there and try each under another component and leave the best one there. etc.

Then when you think you have it, go back and try each under that first source component again and see if your results are different. I bet they will be. It's all about tuning with footers.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2021, 09:10:25 AM »
Here's the best advice ... don;t think any one solution will work everywhere and don;t think someone else's solution will work best for you.

Get something squishy, like those foam tennis balls, and cut them in half.

Then get something roller-blocky.

Then get some hard wood blocks.

Then get something pointy.

Try each under only "1" component (I suggest starting with the source component) and see what sounds best. Then, leave that there and try each under another component and leave the best one there. etc.

Then when you think you have it, go back and try each under that first source component again and see if your results are different. I bet they will be. It's all about tuning with footers.

Bob, you guys are making me think too much  :lol: I was hoping to be able to use some general rules of thumb when doing this. But I imagine different resonances might be generated by the types of chassis metal that were used, transformers etc.

UPS tracking tells me the vibration pads are getting very close to being here...
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2021, 03:25:10 PM »
Just got the EVA pads (with the blue centers). These things really stink... put  them outside immediately
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2021, 08:35:58 AM »
Just got the EVA pads (with the blue centers). These things really stink... put  them outside immediately

Real rubber is definitely stinky, think about your garage after you get new tires. A few days out in open air should help, I'd recommend keeping them out of direct sunlight though, UV can do a number on rubber.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »
These EVA pads aren’t outgassing well at all. They’re still outside. So if somebody wants 25 of them, all you need to do is pay me for shipping. Standard USPS I’m guessing would be $4-5
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2021, 06:52:58 PM »
I put the EVAs in baggies to keep the smell out of the house and just to test them out. They are under all the components, but not the speakers. The speakers slide around a little too much on them and that makes me a bit nervous. The speaker stands aren’t completely level either. I know the concrete slab isn’t level as we had engineered flooring put on it a few years ago.

I fired things up early at 7:30 local time, which I really never do. System is cold and used the music that was open on Roon. Didn’t expect much, but sure sounds like better detail retrieval and better timbre. I don’t much like playing reference cuts etc. Will leave that to the reviewers. I prefer just playing music and getting a feel for any possible changes.

I’ll keep you posted 🎶🎶
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »
Nick

Your safest bets under the Carrera's would be the Mini Pucks or cheaper and just as good the Herbies Fat Dots.  I just compared both under a pair of Harbeth C7's and didn't hear a real difference and in terms of height for my chair the Herbie's were better.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2021, 07:55:59 PM »
Nick

Your safest bets under the Carrera's would be the Mini Pucks or cheaper and just as good the Herbies Fat Dots.  I just compared both under a pair of Harbeth C7's and didn't hear a real difference and in terms of height for my chair the Herbie's were better.

Jack,

I’ve saved the various links, but can’t find the Mini Pucks yet. I am going to keep listening to the baggy-encased EVAs. I sure like what I am hearing so far. If true, I’m amazed how cheapie little things like this can improve the sound. I think it was toobluvr who suggested these with the smelly blue center and then Dave the ones with the cork centers. I sure want to be super careful with outgassing. I went through all the sensitivity issues in the 80s....not pleasant.

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS