Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 2944365 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #1110 on: October 29, 2010, 06:20:33 AM »
Marian McPartland: At the Hickory House

Nice from a performance stand point, but these are live club recordings from 1952 &53 so the sound quality is not that great. I enjoyed listening to this disc at work on my computer, but the SQ on the main system was kind of disappointing. Sounds kind of like an old time radio broadcast (which is most likely what it was recorded for.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:24:08 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Ecramer

« Reply #1111 on: October 29, 2010, 07:11:55 AM »

Live at Carnegie Hall
Bill Withers | Format: Audio CD

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1112 on: October 29, 2010, 08:35:13 AM »
Marian McPartland with strings: Silent Pool

Marian McPartland's mainstay was always small combo acoustic jazz. This "with strings" thing is a showstopper for me. The overproduces string arrangements make her sound more like Mantovani than Oscar Peterson. Reminds me of dentist office musak. If you are into that, you'll probably enjoy this album. It is just not my cup of tea.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1113 on: October 29, 2010, 08:43:47 AM »
Tom, try the Kenny Burrell station on Pandora, it seems to suit all moods and fits into every situation. I listen to it all the time.

This is a good example of why Pandora is great. I never really listened to or cared much about jazz guitarists. Thoe that i played with and had records of never really did much for me. The instrument always sounded awkward to me, just to hard to make it sound smooth playing bop. Then I heard some soulful grooves by Burrell and created a new station from it, for cool party music, not for serious jazz listening. But the more I listened to the station, the more technically accomplished I learned Burrell really is. I finally heard his record with Trane last week, now he is one of my most interesting artists. If you use Pandora as intended, by creating new stations when you hear a new artist you like, and rating the tracks as much as you can, it really pays off in discovering new music.

Rich,

I'll have to give that a try. I listen to Pandora a lot at work and you're right, it has lead me to a lot of good stuff I might have overlooked before. (If you like James Taylor search on his son , Ben Taylor. He has done some nice work with his Dad & Mom (Carly Simon).  Another nice Pandora find. :D )

I have had a George Benson station set up for quite some time now and it pulls in a lot of the same jazz guitar artists, but i will have to set one up around Kenny Burrell. While they are both talented jazz guitarists, they do seem to take their music in slightly different directions. Not better or worse, just different (variety is good.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #1114 on: October 29, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »
Yup!!  :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #1115 on: October 30, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »
And then I had to stop at the library on the way home and they had just put out a bunch of new release, so i pick up a bunch of them as well.

The library is a good source for "mainstream" recordings...just need to get a hold of them before ...the mainstream...otherwise...a major "clean up" becomes necessary. I do wish "they" would handle them better.... :?

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1116 on: October 30, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »
[Live at Carnegie Hall
Bill Withers | Format: Audio CD

Wow, I missed this one. Ordered it up from the library  8) and hopefully it will be here in a few days.  [-o<

Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1117 on: October 30, 2010, 06:10:57 PM »
And then I had to stop at the library on the way home and they had just put out a bunch of new release, so i pick up a bunch of them as well.

The library is a good source for "mainstream" recordings...just need to get a hold of them before ...the mainstream...otherwise...a major "clean up" becomes necessary. I do wish "they" would handle them better.... :?

I know what you mean. I just wonder what it is that "they" keep doing that causes concentric circular scratches. Scratches that cross the track of the data pits can almost always be dealt with by the CD players error correction circuitry. But ones that scribe the same arc as the data often cause dropouts and in many case the disc to shut down and stop playing. (And DVD/SACDs are even more sensitive to this.) I still can't figure out what causes this kind of physical damage to the discs.  ](*,)

That said, the damage to the library CDs is still much less obtrusive that the damage that used to be done to library records. For the most part a Cd with scratches can still be played and enjoyed, but a mishandled library record was very often so full of clicks and pops that it was unusable.  :evil:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

lonewolfny42

« Reply #1118 on: October 30, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »
That said, the damage to the library CD's is still much less obtrusive that the damage that used to be done to library records. For the most part a Cd with scratches can still be played and enjoyed, but a mishandled library record was very often so full of clicks and pops that it was unusable.

Agreed.....most LP's were in really in bad shape after only a few "loans".... :duh

As for DVD's...the wife picks those up....most need a nice soap and water bath before inserting into the player.
Must be dinner time when "they" watch....care for some tomato sauce... :duh :rofl:

AcidJazz

« Reply #1119 on: October 31, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »

Excellent album, sonically and otherwise.
http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Point-Randy-Halberstadt/dp/B003UOM5SI
Pianist Randy Halberstadt is a major player in the Pacific Northwest Jazz Scene.  Flash Point is another fine presentation of post-bop jazz coming out of Seattle.  Randy recorded this album with his working trio of Jeff Johnson-bass and Mark Ivester – drums adding Mark Taylor – alto sax and Thomas Marriott - trumpet to make it a quintet.  Randy composed six of the nine songs recorded. 
..http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=8118

Randy Halberstadt, flash point

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1120 on: October 31, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »
The Mamas & the Papas: People Like Us

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

AcidJazz

« Reply #1121 on: October 31, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
ANother stunner...a live(?) recording, somewhere outdoors(?) in various location around Europe. Track 7, 'Ruby deck' ends with some fireworks (or canon fire), for a minute I thought le Revolution had begun.  :rofl:
Outstanding!

LE REX – LE CORSE
Four wind instruments and a drum – this is Le Rex, the ultimate mixture of groove, harmony and juicy melodies with an unmistakable addiction to the unexpected.
Last summer, the band, which has been founded in 2008 by the saxophone player Marc Stucki, who lives in Berne, Switzerland, retreated to Corsica to literally rehearse in the bushes, record a CD at the beach and busk spontaneously within a fortnight.
The music of Le Rex reveals a spectacular kaleidoscope of crispy popgrooves, balkanese horn riffs, intoxicating and frisky rhythm ’n’ blues parts and the sweet bitterness of leaden ballads. Even though the five musicians play without any electricity, they definitely are electrifying at all times...http://unitrecords.ch/page.php?pid=1000&fid=1175&lx=en
http://www.cede.ch/de/music-cd/partner.cfm?pid=1028&aobj=823851
Le Rex. [Le corse]

Track 10. Nothing compares to you...absolute killa! I'm dead.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:58:58 PM by AcidJazz »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1122 on: October 31, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »
George Benson: Tell It Like It Is

I am a big Benson fan from way back and I have to say that this is the first Benson album I have heard that I really just didn't care for. There is just too much going on and not enough of it is related to Benson. I think George is at his best when doing straight forward simple jazz. But this album is just way overdone. When I looked at the liner notes there are 21 musicians on this album in addition to Benson!. I think this record should be featured on the next DVD release of "Producers Gone Wild!"

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1123 on: October 31, 2010, 07:14:06 PM »
Charlie Parker: Bird with Strings

Live at The Apollo, Carnegie Hall & Birdland.

Old transcription recordings from 1950, 51 & 52. Lousy SQ, but like with the original Glenn Miller and other Big Band recordings, there is some kind of magic in the performance that makes you forget the sound and get sucked into the music.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #1124 on: October 31, 2010, 07:18:17 PM »
Firefall: Luna Sea

Contains the top 40 hit "Just Remember I Love You", but other than that, decent, but but not particularly memorable mid-70s Pop/Rock

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9