Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 2941853 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #480 on: May 21, 2010, 05:41:14 AM »
George Benson had a swimming pool shaped like a piano.  :D

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #481 on: May 21, 2010, 05:48:27 AM »
George Benson had a swimming pool shaped like a piano.  :D

Not a guitar? That's a surprise.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #482 on: May 21, 2010, 07:03:47 AM »
TMazz-

How were the Benson albums?  I have both in my collection, but haven't given them a spin them in more than 25 years.  

I saw Benson several times.  I also saw Stanley Jordan at the Bottom Line in NYC in 1985.

az

I liked both of the Benson albums, but hen I have been a Benson fan from way back and have seen him live several times as well (dating back to the Weekend in LA Tour in '78).  Both albums have the typical Creed Taylor clean sound, although the Benson and Farrell album does have a very "studio" sound to it. These albums represent a musical transition period for Benson when his music was moving form the pure jazz of his earlier career to the more "commercial" highly produced and arranged pop-jazz we saw starting with the Breezin album. (While many jazz aficionados considered Breezin a sell out of the art, it introduced Benson to a much wider audience and earned him the rock star type money & fame that few jazz artists ever attain.) These two albums actually sandwiched the release of Breezin and you can heard the pop influence creeping into his music, although with much smaller groups and simpler arrangements. (In the mid 70s Benson was recording for Warner Bros & CTI at the same time - I'm not sure how that worked contract wise.) Later in the decade Benson's music would push more and more towards pop instrumentals, with some sounding more like Disco than jazz, but these two albums remain squarely on the jazz side of pop-jazz.
The Stanley Jordan on the other hand is a traditional jazz trio recorded live at a club in Japan. It includes nice jazz interpretations of Stairway to Heaven and Over the Rainbow. Good music, good sound.
All three albums are recommended.  :thumb:

I made a big score on the garage sale front this week (28 mostly mint LPs and 16 CDs for $25  :drool: ), So watch for more posts as I sort through and listen to them.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:05:29 AM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #483 on: May 21, 2010, 07:12:15 AM »
This is the kind of discussion I would love to see more of on AN. I know I (and I hope all of you) spend much more time listening to music on my equipment than I do changing it out or working on it. Yet 95% of the discussions on this board relate to hardware and not software. While finding a new digital cable or power cord is great, neither would do us any good at all if we didn’t have some good music to play over them. And on a personal note I cannot afford to buy a new piece of hardware once a week, (or even once a month  :roll: ), but I can always find a way to scrape up a few sheckles to purchase a recommended album on Amazon or the like (or even better find it at one of the local libraries and borrow it.  8) ) I know I can say without reservation that I have made more actual purchases based on recommendations from this thread than all of the other AN threads combined. I also uncovered a number of gems that I already owned that I never realized were as good as they were because I bought them when I owned much lesser quality equipment and never heard them play to their full potential.  #-o

What do you say we all try to kick start this tread and share some more info on what’s hot and what’s not in the world of software (both new and vintage.)  [-o<  Even if you have nothing in particular to say about a selection that you are listening to just post up the Artist and title of the album (pictures are always nice.) It might spark a thought in somebody’s mind about having heard that album or something similar in the past and lead them to an enjoyable listening session.  :thumb:

If we all do this, I guarantee that you will come away with more than you contribute.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #484 on: May 21, 2010, 07:22:11 AM »
Gordon Lightfoot: Endless Wire

Generic Gordon Lightfoot, but contains nothing particularly noteworthy. If you are a big Lightfoot fan, by all means, check it out. Otherwise you can pass on this one.

While looking on Amazon for the jpg I noticed that this album is being re-released on CD on June 8th. If anyone is interested pre-orders are being taken now.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #485 on: May 21, 2010, 07:36:10 AM »
Tchaikovsky: Pathetique Symphony - Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra (Vinyl)
RCA Living Stereo LSC-2216

This one kind of disappointed me. The performance was OK, but never really grabbed me emotionally. And the sound had more of a back of the hall or balcony perspective that an 5th row orchestra perspective.

Had this not been an original Shaded Dog pressing I might not be so hard on it. It's not that horrible in and of itself, It's just not up to the standards that I have come to expect from the Reiner Living Stereo series, musically or sonically.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #486 on: May 21, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »
Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain

The third and final of the great Miles Davis-Gil Evans collaborations of 1957-59 was also their most ambitious. This set finds Davis in the forefront improvising on two numbers associated with Spanish music and three Evans compositions in that idiom. Much of the music is quite dramatic and emotional (notably Saeta) and plays at his best throughout, really stretching the boundaries of jazz.

The LP I picked up was an orginal Columbia "six eye" pressing off of the 1S stamper. Not only incredible music, but stunning sonics at well.  :drool:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:19:07 PM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:12 PM »
Meatloaf: Hang Cool Teddy Bear

New release from Meatloaf

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #488 on: May 22, 2010, 05:39:34 AM »
Sketches...

What is there to say? Critiquing it is akin to reviewing Michelangelo's Pieta. 

What is  a 'Columbia "six eye" pressing off of the 1S stamper?"  Clearly it sounds good, but what is it? How do you recognize it? Why is it better?

Meat...

Well?  Whatcha think? 

I'm afraid Meatloaf is caught in a conundrum.  If he makes another record that sounds like "Bat...," he's locked into his past glories.  If it sounds different, people won't like it.  Meat is no Miles, who could change styles and approaches like a chameleon...and was a genius.  Miles, however, never made anyone laugh or cry on screen. 

Offline tmazz

« Reply #489 on: May 22, 2010, 04:32:49 PM »
What is  a 'Columbia "six eye" pressing off of the 1S stamper?"  Clearly it sounds good, but what is it? How do you recognize it? Why is it better?

In 1955, Columbia introduced the "6 eye" label. There are six camera/eye logos on the label, and the "Lp" logo is at the bottom. This label continued on all (mono) pressings until 1962. Masterworks albums (ML series), including soundtrack albums (OL and KOL series), were placed onto a gray and black "6 eye" label. Mono mainstream numbers from about CL 600 through about CL 1800 were pressed on this label style originally.

In 1958, stereo was introduced, and so a stereo version of the "6 eye" label was created. The prefix for standard stereo LP's was CS. A black and gray version was created for Masterworks and soundtrack albums (MS, KS, OS, and KOS series). Stereo mainstream numbers from CS 8000 to about CS 8579 were pressed on this label style originally.

The significance of the Six-eye version is two fold. First off if an album was originally made in the late 50s -early 60s era the six-eye pressing would represent to earliest pressing of the album, which in theory would be the best quality because all of the tapes would be in the best condition with the least amount of wear on them. In the case of the six-eye pressing I think more important is the fact that if the album was pressed prior to 1962 there is a good chance that it was processed entirely using all vacuum tube equipment. IMO this is much more significant than any wear that may have happened on the mater tapes.

As for the 1S pressing, if you look on the inner grooves of an LP you will usually find a code etched in there. The first part of the code is usually either the LP number of something that is derived from that number. At the end of the number is usually some kind of suffix that identifies the stamper that was used to press that exact LP.n Lower numbers indicate an earlier stamper which again, in theory, might produce better sound because it came earlier in the production run. (However I have often wondered of something pressed at the very end of the usable life of stamper X would sound worse that something pressed from the very beginning of the production run from stamper (x+1). That is why I said "in theory"). However, to die hard collectors LPs from the first stamper are more valuable than LPs from later pressing, not because thy sound better, but because they are considered art of the "first edition"  (Not unlike collectors look to the initial printing of a book.)

The Meatloaf CD is OK, but nothing great. Kind of the story of his career. If it wasn't for Bat Out of Hell and Rocky Horror, people would be saying "Meat who?" I saw the disc in the new releases section of the library and gave it a try. It's not bad, but just not the kind of CD I can see myself playing over and over again.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:37:36 PM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #490 on: May 23, 2010, 01:39:51 AM »
Wow, Mazz.  I've been collecting records my whole life and somehow managed to previously miss all of that information. 

I forgive myself for not knowing the "6 Eye" thing.  It wasn't until later, after I was married, that I began to really understand and appreciate hard bop, so I never really collected records from its seminal period.  Instead, I collected the music.  Of course, I have several different pressings of every Yes and Genesis record released...it makes me feel a little silly, almost.

The mysterious etchings on the inner rings have always been just that, mysterious. I never found anyone that could even begin to explain their significance.  I never even looked at the codes as having any meaning at all to anyone outside the record pressing plant.  No one I knew ever could even begin to explain anything about them. I've always known there were numbers and codes, and occasionally noticed silly things written on the inner grooves, but hadn't given them much thought beyond that.  Even at good record shops, I've never seen a record touted or identified by its markings on the in inner groove.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #491 on: May 23, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »

Ezz-thetic

KD, Newt, Max, George Morrow, Ray Bryant. A great post-Clifford album of hard bop.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #492 on: May 23, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
Miles Davis In Concert - My Funny Valentine

Miles recorded live at Lincoln Center's Phiharmonic Hall in 1964

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #493 on: May 23, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »
Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. - Shazam!

As silly as it sounds.

Includes that great hit "You Can"t Roller Skate in a Buffalo Heard".

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #494 on: May 24, 2010, 07:15:54 AM »
Miles Davis In Concert - My Funny Valentine

Miles recorded live at Lincoln Center's Phiharmonic Hall in 1964

Same concert as 'Four and More.' Valentine contains the ballads, Four has the up tempo tunes. Tony Williams' first recording with Miles.