Author Topic: Subs - Sealed vs Open Baffle.  (Read 3092 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Subs - Sealed vs Open Baffle.
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:13:21 AM »
  Im considering making a pair of subs.  Sonotube and drivers ? sealed box ? Open baffle ? and why. Thanks in advance as this is all new to me.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Subs - Sealed vs Open Baffle.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:49 AM »
We had a guy in the club many years ago who invited us over to hear his new Hsu subwoofers. After listening to the system for about 15 minutes somebody asked "Hey Lou, this sounds great, but when are you going to turn on the subs for us?" He laughed and said they were playing all along. He then he turned them off you definitely heard the missing lower octaves, but when they were turned on they just did what they needed to do and did not draw any attention to themselves. These were the original Hsu subs built with the sonotubes. From what I have been lead to believe the reason they were discontinued had nothing to do with performance but rather with shipping problems. Although the sub sounded great, too many of them got damaged in the shipping process. But if you are going to build them yourself, shipping would not be an issue.

I would suggest starting with a sonotube design. It is quick, easy and cheap to put together and if it doesn't work out for you the driver can always be pulled out and but in a different type of enclosure with not big financial loss.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Subs - Sealed vs Open Baffle.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:14:20 AM »
The biggest issues with any sub are it's ability to integrate with the main speakers. This means adjustability (crossover point, volume, phase) and the speed of the driver. for a smaller cone (@8-10") you probably need a port to get the extension you will need. For a larger driver (@12-15") you probably want a sealed enclosure to help make it "faster". Then the cabinet size and shape is always an issue, since it has to fit in the room somewhere and be moveable to you can find the right integration point. Many people believe 2 smaller subs are generally better than one big one, so you can go stereo with them. Having 2 in 2 different locations also helps to control room nulls and peaks better than a single sub would.

Like anything else, it's all about tradeoffs.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.