Author Topic: a tiny bit will do!  (Read 4948 times)

shep

a tiny bit will do!
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:57:57 AM »
I need just a beercap full or less of some good contact enhancer, like "quick silver" or anything that will do the trick. There's something in the rca chassis jacks on my cdp that is leaving marks on the cable pins. Until I can get these jackass jacks replaced (it's a pissy job), I need something that both lubricates and fills in the micro scars. The connections suck big time. The amp has top class Vampire RCA's which cause no problem. I should use Craig detox it as well but that's unheard of here in the boondocks. Thanks for any assistance!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: a tiny bit will do!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:29:13 AM »
Shep a good cleaning with a Q-tip and alcohol should do the trick . You will hear the difference.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:22:38 AM »
yes but the problem is not just oxidized but the plating has actually become scarred, which is why I need one of those enhancers to fill in and restore full contact.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:50:02 AM »
What do you mean by scarred? It is smooth with base metal showing, or is it rough surface from being scraped by a junk plug?

Walker Audio and Mapleshade sell that silver laden mineral oil in US. The oil stops micro arcing, silver increases contact area.  I don't have any.

shep

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »
scarred as in...scraped. Just a thought...that someone has too much ar  :duh

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
Can you flatten it with emory cloth, or a scalpel tip? The silver stuff is immersed in oil dielectric. I don't think it is conductive by itself, only when smooshed between touching surfaces to fill in the microsurface roughness.  The rough jack will damage any new plugs you put on it.

shep

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 12:13:45 PM »
no it's one of those abominations, everything is inside a plastic seal, totally impossible to open. It has to be de-soldered from the circuit board and proper chassis-mount ones put in it's place.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »
Sealed for your protection?  :rofl:

I see your logic now.