Author Topic: 8 pin DAC chip  (Read 3365 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
8 pin DAC chip
« on: June 11, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
My Altmann DAC has an 8 pin DIP DAC chip. It claims to be able to convert 24 bit 192kHz PCM stream natively with this chip. I am not aware of any DAC chip with this pinout that can accept 24/192 PCM. Is there such a beast?  Sol thinks it is Phillips TDA series, but he does not know of one with that resolution. Any vintage DAC IC afficionados out there? The chip is covered in a thick layer of C37 calphony tree sap, per Charles Altmann's special sonic recipe, it also handily obscures the IC identification markings. ;)

I am considering upgrading my redbook only version of the DAC to handle high resolution streams. This requires adding the clocks and supporting passives, control switches and programming the xylinks controller to process the higher resolutions.

Then I would explore upgrading the DAC's regulators and output caps, or even make a new output stage altogether, put it in a nice full size case with connectors. I like the sound of it, even as is, but I think there is a lot more in it to hold me until I can get a Berkeley Alpha or Oracle DAC.
Thanks for any ideas or comments.
Rich