Author Topic: Self-Hell  (Read 9522 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Self-Hell
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »
Thanks Mike, I forgot about that. That'll help alot.

Anybody heard about Erse Pulse X caps? US made, sold by GR and DIYCable. I beleive they are quality parts, but are they on par with the exotics?

shep

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 09:50:20 AM »
On a somewhat less slippery slope than the post about Grover's IC's; back to nuts and blts, namely these pesky resistors. Having done some research and elicited responses ranging from "don't waste your time, nobody can hear differences in resistors", to " On the 8th day God created Deuland", I conversed with a wise man known as Tony Gee of HumbleHifi in Holland, whose cap tests are already a legend (check out his speaker designs too for those you in the know) He kindly put up with my ravings and politely answered me. Since I already took his word and was delighted with the Jentzen caps, I am ready to take another and go for the Muldorf supreme thingy for the X'over. Pricey yes, but they have the exact values I need. All told I'm looking at a 150 buck investment in a 700 dollar speaker. Is this wise? Of course not. But you gents do understand so it's going to be alright Martha, the nice man in the white coat is only the ice creme man.
I probably will go for Gover's ic's before I take the Mundorf plunge and the whole soldering nightmare.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 10:06:30 AM »
These shep?
http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/mresist.html
They gotta be good. Duelund resistors cost about $16, not much more than the Mundorfs, but the Mundorf are smaller, maybe easier to fit into your crossover.

If you have good ears and a quiet enough system and room, (and a little imagination?) you can hear anything, especially a cheap part in the signal path, known to be veiling. Populist dogma says you can't hear it if the scope can't.

$150 of parts for a speaker is not unreasonable, even if the speaker costs 700. You are turning it into a $1500 speaker. Besides, you obviously enjoy the experimenting and tinkering as much as listening, just like me.

shep

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »
Yeah that's them and like you said, they fit more or less. Thanks for the encouragement. My  space is dead quiet. You can hear a mouse breath. The tinkering is hairy but I generally manage not to screw it up.
I just wish there was someone here to share this stuff with. You guys are lucky to be able to get together occasionaly.