Author Topic: ICE is nice  (Read 21148 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: ICE is nice
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
Your friendly neighborhood Digital Amp Company shill here-

Bemo, have you ever heard one of DAC's Class D amps (the Cherry series)?

Not Ice or UcD, but much better than the examples of those amps I've owned (Channel Island UcD) or borrowed (Rotel ~100 watter ICE).

I see you are in NYC? Maybe we'll hook up at a GTG someday and you can hear the Cherry. Or better yet make it to a Rave (maybe you have? I don't know everyone's handle)

I'm not saying it'll be the amp for you, and while I wouldn't call it particularly cool it certainly is not lush and won't add any lushness to a system. We heard it on already icy-cold, sterile VMPSs and it was not a good match. But on my Von Schweikerts the Cherry more than impressed the Ravers for a solid 8+ hours.

So in the right system I think some of the Class Ds can be a good choice, all things considered.

-Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2010, 06:00:45 PM »
I can't wait to hear them sometime.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2010, 12:50:46 PM »

There is no other manufacturer that to me seems to have gotten this challenge of making really good sounding D amps that can run neck to neck and even surpass a standard bear of Class AB amp.  There are many defenders of these D amps, but the numbers of what their owners think about them is seen in the number of D amps that have gotten RAVE reviews across the NET and yet, wind up like dead/poisoned fish on the shores of Audiogon.  #1 brand that seems to be overrated Bel Canto, even NuForce is there.
Check out used W4S ads.  Their resale is high and most gear moves within a couple hours to a couple of days.