Author Topic: ICE is nice  (Read 21149 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: ICE is nice
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 10:16:03 AM »

Cute little things...

http://www.d-sonic.net/

$1000=500W mono   $1300=250W stereo

D-Sonic uses stock ICE module. Wyred4sound version has some nice upgrades, like the input stage.

Actually, D-sonic is built by Cullen. Looks it!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13061625#post13061625

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:23:34 AM by richidoo »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
  Wonder if anyone actually compared the two. Wyred is reaonable as well price wise. Good find as always Rich. thanks for the info.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Deton Nation

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »
  OK I found the Ice amp that we heard and liked very much. What this amp replaced was a Mac Intosh 402 driving vandersteen Ref 3As which BTW was one of the best sounds we have heard in a while. The D-sonic did not disappoint. If it lost anything it was weight and fullness.However you really had to listen hard to hear the difference.    It is a D-sonic Magnum series amp D-Sonic.net. we preferred this to te Bel Canto which was also on hand. Actually by a large margin. Ice should be Ice , A module is a module, right ? Wrong !
   Whatever D-sonic is up to in their overall design they have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Besides the wonderfull sound they are priced within reason. 525W/ch for $1575 or 250W/ch for $1275. They make mono,two, three, five and seven ch. versions.
  Hey how about two three channel amps for a [3] way pair of speakers. One channel for each driver. Hmmmmm! Sub amps Hmmmmm. Lots of potential. Maybe we can them to start a tour. I will contact them and ask. Check the site out and post your opinions . Not affiliated with D-sonic.

charles
looks cool, maybe a AS demo or AC demo some day...

shep

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 02:55:31 PM »
I'm glad some of you are taking some interest in this thread, seeing as how I have a very personal interest! I don't know about anyone else, but I doubt if price/performance-wise you can do better than Wyred and especially their new integrated, which was just reviewed on 6 Moons; My interest? Obviously I'm enamored with what this small, cool, composed amp of mine can do and I'd like to share it around. There are a bunch of ICE amps on the market, ranging from very expensive down the line. As near as I can fathom they can sound very pedestrian or amazing, all depending on who's doing what. To the best of my knowlege the Wyred integrated is the first of it's kind, incorporating a first class  pre-amp. Correct me if I'm wrong. Yeah Ive been banging their drum! maybe they will make me their French representative or something. :duh

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »

shep

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 01:40:27 AM »
Thanks Rich. I was just being lazy.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 07:07:49 AM »
No problem!   I read the review, he seems to like it! It's a lot of amp for the money.

Deton Nation

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 08:34:22 AM »
I read the review. Seems like a great product... I wonder how it compares to Nuforce.
M

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 09:00:46 AM »
OK then its the Wyred for Sound audition time. Hey WTF if its better it stays if not bye bye. It would be an interesting comparison of the latest technology verses the the world of tubes. Lets see if we can get one to try.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 09:11:56 AM »
Interesting but not conclusive. They hit in different places. Although I adore my amp, I am willing to admit the fascination is more intellectual than emotional. The idea of small, cool, powerful and composed has its own fascination and rewards. I do know how wonderful tubes can be, but I am sufficiently neurotic and I don't need to add tube-rolling the list! I don't know J. Sorento well enough to ask, but he might be willing to send an integrated for such group thing. Maybe to one of you dealers here?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:14:29 AM by shep »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 11:01:22 AM »
Interesting but not conclusive. They hit in different places. Although I adore my amp, I am willing to admit the fascination is more intellectual than emotional. The idea of small, cool, powerful and composed has its own fascination and rewards. I do know how wonderful tubes can be, but I am sufficiently neurotic and I don't need to add tube-rolling the list! I don't know J. Sorento well enough to ask, but he might be willing to send an integrated for such group thing. Maybe to one of you dealers here?

A nice Italian boy, We'll make him an offer he can't refuse eh. Maybe Shane would be interested as a dealer. Couldn't ask for a better one IMO.

charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
I like the review but I have no intention of buying one. Black Sands is a Wyred4sound dealer.  I have purchased a couple Cullen things from him.

I'm with you on the curiosity thing shep. The class D concept is great. I would love to have my stereo on all the time without worrying about tube life or electricity or heat. Tiny little amp hidden away. But until it really sounds as good as at least a great linear SS amp then I'm not gonna waste my time. I probably would not buy anyting until it can make music like great tube amp.

I'd like to hear the new NAD, CIA D500mk2, maybe Bel Canto Ref1000mk2, and some exotic design concepts that Sol has confided in me.  All in good time. I have a bias towards Hypex. I believe they are technically the best class D architecture of all, so I'll probably give the D200mk2 a try sometime. But damn! these tubes sound so good. Why mess with it?

shep

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 01:50:43 PM »
I think he's Spanish Charles!

shep

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 01:54:45 PM »
I would be more than willing to pit my amp against a great comparably powerful SS amp (2x75 watts) although I might regret doing so. I doubt if BelCanto does this better than Wyred and I had forgotten about our very own BlackSands. Maybe he has somethings to say on the matter from his experience?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 08:14:26 AM »
I would be more than willing to pit my amp against a great comparably powerful SS amp (2x75 watts) although I might regret doing so. I doubt if BelCanto does this better than Wyred and I had forgotten about our very own BlackSands. Maybe he has somethings to say on the matter from his experience?

Yes , me as well sorry about that. Hopefully he will contribute his opinion.

charles