Author Topic: Eastern Electric Minimax DAC  (Read 63890 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Eastern Electric Minimax DAC
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2011, 08:44:12 PM »
Just tell her you joined AudioNervosa, buy her a T shirt, or make her a pair of earrings with your discarded opamps... hehe

AcidJazz

« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2011, 09:57:11 PM »
I also think opamps rolling have a bigger 'effect' on the sound vs the tube. Tubes I have tried so far, Brimar, Madza, Sylvania and currently, RTF. 
I find the SS output to be more neutral with the tube output adding a little more mid bass punch.
I should add that I have changed the tube output caps.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2011, 05:29:29 AM »
With the op-amp-upgraded SS path, I can always hear deeper into the recording. Details exist deep down in the mix that are glossed over with the tube stage. Just more info there, or it's presented in a different way...

And Martin, I do like the RFT tube, but I'm sure Return to Forever makes a swell tube too  ;)

tmazz - The dual op-amps are in use when the tube output is used, so dedicating onesself to the tube output does not mean that you can't season to taste w/ the op-amps as well.

-Mike

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2011, 10:56:42 AM »
With the op-amp-upgraded SS path, I can always hear deeper into the recording. Details exist deep down in the mix that are glossed over with the tube stage. Just more info there, or it's presented in a different way...

And Martin, I do like the RFT tube, but I'm sure Return to Forever makes a swell tube too  ;)

tmazz - The dual op-amps are in use when the tube output is used, so dedicating onesself to the tube output does not mean that you can't season to taste w/ the op-amps as well.

-Mike
Thanks Mike, I didn't realize that. I was under the impression that switching on the tube stage replaced the op-amps in the circuit. You learn something new every day.........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

AcidJazz

« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »

-Mike

:rofl:
Hell yeah...RTF is playing the Beacon 8/12&13...I should check them out.

RFT...RAF...they all look alike.  :lol:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
Mike -

When I was over the other day, were these the opamps I heard?

"I currently have OPA2107 in the I/V spot and OPA627 for the SS output. I know that the sound can be slightly tipped down (too much of the Burr-Brown chocolaty sound), lacking some sparkle, but there are good things to be had in the mids and bass that my system likes. I brought this DAC (and my preamp and amp) to Barry_NJs house and the sound was just too lifeless on his system which, to me, is not at all a forward sounding system."
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
Hi Gene,

Just saw your question now...

No, we heard the OPA2107 duals and the OPA827 singles.

827 is a little more lively than the 627 but not as romantic through the mids.