Author Topic: St. Louis G2G  (Read 15282 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
St. Louis G2G
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:58:25 AM »
Going to be having a listening session either the 17th or 24th of March - still up in the air.  Anybody close is welcome to join in.

Things on the agenda:

Demo to a couple of folks of a hybrid system with tube pre and dac with SS amps.

Eval of Rick Craig's Selah SSR speakers

Eval of diff between stock and modded Korato preamp (VH oilers as output caps compared to the stock Mundorfs)

General listening, BS, maybe a few brews...   :beer:   Probably at some point flip the PJ on to watch a bit of the NCAA's.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
St. Louis G2G
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 06:37:35 PM »
Final date is the 24th.  Time is any time after 1:00.  If anybody is around our area, just let me know and I'll provide directions.

Bryan

WEEZ

St. Louis G2G
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 07:06:50 AM »
Bryan,

There's a slight chance that I may be in your area around the 24th...would you have room for an outsider from TN?

I won't know for sure until Thurs....

Don

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
St. Louis G2G
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 07:40:52 AM »
Absolutely.  Feel free to stop by.  If you're going to be around let me know and I'll PM you directions from wherever you're going to be.

Bryan

WEEZ

St. Louis G2G
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 08:25:39 AM »
I'll confirm one way or the other by Thurs. nite..thanks.

WEEZ

St. Louis G2G
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 11:19:11 AM »
Bryan,

My trip to St. Louis is cancelled, so I'll miss hearing the SSR's :evil: . Look forward to hearing the report :)

WEEZ

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
St. Louis G2G
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 11:40:07 AM »
Too bad - was looking forward to it.  I'll have a beer and a brat in your honor.

Bryan

WEEZ

St. Louis G2G
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 05:56:10 PM »
Ahhh..beer and bratwurst....damn

:(

WEEZ

WEEZ

St. Louis G2G
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »
...man, I hate it that I'll miss this gathering.. :x

I mean, what could be more fun than listening to the SSR's; modded tube pre; eating bratwurst; drinking beer...not to mention the fine company..

oh well.

WEEZ

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
St. Louis G2G
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 06:07:26 PM »
... just to add a little to the pain....

My special set of mono extremes from Klaus showed up and are playing away as I speak.  I'll just barely have 100 hrs on them by Saturday.  Theyr'e already sounding REALLY nice.  They seem to match with the SSR's nicely.

Modded Korato with the VH PIO output caps, Telefunken PS tube, 60's RCA blackplate 81's and 82's

SB2 with Waynes PS -> MHDT Paradesea with WE396A or RedBank 2C51

Odyssey monos

SSR's

Cabling is basic old MIT right now (need to build my new ones yet) for interconnects and Harmonic Tech Pro-9

So far, this system is all about synergy.  Everything wants to have the same voice and they're all bringing the SSR's right into line.  It seems like one of those systems that just clicks.

Next time you're in the area, let me know and we'll get together.

Bryan

WEEZ

St. Louis G2G
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 06:21:07 PM »
ohhh, mannnnn.......

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
St. Louis G2G
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 10:30:39 AM »
Last night was a good time.  Some pics in my thread over on AC in the GAS area.

The SSR's really came into their own with the Odysseys.  The bottom end came out more but tightened up, presentation and imaging was very good, etc.  

We later switched over to a fully Bolder modded analog SB3 with the latest uber-power supply.  Compared it to the stock SB2 digital out to MHDT and the digital mod out to the MHDT.  The digital mod/MHDT was pretty close to the analog but the full mod was definitely smoother and more organic.  I'd have loved to put my smaller PS on it and see how much was the PS and how much was the mods.  I might have to break down and get the analog mods for my 2nd SB.

Unfortunately, my PC was acting up and not wanting to play some of the ripped music from some of the CD's. Not sure what was up but I wasn't a happy camper.  

Lastly, we put my Dynaudio's back in the chain with the full blown analog SB3/PS direct to my Korato.  I'm spoiled now.  Can't want till the amps break in and then will snitch the SB/PS again from Scott.

Also, Scott said that he just got the latest from Paul H. - the Sentinels.  Said they were really nice the little bit he got to listen to them.  Will report back on those after I hear them - hopefully in the next week or so.  Had my eye on those but wanted to hear them after hearing the big ones.  Looks like I'll get the chance.

Bryan

WEEZ

St. Louis G2G
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 10:46:53 AM »
I saw the pics..wish I could have been there.

I realize it's hard to compare the SSR's ( (1) woof) with the Dyn's ((2) woofs)..but how would you describe the mids and highs?

WEEZ

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
St. Louis G2G
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 11:57:21 AM »
Mids are a bit more laid back on the Dyns - though the SSR's are not forward sounding.  The top end is a tough call.  The Esotar tweeter is just something special - though ribbons do their own thing on strings and high harmonics.

Overall, I'd have to give the edge to the Dyns in the highs and mids.  Now, how much of that is because the Dyn mid doesnt' have to do bass at the same time is a good question.  It would be more fair to compare the SSR's with a smaller set of 2 way Dyns.

Bryan

WEEZ

St. Louis G2G
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 04:57:19 PM »
Bryan, one more question :oops:

Last Oct. @ RMAF, I listened to the ACI Sapphire XL long enough to determine two things: 1) I liked 'em!; 2) They did have a bit of a rise in the area around 150hz, it seemed, giving them a warmer sound.

I'm wondering if you think that's a characteristic of the SS driver?- or do you think Mike 'voiced' them that way. Does the SSR have that same or similar characteristic?

I'm still tempted to try a diy or custom made speaker using the SS mid/woofer along with a Hiquphon OW1fs like I mentioned a while back in the speaker ward. Trying to pin down whether to use SS..or something else. TIA..

WEEZ