Author Topic: Thinking About Something Completely Different...  (Read 2541 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Thinking About Something Completely Different...
« on: October 21, 2020, 02:45:54 PM »
For no other reason than I’d like a change, I’m thinking of changing out my Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S speakers for either a stand mount monitor or a small floorstander.
I’m thinking out loud here- I was full on (in my mind) for a stand mount monitor, until I realized that my speaker cables are not long enough to go upward another two feet or so. My situation necessitates long cables, so another set is out. Then of course there is the issue of purchasing stands. Dollar signs all around.
So I think a small floor standing monitor might be in my future. I REALLY liked the QLN Prestige Three-https://qln.se/prestige-three/ at the NYC Audio Show- coincidentally in the Triode Wire Labs room.
However, at $9500.00, they are WAY out of my price range.
I also still value the ability of a speaker to play fairly loudly. To further complicate matters, my amp will output 30wpc in class A, and go to about 90wpc a/b.
As I said, I’m thinking out loud here, so any thoughts are appreciated. I’m looking to keep ‘my new speakers’ close to what I believe I can sell the Spatials for- around $2500 give or take...
Thanks for any thoughts.
Jim
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Thinking About Something Completely Different...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 10:10:55 PM »
Jim,

Two stand mount speakers come to mind: the Fritz 7 BE (that I have) and the Tekton Impact Monitor (that I nearly bought). I like stand mount speakers, because at my age, I’m able to easily still move them around. The Fritzes weigh about 30 pounds each and the Tekton Impact Monitor is 43 pounds. I had heard very good things about both brands and Charles recommended the Fritzes. I communicated with tekton a couple of times, but was never able to speak with Eric Alexander directly. His secretary relayed his answers to my questions and that influenced my decision a little bit. The Tektons are more efficient at I believe 94dB and the Fritz are 87dB. But according to Fritz, they are pretty easy to drive because of his crossover design. I believe he told me he’s used as little as an 8 watt amp.

Retail on the Fritz is $3,500, but Fritz has been known to offer discounts and Charles is a dealer as well. The Impact Monitor goes for about $2,000. My little Fritzes can play quite loud and the bass response is more than enough for me. It’s a great two way 😀

Good luck!
Nick

http://www.fritzspeakers.com/

https://www.tektondesign.com/impact-monitor.html

PS forgot to mention I use 24” B & W stands (forgot what model) and the  24” Pangeas are $200

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:14:49 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 06:34:11 AM »
My God, there are so many choices and so many opinions on what good sound is. You really have to just find a way to try out a few and make a decision on what works in your room with your type of music. I would suggest going used, that way if it doesn't work out you could likely sell it for what you paid.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 12:59:59 PM »
  Hey Nick thanks for sharing. If cannot swing the QLN Fritz is a killer over achiever. Did you them when I demoed them at Andy's. Very well liked.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 01:56:10 PM »
Some really nice suggestions above James.

If you don't mind a great sounding pair of used, I have a pair of Danish System Audio 1270s. They are only 6" wide. They feature dual 5" drivers with a cone mass of only 1 gram each (excluding VC). Here are their specs.

Belastbarhed: 170 Watt •
Impedans: 4 Ohm •
Frekvensgang (+/- 1.5 dB): 40-22.000 Hz
•Følsomhed (1W, 1m): 89 dB
•Delefrekvens: 3500 Hz (24 dB/okt. Linkwitz/Riley) •
Dimensioner (BxHxD) cm: 15x104x26.6
New Price: $2500.00
Used Price: Negotiate
I will not ship, but will meet half way up to 100 miles or so.

Do you live anywhere close to Peoria Illinois, to audition them?
First photo is SA, the rest are mine.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 02:05:49 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Online Folsom

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »
Whoooaaa whoooaaa.....

Let's talk about sonic goals before we start suggesting everything under the sun. You've got a very nice pair of speakers, and you're focused on a change.

What is missing from your audio experience? Are you not listening enough?

The speakers you linked to looked sorta interesting but honestly there's no way they can equal the dynamics of the Spatials. I'd be very hesitant to go from something I could play classical on for a thrill to something that does a mediocre job.

I believe with a little more information there may be paths for you that you haven't really explored that may be unlike what you're thinking now. In fact I think your speakers an amp are probably the best parts of what you got going on. I think your speaker wire is a good choice too. I can pretty much promise the weakest link you have is the turntable setup. So if this isn't just about a size/space thing, well, let's talk. And if the goal is less room intrusion then I think the goal should be a change in speaker placement, not size specifically. There are many speakers that can be parked against a wall and sound amazing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:17:53 PM by Folsom »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 11:03:09 AM »
  Ones room determines what speaker. Speaker placement is crucial to good sound. If using an "L" shaped or space where there is no corresponding wall issues arise. The JBL A190 helps with that. Check them out. Not a dealer of JBL.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Brap

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 07:16:18 AM »
James, As stated, glad you reinforced your decision on the Spatials considering their value to you and what you would get in selling. Its bittersweet since I'm a strong proponent of the Fritz BE's -- still amaze me and folks who listen look around for a sub - nowhere to be found!. Last detail is 2 panels from Audimute received yesterday to stop some reflections and I'm all set for some critical listening.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC