Author Topic: Okay, guys- can't believe you missed this...  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Rob Babcock

• Seeking Help
Okay, guys- can't believe you missed this...
« on: June 17, 2007, 03:36:17 AM »
You've gotta check out this Idol-knockoff...listen to this cell phone salesman absolutely killing with Nessun Dorma, the final aria from Turandat.  Absolutely stunning- he may lack the polish of Carrerra or Bocelli but he compensates with tons of heart.  Check him out! :)

WEEZ

Re: Okay, guys- can't believe you missed this...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 06:01:16 AM »
Yeah, there was hardly a dry eye in the hall. Beautiful piece.

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 08:24:26 AM »
I saw it on Fox News in the joke section of the show, so I thought it was just a guy lipsyncing with judge panel dubbed in. Then I realized it was real. He is incredible! I was trying to figure whose voice was overdubbed, but I couldn't place it. He has a unique clear and powerful sound.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 05:09:21 PM »
While I do miss most things related to singing contests I watched the clip and enjoyed it!  Thanks for the link. :)  I sent this to my Uncle, a pretty big opera fan and I found his response fairly interesting and had some really good insight into this piece and how to learn more...  I'll post his thoughts here for everyone else to enjoy, if he's OK with that.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 05:11:50 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Rob Babcock

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »
I'm not saying he's better than Pavarotti or anything! :rofl:  But the Nessun Dorma aria from Turandat is probaby my single favorite work in opera, so I have a weak spot for it. :)  He made an excellent choice in selecting that work- with lots of lay people that probably don't know or listen to opera, it's cagey to pick a very emotional, accessible peice of music.  In that aria, Calaf is singing of his love for Turandot to the Heavens above and exhalting that he will win her hand, and ultimately her heart.  Very emotionally powerful stuff!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 08:24:09 PM »
He's not but... my Uncle thought he had a lot of promise, as most would agree...
If you want to know more about this opera here's what he sent...

The first link details the major aria, "Nessun Dorma" with the Italian lyrics and the translation into English.  It also gives a great background on where this aria has appeared in popular culture and how it became popular.   It also mentions that Paul sang this aria and gives more details on how many times he performed it and what other places you may have heard it in popular culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nessun_dorma

The link below goes into a great deal on the opera, Turandot, its history and a full recount of the story.  When performed, it is stunning with all the Chinese costumes. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turandot

The link below recounts all the operas of Puccini who is regarded as a Master of modern Italian opera.  His greatest opera, La Boheme (the Bohemian) is the most popular opera of all time,  a staple at the MET, contains the three most recognizable arias ever heard by virtually anyone and is the entire subtext of the movie, "Moonstruck," in which the music plays a pivotal role in the story background and in the actual story.  It also appears in the movie "Pretty Woman."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puccini

Lastly, an excellent group of arias for (male) tenors can be found here on Amazon for $11.  "Nessun dorma," sung by Pavarotti, is the last aria on the album.  It features some dynamite tenors singing great roles including some from Puccini operas.  There are many "collections" on the internet especially from classical music sites. 

I own the opera DVD, "Carmen" with a young Placido Domingo in the lead.  It is great!

"Nessun Dorma ~ 20 Great Tenor Arias / Pavarotti, Carreras, Domingo, Bergonzi, Aragall, Bjorling, Di Stefano, Kollo, Corelli, Del Monaco..."
Georges Bizet; Audio CD; $10.99
I really enjoy listening to music.

Double Ugly

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 08:26:51 PM »
And he won!  Click here for the story.

Here's his semi-final performance for those interested - Time To Say Goodbye

Offline Rob Babcock

• Seeking Help
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 09:00:20 PM »
In the opera, a Prince named Calaf and one of his servants are on the run from some enemies when they come across a spectacle- a beautiful Princess named Turandot is holding a contest for her suitors.  While she's very beautiful, she's also very cold.  Any man trying to win her hand must answer three riddles she poses; if he can correctly guess the answers, she will marry him, if not he will die by beheading.  Calaf sees an unfortunate challenger executed and turns to leave in disgust when he catches a glimpse of Turandot and falls hopelessly in love.  In a moment of bravado he leaps onto the platform and says he will accept the challenge, and against all odds he succeeds in unravelling her riddles.  The Princess, horrified at the thought of marrying this ragged looking peasant, appeals to her father not to permit the wedding, but a deal's a deal.  Calaf offers her a riddle of his own- if she can guess his true name before daybreak he will let her off the hook.  Turandot accepts, setting her servants to the task of learning his identity.  She further tells them that if they fail, they will all be executed at daybreak!

Offline Rob Babcock

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 09:01:28 PM »
BTW, I don't watch those contests either.  I don't even have a tv! :rofl:  I saw this link on another site, just thought it was pretty cool. :)