Author Topic: Dali Rubicon 6  (Read 2742 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Dali Rubicon 6
« on: September 15, 2023, 09:51:04 AM »
Picked up a demo pair for a decent price (new would have been out of my league).
I have been trying to replace an old speaker I had for over twenty five years (I don't change often). Through suggestions I went with a pair that I just could not get used to. They didn't sound bad but I couldn't get past the metal tweeter. Stupid as I am I lost money on a trade in for a higher model (different metal tweeter of the same brand) and while liking them quite a bit and the metal wasn't as bad found them to have a similar effect on me with certain music. Sold them (and lost more money) and took the 6s home for a trial. At first the LF was a little bloated but they seem to go lower than specs state. After some more break in the LF has improved quite a bit and is tight. The silk dome tweeter with a ribbon super is delightful and mid range is excellent. Not the best cabinet but solid with a nice veneer. Overall sound (for me) of the 6 after break in is sounding really good with any genre I throw at them. They really accel both on and off axis which is crucial to me since they are used in a living room with my wife and I sitting in different locations. They retain a good micro and macro detail with the gear ahead of them.
As with the my original speakers, these will stay for a very long time.
I highly recommend the Dali speaker.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Dali Rubicon 6
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 11:06:07 AM »
Picked up a demo pair for a decent price (new would have been out of my league).
I have been trying to replace an old speaker I had for over twenty five years (I don't change often). Through suggestions I went with a pair that I just could not get used to. They didn't sound bad but I couldn't get past the metal tweeter. Stupid as I am I lost money on a trade in for a higher model (different metal tweeter of the same brand) and while liking them quite a bit and the metal wasn't as bad found them to have a similar effect on me with certain music. Sold them (and lost more money) and took the 6s home for a trial. At first the LF was a little bloated but they seem to go lower than specs state. After some more break in the LF has improved quite a bit and is tight. The silk dome tweeter with a ribbon super is delightful and mid range is excellent. Not the best cabinet but solid with a nice veneer. Overall sound (for me) of the 6 after break in is sounding really good with any genre I throw at them. They really accel both on and off axis which is crucial to me since they are used in a living room with my wife and I sitting in different locations. They retain a good micro and macro detail with the gear ahead of them.

Don
It IS a journey and this journey is a personal one. 

I bought one piece of gear based solely on the recommendation from a trusted friend.  I never did that again.

I'm glad you found your keepers.  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 11:23:35 AM »

Don

Congrats, Don!

As to losing money on trade ins, I'm quite experienced in that regard over the years 🥲 It happens and just enjoy your new addition now 🎶🎶

Nick

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 03:43:42 PM »
Best of luck with your new speakers. If I'm not mistaken they're rear ported. No matter but like most speakers placement is crucial. Give them breathing room and they should shine.  :)  8)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 03:52:03 PM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 10:18:41 AM »
Don,

Interesting configuration....two very different tweeters. Is it like a 2.5 design (2.55??  :) )?

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline dflee

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 11:49:45 AM »
Thanks guys.
I never thought it would be as frustrating as it turned out to be.
PI: You better not start calling me Grasshopper. (But I do love and appreciate your kindness).
Michael: Ya, they call it a 2.5 + .5 design. Don't know why cause they look identical but they do have a specific right and left speaker. I'm not questioning it cause it's what they say to do in the lit and they are marked.
GDHAL: While they are rear ported, lit says they can go to 8" off the wall. I have them at 10 and don't hear any of the lag or bloat from being too close.
The 6 is what I would call a more forgiving speaker. While it does pretty good in detail and is fairly black background doesn't seem to shout out what is in front of them that is not up to par. Or else everything I've got is now decent enough. Ha.

Don
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 11:58:03 AM by dflee »
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.