Author Topic: Maggie 1.7  (Read 29243 times)

shep

Maggie 1.7
« on: December 31, 2009, 12:05:59 AM »
Anyone know anything more than was is being reported? I guess there's no review out yet.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Maggie 1.7
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:35:49 AM »
 No formal reviews yet. If they are better than previous models it will be another classic. magnepan conducts bllind tests with new models compared to the previous model. With that in mind it should be a winner.
 They will be showing with an all Bryston system. Too bad not with Audio Research. Back in the day when AR and Maggie were close to each other Magnepan voiced their speakers with AR gear. Then it became popular to bi-amp with AR and Bryston using the infamous Bryston crossover.
  Today with the Bryston 28B available no need to bi-amp but you can. I still own the 3As with the upgraded 3.6 ribbons. It wasn't until I heard the Pipedreams that my mind was changed. I still a place in my heart for Maggies they are truly special.
  IMO one must own or at least hear them properly set  [ a bitch BTW, took me years to position them perfectly]. Until then the Nervosa is incomplete. Very anxious to hear them.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:06:46 AM »
I wonder if they finally have come of age and changed the rubbish parts and wires and connectors they have used for 30 years! Not sure how the metal frame will be an improvement over the wood though. It still needs a more rigid one with proper outrigger legs that are adjustable. Still, these are only details and the price is nice and somehow, in spite of glaring cost-cutting in the most obvious places, they still manage to sound unique and wonderfull, when properly set up and amplified.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
One would hope the crossover parts have been improved as well as the sructure itself. The metohod f screwing down the tweeter was a trip. A major improvement was had by installing Black hole Pad between frame and structure. Hopfully that issue is adressed as well. The metal stand with no spikes or footers was an issue.
    To be honest if the price stays reasonable which it appears is then final tweaking is left to the buyer is OK with me. 
    what amazed though that with the so called cheap parts and loose as Goose frame the sound was always glorious. Go figure.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:50:46 PM »
Don't know how they do it, but every new generation of Maggies seems to eclipse the previous on. If you have the space to put them in and the ability to place them where they want to be (as opposed to where your wife wants them to be  #-o), there are very few, if any, speakers that will give you a better bang for the buck.

The first time I took Bobby over to Jim M's house to hear his Maggies he looked at me and asked "How the heck can something like that produce sound so good????"

I summed up all of my engineering and technical knowledge and gave him the best answer I could......

"F@#*ing Magic"   :thumb:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:57:47 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 05:30:15 AM »
Maggies will always be dear to my heart. Everthing since has not been quite as transparent and detailed with midrange magic that puts you in an awesome place of realism. I will definitely want to hear the new 1.7

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:05:43 AM »
I read over on AC that Bryson AMPs will be paired-up with the Maggie 1.7's when they are introduced at CES later this week.  It will be interesting to read the reports of the sound.  Maybe Shane can possibly poke his head in the room and provide us with his comments!

Ken

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:51:27 AM »
I'll try my best to stop in and give a listen.  Maggies have never really done it for me... so I'll try to be as objective as possible....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »
I'll try my best to stop in and give a listen.  Maggies have never really done it for me... so I'll try to be as objective as possible....

Shane

Did you get a chance to hear the new maggies?

Henry

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:16:44 PM »
not yet... either tomorrow afternoon or Sunday...  they are at T.H.E. Show and today I did the audio portion of CES at the Venetian... I did hear 3.6s in the PS Audio room today and there were the best I've heard the 3.6s.... still not my cup of tea but it was the best I've heard the 3.6s in the dozen or so times I've demoed them....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 04:39:20 AM »
not yet... either tomorrow afternoon or Sunday...  they are at T.H.E. Show and today I did the audio portion of CES at the Venetian... I did hear 3.6s in the PS Audio room today and there were the best I've heard the 3.6s.... still not my cup of tea but it was the best I've heard the 3.6s in the dozen or so times I've demoed them....

Thanks Shane. I am anxiously looking forward to your opinion of the 1.7 Maggie's. I suspect the rest of the Maggies, current and previous owners, want to know as well.
The 3.6 Maggies are just too big for me as they dominate any normal size room. Now if I had the luxury of a dedicated full basement with acoustical treatment, that could be the other ticket for me. Of course the right power amp to drive them goes without saying.

Henry

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 09:31:09 AM »
I auditioned a pair of very small Maggies a couple years ago they sounded bigger than life spatially and had a strong palpable midrange, but just too weird sounding, like colorized wizard of oz. I'd like to hear a grown up pair properly amplified and setup since so many of you guys think they are kittie's meow...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
I auditioned a pair of very small Maggies a couple years ago they sounded bigger than life spatially and had a strong palpable midrange, but just too weird sounding, like colorized wizard of oz. I'd like to hear a grown up pair properly amplified and setup since so many of you guys think they are kittie's meow...

Dey are dey are. A bitch to set up, require loads of juice, space and a forgiving mate. SS with Maggies is a must unless one can afford a powerfull tubed amp. The AR 250 servo has 250 triode Watts. Worked like a charm with the Maggies but 32 yes 32 tubaroonies to replace every 4 to 5 years. Like everything else if it not a problem for ya jump in hook line and sinker. Rich I can almost guarantee the Maggies youheard were NOT set up correctly. They are just too good not to sound right. Really one must hear te 20.1s set up correctly. IMO no speaker at the price of the Maggies can do what they do.

charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 11:46:17 AM »
I showed the 20.1s to my wife. Her face looked like this:
 :shock:

then
 :x

then
:roll:

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »
Oh yeah.  20.1's when set up and driven properly are truly something special.  One of the few that I could live with pretty much forever with no regrets if I had the place to set them up right.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley