Author Topic: 2011 February Mini Rave at Joe's  (Read 12003 times)

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
2011 February Mini Rave at Joe's
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:29:04 PM »
I just want to thank Joe for a nice Saturday get together.  As usual, Joe's system never failed to impress me.  His system throws in a realistic live performance that only a few system can match.  It was great to see Joe, Evan, Mike, Carl, Shek, Paul, Martin, Andrew etc...etc...

The highlight of the gathering was to listen to Joe's system which I think sound very nice and lively.  Carl also brought in his 60 pound SS amp and a matching dual box tube preamp.  It looks like there is a miss match with Carl's amp and Joe's preamp so we are unable to properly listen to Carl's amp clipping at moderate volume levels.  Let's see how it sounds when Carl is done with that.   :thumb:

Finally when everyone left, We listened to Carl's DIY preamp.  His preamp complements Joe's Salk speakers and amp.  It reminds me of the BAT VK-51SE with dual mono configuration, single gain stage and zero negative feedback.  It sounds, open, wide and fast which conveys the singers emotions.  Carl said he can build you one like his for $10K parts only+ labor.  Likewise, Joe's excellent sounding Marantz CDP, Spectron amp and Salk speaker combination made it possible for the great sound over all.  Carl will be modifying Joe's preamp soon.  Stay tuned for that!

We left around midnight.  Hey Chris, talking about magic hour.   :rofl:

Thanks again to Joe for a great day!

Joe's system doing Carl's preamp swap

Carl's preamp and powersupply in Joe's rack

Wooden amp

Carl's tube preamp

Preamp powersupply.  Can you say over built?

Excellent tasting Italian style pizza.  Sweet!   :thumb: 

Fried calmari

Baked calmari

Cheers!

Sweet spot!

AcidJazz

Re: 2011 February Mini Rave at Joe's
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »
Woao...is that Evan in the last photo? Did he get a new hairstyle or what?  :lol:
So we heard the results of modding one's equipment, I thought the bass improved, more controlled and better definition but the midrange became more sterile while gaining resolution. Carl's preamp was quite a contrast, more full bodied, gobs of fluidity, nice punch, with a sweet midrange but as the tunes flowed, I felt the bass had a tad too much bloat. But it did compliment Joe's amp/speaker combo very nicely.
Now the perfect sound (for me ie) would be to have 70/30 bass. 25/75 midrange, 70/30 treble ratio % based on Joe/Carl respective preamps. Sorta the best of both units. Maybe its the 'Holy Grail', but the mind can go there.  :lol:

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:26:09 PM »
Those are very nice shots there, Levi.  I'm surprised.  I couldn't take such nice shots with my G7....  :rofl:

Big fish out of the pond, little fishes get out of hand.  That's what happened, and that's why a great time was had by all, since Joe was home alone  :roll:.  Joe's system has climbed yet a few more notches up the scale.  Nice job, Joe.  The presentation was just hard to ignore.  So we kept going, and I didn't get home 'til late, like after 1 a.m.  Tough getting up this morning.  :rofl:

The system by itself is already that good, giving a very good soundstage, and smooth sound.  When we switched in the Karl preamp creation with Direct Heated Tubes, we got blown away yet one mo' time. :thumb:

Thanks Joe and Karl for the fine teat! :beer:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:34:02 AM »
Thanks Joe, for hosting the mini event. I like these little gatherings..you really get to listen carefully.

Sorry I had to leave early(kids)wish I cold have stayed for Karls preamp swap, I remember you guys had fun last time with that thing :D.

Great food ..great people..great sounds

get ready for the oil chokes!

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28:45 AM »
+1

Rumor has it that someone in the group purchased a bunch of capacitors and oil chokes on the net. :rofl:  Those oil chokes makes a huge difference in sound, Carl has 4 of them in his preamp.  Chokes are great depending on the design of the equipment.  Luckily we have Carl (Karl), he can put it in and listen.  If you don't like it, he can put it back the way it was.  I was going to have Carl add several in my Bryston amps on the spot while I wait.  Perhaps next time.   :thumb:

Thanks Joe, for hosting the mini event. I like these little gatherings..you really get to listen carefully.

Sorry I had to leave early(kids)wish I cold have stayed for Karls preamp swap, I remember you guys had fun last time with that thing :D.

Great food ..great people..great sounds

get ready for the oil chokes!

Mike
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:08:00 AM by Levi »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 06:25:56 AM »
Nice to see Carl's 26 preamp. ;) That is very cool!    I heard rumor that there is another one somewhere but I don't believe it without pics. ;)

Beautiful looking system Joe, I'm sure it sounds even better too. I've heard the speakers and amp on separate occasions and love them both but never heard them together.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:40:36 AM by richidoo »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 06:30:57 AM »
Nice to see Levi posting again. We missed you!
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 06:59:20 AM »
Oh man, NY style pizza, I haven't had that since I moved the ex out of Queens in '84. Any of you NYAR guys recall a place called Sal's in Queens, it was under the elevated train. It's been gone a few years now.

While you were having fun I was schlepping off to Towsand MD to audition the Jasmine phono pre, its a nice unit. I have to get something.

Hey Evan, nice hair, watching a scary movie were you?
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 08:18:01 AM »
hehe. Looks like a good time!
Its cool ndude.

Offline Levi

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:12:05 AM »
Thanks Bob.  Considering my post count vs date registered, I never left.  I am here, there, everywhere!  It's just harder to commit to doing anything nowadays.  :rofl:   

Nice to see Levi posting again. We missed you!

evan1

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »

Nope , out bike riding with Levi. He says it will help me lose  the weight I gained since quitting smoking :thumb:

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »
Nice!
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »
Woao...is that Evan in the last photo? Did he get a new hairstyle or what?  :lol:..................

Yes, that's Evan all right.  He was just the phantom raver, being there for a total of 4 minutes, then he bailed out on a hot date with his granddaughter.  That's why he was all hyped up. :lol:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:40:30 PM by goldlizsts »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 03:27:03 PM »

Nope , out bike riding with Levi. He says it will help me lose  the weight I gained since quitting smoking :thumb:

Well then, I applaud your initiative.  :clap:
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 07:21:51 PM »
Rich,
There is another 26 tube preamp out there, I can assure you of it..it has my transformers in it.
We played with my Tangos and now it has my Tamura's in it. Eventually it will have Karls own hand wound transformers in it :thumb: But that is another story.

While this path has had its share of bumps and bruises, it has shown what is possible when you look past a 6dj8 ssrp preamp. DIY has a distinct advantage over consumer grade gear. It just takes a brave soul to have the time, money and spirit to bear it out.

There are many great ways to achieve sonic bliss. DIY offers the opportunity to hear what only the really big buck stuff can sound like. For reasonable money. If you can live without a fancy chassis, you might like DIY :)

Just wait for the oil chokes....complete game changer(god I love this hobby soemtimes)

mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.