Author Topic: Anyone proficient with Roon?  (Read 4360 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Anyone proficient with Roon?
« on: September 24, 2021, 01:50:06 PM »
I am technically challenged and my Roon shit the bed. I use Roon Rock for over 3 years and recently added quite a bit of music to my NAS storage, Now I cant connect. I gave it 3 hours to synch but the HD busy light is constantly light. In Roon it says it doesn't see me NAS but that directory has not moved or changed in 3 years. Any help is appreciated.

BTW: I should add it was working a week ago now all of a sudden it is NG.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Anyone proficient with Roon?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 08:53:56 AM »
  Clueless sorry. Not a Roon fan.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 10:43:07 AM »
I am technically challenged and my Roon shit the bed. I use Roon Rock for over 3 years and recently added quite a bit of music to my NAS storage, Now I cant connect. I gave it 3 hours to synch but the HD busy light is constantly light. In Roon it says it doesn't see me NAS but that directory has not moved or changed in 3 years. Any help is appreciated.

Just saw your post. Was wondering how long it took to resolve this issue? I’ll get occasional disconnects with an error message asking me if I want to connect with a different core, The solution in my case is to always unplug the power supply to my Auralic Mini and have or reboot.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 06:28:30 AM »
Yes it's the dam Roon updates they do it to me every time . Right now every time I go to it It tells me there was an error with my back up but every time I redo the update it doesn't work and I have to log in. I've found if I restart my computer everything works.Love the sound but hate computers, what you going to do.  :duh
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 09:59:51 AM »
Yes it's the dam Roon updates they do it to me every time . Right now every time I go to it It tells me there was an error with my back up but every time I redo the update it doesn't work and I have to log in. I've found if I restart my computer everything works.Love the sound but hate computers, what you going to do.  :duh

Roon is quite quirky. My Roon core “disappeared “ once for about 2-3 weeks. Tried rebooting my desktop a number of times, rebooting the Auralic Mini as well. Roon support didn’t help and one day the Core just displayed again on the bottom of the screen  :roll:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 12:27:30 PM »

Just saw your post. Was wondering how long it took to resolve this issue? I’ll get occasional disconnects with an error message asking me if I want to connect with a different core, The solution in my case is to always unplug the power supply to my Auralic Mini and have or reboot.

Nick, It took a full day to resolve itself. I came back the next day and was able to get it to work. Not sure if anyone experienced this issue but i have lots of duplicates in my library now. Sucks I have to clean it up now. :(
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 10:07:07 PM »

Nick, It took a full day to resolve itself. I came back the next day and was able to get it to work. Not sure if anyone experienced this issue but i have lots of duplicates in my library now. Sucks I have to clean it up now. :(

Jim,
I think I read about that issue on the Roon forum. I like Roon, have had it for over 5 years and it has a lot of functionality. But I am getting tired of software that’s basically just supported via forums  :roll:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 11:06:49 AM »
I'm a big fan of Roon.  Switched to it 6+ years ago primarily because I had a number of Squeezeboxes at the time and Roon supported them well.  LMS was going nowhere and Roon seemed like a great path forward.  With that said, they have had a few issues over the years.  Then again, every software platform does and Roon has never given me any serious regrets.  Once I switched from running it on an older Win 10 desktop to a NUC running ROCK, it has worked amazingly well.  There was a recent release glitch which appeared to mess up the database.  But to their credit, they resolved it within a couple days.  No harm done - at least for me.

I stream my local music from 4TB USB drive hanging from my NUC which I then backup elsewhere and in the cloud.   I don't use a NAS and I have seen a number of posts from NAS users complaining about Roon issues with some NASes so I've avoided that solution.  I know a few users that use their NAS for backup, but use a separate drive to feed Roon. 

The Roon Community for tech support has been a mixed bag.  In the early years, I thought it was an exceptional resource to resolve issues that, in most cases, were part of my learning curve.  Getting feedback from experienced users was quite helpful.  But given the growth of Roon over the last year or two, the forums have become a bit of a mess and it doesn't take much to start a fire (ah, the nature of online forums, AudioNervosa aside of course).  But if you have an issue and stick primarily to the Support thread, it can still be quite helpful.  And some customers are quite insightful and help in getting things resolved even when Roon support is slow to respond.  Still, I think at some point they will need to adopt more of a ticket-based support system.

I've yet to see a software streaming platform that comes close to Roon if you're a bit of an audiophile and have a sizeable library of you own music.  For me, it has changed how I listen to music and, particularly how I discover new music.  The downside?  It has made me lazy.  I rarely make the effort to spin vinyl much these days.   :duh

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 12:59:59 PM »
I've yet to see a software streaming platform that comes close to Roon if you're a bit of an audiophile and have a sizeable library of you own music.  For me, it has changed how I listen to music and, particularly how I discover new music.  The downside?  It has made me lazy.  I rarely make the effort to spin vinyl much these days.   :duh

Definitely agree with that.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 11:55:28 PM »
I'm a big fan of Roon.  Switched to it 6+ years ago primarily because I had a number of Squeezeboxes at the time and Roon supported them well.  LMS was going nowhere and Roon seemed like a great path forward.  With that said, they have had a few issues over the years.  Then again, every software platform does and Roon has never given me any serious regrets.  Once I switched from running it on an older Win 10 desktop to a NUC running ROCK, it has worked amazingly well.  There was a recent release glitch which appeared to mess up the database.  But to their credit, they resolved it within a couple days.  No harm done - at least for me.

I stream my local music from 4TB USB drive hanging from my NUC which I then backup elsewhere and in the cloud.   I don't use a NAS and I have seen a number of posts from NAS users complaining about Roon issues with some NASes so I've avoided that solution.  I know a few users that use their NAS for backup, but use a separate drive to feed Roon. 

The Roon Community for tech support has been a mixed bag.  In the early years, I thought it was an exceptional resource to resolve issues that, in most cases, were part of my learning curve.  Getting feedback from experienced users was quite helpful.  But given the growth of Roon over the last year or two, the forums have become a bit of a mess and it doesn't take much to start a fire (ah, the nature of online forums, AudioNervosa aside of course).  But if you have an issue and stick primarily to the Support thread, it can still be quite helpful.  And some customers are quite insightful and help in getting things resolved even when Roon support is slow to respond.  Still, I think at some point they will need to adopt more of a ticket-based support system.

I've yet to see a software streaming platform that comes close to Roon if you're a bit of an  :shock:audiophile and have a sizeable library of you own music.  For me, it has changed how I listen to music and, particularly how I discover new music.  The downside?  It has made me lazy.  I rarely make the effort to spin vinyl much these days.   :duh

Roon is a great streaming platform and I’ve discovered such interesting music…mostly old tunes… since I’ve been using it. Their search function still doesn’t work as well as it should. If there is a one letter difference between the song title and what I type in the search bar, Roon should catch that. As to the support section, sometimes I don’t understand what those guys are talking about. That basically is my problem as I’m reasonably good with computers, but get lost when some technical stuff is discussed. One of the hazards of being old  :shock:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS