Author Topic: QoBuz vs Tidal  (Read 3850 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
QoBuz vs Tidal
« on: September 14, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »
  OK gents lots of debate as which has better tonality and harmonics. I have both. QoBuz Studio and Tidal Master. To date Qobuz sounded better. Whats your experience ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: QoBuz vs Tidal
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »
  OK gents lots of debate as which has better tonality and harmonics. I have both. QoBuz Studio and Tidal Master. To date Qobuz sounded better. Whats your experience ?

charles
For me:  Tidal.  Also it is much less clunky with a Mac.  They both fall short of CD.

44.1 NOS rocks! That is my story and I'm listening to it!!!  😎
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 07:46:45 PM »
Qobuz, none up the upper mid-range stridency I hear from Tidal.  That has been a consistent assessment with multiple combinations of streamers, electronics, speakers and cables.  Tidal is only for when something small independent label is not on Qobuz but that is getting to be a less frequent occurance so maybe time to cancel Tidal.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 08:29:26 PM »

charles

That has been my experience as well.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 09:45:57 PM »
I did listening tests some months back, but couldn’t really notice a difference. With new cabling and nos preamp tubes, the system is much more resolving, so I’ll give it a go again. As my listening tastes are quite eccentric, I’m just happy when Tidal or Qobuz has the material....

As Dave also just said, 44.1 nos is just fine with me!
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 04:58:41 AM »
Now I will have to put Qobuz on trial. I wonder if any impressions also have to do with system synergy; I really like the sound of Tidal, but I also realize my system skews toward the warmer side of reality. This may account for me not hearing the stridency that others have expressed regarding Tidal. I’m fairly new to streaming and am still just amazed at what 20 bucks a month gets me.
Please also see my question in a different forum heading regarding streaming from my phone. NOT an audio quality question... Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:00:21 AM by James Edward »
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 08:46:28 AM »
Qobuz, none up the upper mid-range stridency I hear from Tidal.  That has been a consistent assessment with multiple combinations of streamers, electronics, speakers and cables.  Tidal is only for when something small independent label is not on Qobuz but that is getting to be a less frequent occurance so maybe time to cancel Tidal.

Jack agree 100%. I have both as well. Yes time to cancel Tidal. Not an MQA fan either. 44.1 fan and Hi-Rez only recorded in Hi Rez not upsampled.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 09:29:14 AM »
Qobuz sounds best in my system. Running Euphony Stylus instead of Roon was a huge difference also.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 10:47:41 AM »
Qobuz sounds best in my system. Running Euphony Stylus instead of Roon was a huge difference also.

Had not heard of Euphony. Very interesting reading as to the functionality and capability of the Euphony Summus server.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 10:40:59 PM »
I can nit pick and come up with differences in the SQ of Tidal and Qobuz (and if I do Qobuz does come out on top... in my system), but the reality of it all is that both provide very credible sound and either one is certainly good enough to allow you to sit down and enjoy the music.

But for me streaming is not about replacing my other sources of music , but rather expand on them. I use streaming service not as a primary source, but as a way to preview things I might purchase or give me instant access to something that I do not currently have in my library that I want to listen to at that particular moment.

So for me there are two things that are much more important than sound quality when looking at the two service. First, how well does their service integrate with the hardware and software you use for streaming in your system. For a streaming service to be useful it must work easily and seamlessly with your system, otherwise it will end up frustrating you and over time you will just stop using it.  One example that comes to mind is that Amazon Music does not work with Roon and according to Roon in spite of their trying to make that happen, Amazon simply has no desire to make their service Roon compatible. In my case this this makes Amazon Music a non-starter for me. Secondly, and I think most importantly is the fact that these service have different selection criteria when it comes to deciding what music they should carry. You need to take a look at what each of then keeps in their collections and pick the one that most closely matches your music preference so you can get the most out of a subscription. Because let's face it, a music service that carry the kinds of music you like to listen to will not do you much good.

So in my mind the sound quality of both systems is good enough that it should take a back seat in the decision making process and you should choose the service that most easily makes it possible to find and play the music that you want to hear. because in the end, these services are not streaming you sound quality, they are streaming you music and therefore you should let the music guide you to which one is best for your system and musical tastes.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 08:20:27 AM »
Question. I have Tidal logo on my laptop and can play it. I have the logo on my iPad however will not play. Says go to squeezebox.com to adjust. Still cannot get Tidal to play with iPad. Anyone have a clue as what to do ? I hate computers.

charles

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
  • How do you like them apples?
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 04:22:30 PM »
My vote for Qobuz...

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
  • How do you like them apples?
    • Orchard Audio