Author Topic: AUDIOQUEST DRAGONFLY and JITTERBUG  (Read 11196 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
AUDIOQUEST DRAGONFLY and JITTERBUG
« on: May 10, 2016, 11:25:02 AM »
These are the two best under rated, bang for the buck audio gear for your laptop or desktop. Are they the absolute best, of course not. But if you want to jazz up your otherwise drab computer sound, these guys will do the trick and they are cheap enough to have one for all of your computer equipment..

I have these guys installed on my laptop and desktops and they improve the sound tremendously. When paired with a good set of amplified speakers, like the Audioengine A5's, its a hard combination to beat for a shoestring budget.

Audioquest just came out with an improved Dragonfly and it is the bomb for use with headphones. I bought one for my dad to use with his laptop and Grado's. Man what a difference.  :)

I know you can spend more money on better stuff, but for the price and bang for the buck, this Audioquest stuff is hard to beat.

Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: AUDIOQUEST DRAGONFLY and JITTERBUG
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »
If you think the Dragonfly is a bang for the buck winner, then check this little baby out.

http://hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC

It's a Sabre chip DAC with a built in USB cable for $69.

And ... more good news. If you have your tunes stored on your Android phone, you can seriously improve playback of them with this Android compatible Sabre DAC, and use your phone as the source. All for $29

http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/android-dac

Both sound simply amazing and I would bet are on the same par as the Dragonfly.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »
For $100 (give or take a bit) it's quite stunning the sound quality one can get now.

Thank you to both of you!
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 11:42:19 AM »
Wow, that HIfime DAC is pretty impressive.  :o The DAC it uses is on par with the Audioquest stuff and much cheaper.

The reviews I read seem pretty decent. 

I'm surprised I haven't heard of it.  :shock:

Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »
I use the standard DAC on my PC desktop system. I use the Android DAC on the system in the back room, plugging my phone into it as the source. They are both pretty awesome and far better then just the sound card, or the phone's mini jack output.

Offline rpf

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 11:15:36 AM »
I haven't heard the other DACs mentioned above but I recently bought the Dragonfly Red for my laptop. It's really good.   :)
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 01:59:08 PM »
I use the standard DAC on my PC desktop system. I use the Android DAC on the system in the back room, plugging my phone into it as the source. They are both pretty awesome and far better then just the sound card, or the phone's mini jack output.

They will work with an iPhone or android?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
The Android operating system will not work with a regular DAC. You need one purpose built for Android. No idea about iPhone.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 06:56:28 PM »
  Is that a Fly on your Dragon ???

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 06:53:25 AM »
Picked up a Red Friday.

Sounds great through my PC system (JRiver---AudioEngine A2+---Martin Logan el cheapo sub) and my cheap $100 Sennheisers.

-Mike