Author Topic: Caps  (Read 2539 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Caps
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:46:32 AM »
  Over the years cables, tubes and tweaks have brought us closer to audio nirvana. So we thought. Yes a degree of improvement was wrought.
  Saying that my  recent cap adventure has proved to me that we were barking up the wrong tree. As a non technical person modding or just part swapping was a challenge in soldering alone. The other part was what are the results going to be after spending serious money on better parts. cabling and tubes are easy to swap in and out with instant knowledge of the change. With NOS tubes costing more than caps and chokes it was time to make the plunge.
  Got some V-cap tin in oil Teflons for the input and driver stage coupling caps. replacing Auri caps. Much improved everything. However after the long haul a sense of too much Teflon going on. The tone thinned out a bit although accurate and undistorted the soul slipped away. a JPS SC-# IC was being used between Pre and amps. with the V-ca[ps the combo again to much of a good thing. was it the cable ? NO. the cable was revealing the thinning in spades. Later on this was realized [ lucky Richadoo].
  recently visiting a club members home who had installed Jenson paper in oil after the V-cap was a revelatory experience. I know his system like mine. The change brought by that combo was truly amazing. Tone baby one. Soul, engagement, just hits ya in the heart.
   Upon leaving Les says you want to try some .47 Jensen's ? Yes yes and yes. well they are in the amp at the driver tube coulping position and WTF have I been waiting for. $50 bucks for the caps. Not $350 for NOS tubes, hundreds on cables and the like.
  A similar experience was had at Toprounds home when Dave Slagle added some chokes to a preamp power supply. The change immediate and for the good. Really good. The oil choked version [ NOS] was so rich and beautiful without the syrupy presentation.
  If you have a soldering iron and the caps are easily accessable go for it. I put this tweak leaps and bounds over any cable or tube change. Ten fold I would say.
   Preamp next, oh my.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Caps
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:20:16 AM »
  Now that the Jensens have 40 hours on them they have moved in settled down and starting a family. you guys using V-caps try a Jensen after the V-cap and be amazed.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.