Author Topic: What are your favorite IC's and why?  (Read 25311 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
What are your favorite IC's and why?
« on: February 10, 2007, 06:45:52 AM »
I currently have Reality Cables IC's (and SC's) and am looking forward to hearing some of Grover Huffman's cables... since John at BSC recommends them.  It'll be a while before I get them, though.
But up to now the RC's are among the best I've heard at their price point.  I have the ones with Vampire termination and they were about $225 IIRC.  They have a nice, transparent sound that gets out of the way of the music.  

If money were no object, I think I'd prefer Audience Au24.  It has the most natural presentation with the perfect 'pace' that I've ever heard... but at $500+ a pair, I can live without that last percent improvement.

I'm interested in DU's experience with Sonoran, though.  I've heard the name but never experimented with it.

Let's hear it!

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Double Ugly

Re: What are your favorite IC's and why?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 05:45:38 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
I'm interested in DU's experience with Sonoran, though.  I've heard the name but never experimented with it.
Not much to tell, really.  It's just that my long-time preference ($5,750 retail Stealth Indra) were pushed surprisingly hard by the Sonoran Plateau ICs.  If I hadn't already purchased the Indra, I wouldn't have paid the difference - even at my discounted beta-tester prices - over the Sonoran.

With the Indra, you get a little extra tonal 'presence', or realness, if you will; expanded soundstage (far and away the best I've heard - see Srajan's review for more on that); and a way of cleanly removing digital...I don't know...stuff...that seems to be the bane of virtually every system I've ever heard that's connected to anything that isn't spinning vinyl.  Every other cable I've heard - including the Sonoran - cleans it up via some sort of masking.  Some do it better than others, but with the Indra, it's simply not there...at least I can't hear it, and I believe Srajan had something to say about it as well.

If it weren't for those differences, I'd have sold the Indra in favor of the Sonoran, just on principle.  I plan to keep them, though, as a hedge against any future fiscal requirements.  After a week or two with the Sonoran, I doubt I'd miss the Indra all that much.

But as is the case with the Butler Monad monoblocks, I know what I have, and I'm not interested in giving it up unless forced.  Just can't bring myself to do it.

Black Sand Cable

Re: What are your favorite IC's and why?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 09:07:35 AM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
I currently have Reality Cables IC's (and SC's) and am looking forward to hearing some of Grover Huffman's cables... since John at BSC recommends them.  It'll be a while before I get them, though.

-C

As you mentioned I endorse what Grover is doing on the IC side of things. For me it comes down to performance versus price and I have yet to hear anything that comes close to the price / performance ratio that Grover offers. Granted I have not tried everything that is out there but I’m not sure I need to.

Grover is a great guy who makes a good product at a fair price. Not much more I can say.

:D

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 10:13:44 AM »
As I understand, Grover only makes IC's. If I end up with the BSPC's and a pair of the Grover IC's, what speaker cable matches up well with these two?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 10:19:40 AM »
Quote from: "mca"
As I understand, Grover only makes IC's. If I end up with the BSPC's and a pair of the Grover IC's, what speaker cable matches up well with these two?

Grover does speaker wire but to be honest I'm not sure of his prices. I'm also not sure what else he makes. I will shoot him an email and see if I can get him to post on what he all makes.

grover

grover cable
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 04:11:23 PM »
Hi everybody, I am so glad John pointed me to this forum. I hand make cables based on a new and patent pending design. Using multiple ribbons of varying gauge using copper and silver. I only sell the finest cables I can make. I've been selling my cables for 3 years now so I'm fairly new on the scene. I do not have a website yet as I want to get my patent first. Already my cables have been compared to the cables mentioned on this forum, with very excellent results. My goal is to make the finest cables at a very reasonable cost. Making them more accessible to more music lovers. I make all manner of Analogue and digital cables, bi-wire speaker cables, single cable speaker cables. I'm glad to have the opportunity to participate with John making my cables available to you guys. And looking forward to your hearing my work.

Double Ugly

Re: grover cable
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 05:08:16 PM »
Quote from: "grover"
Already my cables have been compared to the cables mentioned on this forum, with very excellent results. My goal is to make the finest cables at a very reasonable cost.
I don't know if you were referring to the Indra when you say "cables mentioned on this forum", but I'll be happy to compare them to the Indra if you like.  I'll even post a comparative review on this forum.

Regards,

-Jim

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »
I'll be comparing them to the Straley Cables and possibly some Audience Au24 if I can.

-C

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 08:21:35 PM »
I've only tried the Conductor of the Audience line, but was impressed considering the price point.  I'm told the Au24 is several steps beyond the Conductor in terms of performance, and should be a very good IC.

I look forward to your thoughts.

grover

grover cable
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:37:13 AM »
Yes the Indra and the Au24. My cables have replaced these in systems. Think of the money you'll have when you sell the Indra. Is it possible for a $150 dollar cable to best a $5000 cable. It is. And this is why I'm in this business.

shep

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 10:01:50 AM »
If this proves to be true, I want a set, by yesterday. Given how controversial and conflict-laden this subject is, I shall be following it like a dog after a very meaty bone! As much asI hate to admit it, I'm a total sucker from things that cost 150 being as good as those costing 5000!
In fact, I own proof of that (well sort of), 50$ worth of solid core speaker wire from Singapore that is absolutely splendid. So let us please hear much more :D

Double Ugly

Re: grover cable
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 08:35:21 PM »
Quote from: "grover"
Yes the Indra and the Au24. My cables have replaced these in systems. Think of the money you'll have when you sell the Indra. Is it possible for a $150 dollar cable to best a $5000 cable. It is. And this is why I'm in this business.
I doubt it surprises you when I say I've heard similar comments about other cables, only to be disappointed when I auditioned them in my system.

That said, I look forward to the comparison, and so should you.  I couldn't care less what the cables and components in my system cost, only about how they sound.  If I found a $10 cable that improved the sound of my system, I'd replace the Indra in a heartbeat.  

In case that wasn't clear, if your cables outperform the Indra, they will find a permanent place in my system.

As for the money I'll have if/when I sell the Indra, I have two (2) 1m pairs, so I guess I'll have double the fun.  :wink:

Regards,

-Jim

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 05:39:59 AM »
I'm right there with Jim... if it sounds good, I don't care about the money... which goes both ways... I can just easily pay less for great sound as I can pay more. ;)  Who wouldn't like that?

I'll work with Grover today or tomorrow on starting the group buy.  I've had a lot of stuff come up recently that has kept me from doing the AudioNervosa stuff.

-C

Double Ugly

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »
Grover vs. Indra Update -

The ballots aren't in yet, but regardless of the outcome, Grover's cables are the real deal.  For the money, definitely a no-brainer purchase IMHO.  

I don't know that they'll be replacing the Indra - that's a mighty tall order - but I'll be keeping the cables Grover sent.  They're simply too good to send back.

-Jim

lonewolfny42

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 01:15:37 AM »
Jim:
I don't know that they'll be replacing the Indra - that's a mighty tall order - but I'll be keeping the cables Grover sent. They're simply too good to send back.

Care to "loan" me the Grover's for a listen ? Thanks..... :wink:

Chris