Author Topic: Analysis Plus Toslink cable  (Read 4519 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Analysis Plus Toslink cable
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:29:15 AM »
Being very happy with my recent purchase of the Bluesound Node I began to experiment a bit to push the limits on its SQ. I have used it primarily as the way to stream Tidal into my main system. The sound from Tidal was very good,, but, especially on classical recordings, the soundstage seemed more constricted than what I was used to hearing. At first I thought it might have been a limitation of Tidal itself, but then I made some lossless rips on my computer (the most informative of which was the Ansermet Scheherazade) and even with then the computer files played via the node seemed to compress the size of the image , both in with and depth as compared to playing the ripped CD through the same DAV (the original version of the Eastern Electric).

I had pretty much resigned myself t the fact that it was just a limitation of the Node unit itself when I got an email from Audio Advisor pushing a Toslink cable from Analysis Plus claiming that this was the first optical cable that sounds as good as a coax.

Over the years I had tried several different Toslink cables between my CD transport and DAC and found that A0 they all sounded pretty much the same and B) None of them sounded as good as a coax cable. But in the case of the Node I only have a Toslink output and since the cable was only $39 and it had a money back guarantee I figure what the heck I'd give it a try.

Well it arrived about a week ago and I put it in the system. I played the Scheherazade rip and BAM!, even with the cable ice cold, right out of the box the soundstage just exploded out to where it is with the CD and maybe even just a touch wider. (I don't know, is there really any such thing as break in on an optical cable?)

Now I need to do some more critical listening to determine if I like the computer file better than the CD overall as there bat be some differences in detail,  performance at the frequency extremes and overall tonality that could sway my preference one way or they other, but the most obvious sonic shortfall of the Node hooked up with the generic optical cable I had laying around the house was the soundstage and that problem is solved with this Analysis Plus cable. It may not be the best overall option, or even the best optical cable that I could put on the Node, but it sure upped the Node's performance quite a few notches in my book, and for $39, that's quite a bargain.

I was very happy with the Node and Tidal before thinking that the small decrease in SQ was a worthwhile tradeoff for all of the access to music that I got from Tidal, but now I don't feel like I am making any tradeoff at all. And I feel comfortable with the SQ I will get when ripping CDs to my computer for file based playback.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Analysis Plus Toslink cable
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:03:31 AM »
   Actually no break in at all . BRILLIANT !!    ENJOY !!!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
I like toslink better than an HDMI connection from my Xbox to the receiver. 
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:40:53 PM »
If you care to explore another toslink cable, check these guys out, from NY no less-

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

I bought a short maybe 20" "B-Stock" for around $40. Very high quality look and feel. 470 glass fiber optic strands. Looks like the AP is not a glass fiber cable and they tout this as a positive, however it seems like the glass fibers are the preferred substrate based on internet perusal.

Who knows, maybe the Lifatec might even raise the bar a little more. And based on the audiophile dollar scale its a bargain for < $100.

-Mike

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 05:33:13 AM »
I have read things but for and against glass figers in toslink cables. The people who are for them say that glass can be made optically purer than a synthetic (plastic) fiber and will therefore provide a better, more error free transmission path. Those who are against the use of glass in audio applications claim that while in a pristine condition glass may work better, in the real world it is much more fragile than other fiber materials and gets micro crack when moved around and especially when bent and those crack cause optical leakage and internal reflections and that in that condition, the glass is not better.

From an engineering standpoint I can understand the theoretical arguments on both side, but they are just that, theories. Like anything else in this hobby the real proof is in the listening.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables