Author Topic: Re: Dave's IC's  (Read 90771 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Dave's IC's
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2013, 07:26:09 PM »
Thanks SN for that review. I looked up the Harmonic Tech Magic Link Two's...$820   A bit..actually..way too much $$$ for my taste. I'm looking forward to getting Dave's cables. Anyone know where I am in the queue I am ?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

maxima95

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2013, 05:48:35 AM »
SN stated that he was using the Harmonic Technologies Truth Link 1 for his comparisons.  The Truth Link 1's have been around for a while and cost approximately $300 new.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2013, 06:31:42 AM »
NickB & Maxima95

I just want to clarify things so everyone knows what the comparisons were.  The H.T. cables are loaners from a friend.  They are NOT the latest models from Harmonic Technology.  Honestly, I'm not sure they are even available from H.T. anymore.  AFAIK, the Magic Link 1's are the newer and better of the two H.T. cables used here.

> Note to "Lissnr" - Please confirm I have the H.T. models listed correctly here. <

I put a pair of H.T. Pro Silway 2's between my amp and pre and a pair of H.T. Magic Link 1's between my pre and DAC.  This became my new "baseline" (reference) sound.

My comparisons were now done by swapping out the H.T. Magic Link 1's with each of Dave's I/C's between my DAC and Pre-amp.  The H.T. Pro Silway 2's between my amp and pre stayed in place.

I hope this helps.

SN
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:47:34 AM by StereoNut »
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

DaveC

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2013, 07:32:35 AM »
Good review SN.

The ML IC cables are also UPOCC copper using Furutech plugs with a rhodium plating.

It sounds like SN's personal preference is quite a bit different than mine.... the "fuller richer sound" of the ML ICs and "weight" of the QED SCs are not what I'm going for. "Clean, clear and detailed" is what I'm after, and I'm glad you noticed that in my cables.  :thumb:

I am happy when I can hear into the music as much as possible, I want my system to sound forward and detailed without being harsh, edgy or fatiguing. I'm looking for as accurate and neutral as possible, I don't want added warmth, body, extra harmonics or anything else. I just want to hear what's (actually) there.

So the ML IC cables seem to have the opposite goal in mind: "Harmonic Technology's Truth-Link interconnect cable has the ability to smooth out any systems that has a tendency towards brightness."

It is possible the high capacitance is responsible for the stated goal (60 pF/ft is more than double the capacitance of my cables). But this is the opposite design philosophy that I have. There's nothing wrong with that, as system synergy and personal preference are the most important thing. It sounds like my cables weren't a good fit with either synergy or personal preference in this case, which is also ok.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2013, 07:36:39 AM »
  Nice review for what you listened too. I'm learning that each cable takes some serious time to settle. Especially the DD.
   IMO unless fully broken a love and hate relationship right now. The midrange of the DD is loosing its frowardness as the rest of the frequency range is starting to come through. The top a tad rolled off now similar to the Duelund cap break in sound. 800 F'n hours.
   Last night playing LPs only the DD was in between the QOL and Arions. Using Crystal Tone arm cable and Tara Decade for Preamp to QOL. CDP using D2 to preamp.
   Me thinks the DD is something to write home about even in its state. Timbre and harmonics are berry berry good. I'm hearing info not heard before in that manner, a good thing. Tonality is spotty as again still changing.
   I HATE BREAK IN. Think about it. My gear is being wasted. All cable manufacturers should fully break in the cable before sending out.
  A necessary evil ?? I do not think so. By the time one breaks them in the 30 day period is almost gone leaving for some not enough time to truly evaluate. My pet peeve.
   I guess for me after breaking in several components, cables and tubes for the Capitol Audiofest , I need a break in break.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »
Thanks for the clarification on the HT cables
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

DaveC

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2013, 08:22:33 AM »
Thanks SN for that review. I looked up the Harmonic Tech Magic Link Two's...$820   A bit..actually..way too much $$$ for my taste. I'm looking forward to getting Dave's cables. Anyone know where I am in the queue I am ?

Here is the tour list from a few pages back...

StereoNut  (NY) 
Bob M  (NY)
sleepyguy24  (NY)
mdfoy  (PA)
Nick B  (UT)
bpape  (MO) -last on the list, keeps for 3-4 weeks

So it looks like sleepyguy is next up, please send SN and me a pm letting us know you are ready.  :)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »
Dave & Charles:
Thanks for the kind words.

NickB:
You're welcome!  BTW - I've traded PM's with Sleepyguy24 already. We are working on getting the cables to him one night this week once he sees what his schedule looks like.

Everyone:
I just want to say that regardless of system synergy and my own personal taste, Dave's products are a "must" audition.  The only way to know if they "fit" your system is to TRY them!

Secondly, in response to some of Dave's comments back to me... I think that my electronics have a lot to do with my cable preferences.  Even though my Dodd battery powered VGP Pre-amp (4) and my N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 (7) have eleven (11) tubes between them, they do NOT have a fat, overly "tubey" sound.  These two components give my system a lot more detail and resolution than I ever thought tube equipment could; especially the Dodd.  Yes, I know this is coming from a former SS guy who never had any experience with tubes before... but to quote Genesis "I know what I like" :D 

Again, it's all comes down to personal preference.  That's why cable and equipment tours are so helpful to everyone that takes advantage of them.

Kudos again to Dave for making this tour possible. :thumb:

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2013, 08:41:10 AM »
[Everyone:
I just want to say that regardless of system synergy and my own personal taste, Dave's products are a "must" audition.  The only way to know if they "fit" your system is to TRY them!

Agreed. Three different flavors and 3 different price points. Definitely something in there for everyone to like, whatever your taste's. Check them out.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2013, 09:16:18 AM »
Stereonut

Im sure you need more than one set of interconnect for your rig.

Were all your Harmonic Techs switched out for Dave's when auditioning?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »
Does Dave have a 30 year payment plan? Whats my rate? Can I get a 5/1 Arm please or maybe variable with a low upfront cost?  :rofl:
Its cool ndude.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2013, 02:55:02 PM »
Stereonut

Im sure you need more than one set of interconnect for your rig.

Were all your Harmonic Techs switched out for Dave's when auditioning?

You gotta read the post(s) again, Emil.  For Dave's I/C cables, I left the one pair of H.T. cables in place between my amp and pre-amp and just swapped Dave's I/C's in/out between my Pre-amp and DAC.

For his speaker cables, I left the H.T. interconnects in both places (Amp <> Pre and Pre <> DAC) and only swapped my QED speaker cables out for his.

I hope this helps!

Bill

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »
Does Dave have a 30 year payment plan? Whats my rate? Can I get a 5/1 Arm please or maybe variable with a low upfront cost?  :rofl:

Mike

You'll need to PM Dave on pricing.  His cables are NOT Kilo-buck products!

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »
you gotta read the post(s) again, Emil

No, you cant make me.

That begs the question of whether all the interconnects should be of the same brand when auditioning? Are we hearing the interaction between the two different ICs?

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

DaveC

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »

Mike

You'll need to PM Dave on pricing.  His cables are NOT Kilo-buck products!

SN

True!

Every cable is under $500 with the possible exception of speaker cables depending on length and connectors. And the speaker cables are being sold for the retail price of parts used to make them so you couldn't make them yourself for any less.

@Charles, I did ask if you wanted me to break them in before I sent them to you.  ;)   I have a little system set up with a tripath amp and power resistors instead of speakers so I can break them in if needed. Most folks won't want to wait an additional 2 weeks before they ship though...

@Emil, I think SN did a good job reporting the way the cables sound. I also did not supply 2 sets of each cable, only one. Plus, the D2 and DD are quite different so I'm not sure using both at the same time would give you a better feel for them... although I do like the combination of using one set of D2 and one set of DD in my system at the same time quite a bit.