Author Topic: should I get better Ethernet cables?  (Read 10962 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: should I get better Ethernet cables?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 07:01:37 PM »
Charles, a question for you that is somewhat off topic , but still related to this thread. If I am correct when you talk about using the TWL Ethernet cable, you are using it as a digital interconnect between components, correct?

So my question is this, when Innuous provides ports for Ethernet connections between components, are the running standard Ethernet protocol signals over them or is it just an RJ45 connector that is used to send a proprietary digital signal over a standard Ethernet cable?

Or in other words, is the signal that comes out of they port the same protocol that is used to talk to routers and computers, or is it an audio specific digital format?

Just curious. :-k

I use the Ethernet cable in a dedicated I2S connection between Transport and DAC. Innuos runs standard Ethernet cable from Router to server. My comments relate to cable between transport and DAC not from Router to server. There I use a shielded 12' Monolith Cable.

charles

Thanks, that is what I thought.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 10:29:34 PM »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2021, 12:45:09 PM »
Charles, a question for you that is somewhat off topic , but still related to this thread. If I am correct when you talk about using the TWL Ethernet cable, you are using it as a digital interconnect between components, correct?

So my question is this, when Innuous provides ports for Ethernet connections between components, are the running standard Ethernet protocol signals over them or is it just an RJ45 connector that is used to send a proprietary digital signal over a standard Ethernet cable?

Or in other words, is the signal that comes out of they port the same protocol that is used to talk to routers and computers, or is it an audio specific digital format?

I use the Ethernet cable in a dedicated I2S connection between Transport and DAC. Innuos runs standard Ethernet cable from Router to server. My comments relate to cable between transport and DAC not from Router to server. There I use a shielded 12' Monolith Cable.

charles

As an aside just buy an iFi wall wart for the Router. Gonna be a happy camper.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 01:02:47 PM »

charles

charles

Thanks, Charles. You’ve given me very good advice in the past. The ifi is $99 on Audio Advisor. When I’m ready to crawl around on my hands and knees, I’ll check what the dc voltage is on the ASUS router
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 09:06:52 AM »

charles

charles

Thanks, Charles. You’ve given me very good advice in the past. The ifi is $99 on Audio Advisor. When I’m ready to crawl around on my hands and knees, I’ll check what the dc voltage is on the ASUS router
+1 on the router supply.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 09:54:50 AM »

charles

charles

+1 on the router supply.

Dave, I was wondering what you’d say about this. My ASUS is a pretty decent wireless router…probably paid about $170 for it. The factory power supply is a 19v, 2.37A  LPS. At Audio Advisor, the highest dc voltage ps is 15v. That’s for the $99 version Charles was talking about. I’ll search some more, but likely I’d not want want to pay more than $100 for this experiment.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2021, 11:03:25 AM »
Not finding any lps around 19v that is described as ultra low noise and reasonable as to cost. Suggestions welcome…
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2021, 06:27:02 PM »
I ordered a Supra 2 meter Ethernet cable on ebay last night. Should have it by Friday. Also sent an email today to Acopian regarding which of their power supplies I might be able to use for my 19v  2.37A  ASUS router. Once I get an answer from them, I’ll see if I can find a good deal on ebay
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2021, 10:43:02 PM »
The Supra Ethernet cable arrived today (thanks Scotty!) and I placed it from the wall to my ASUS router. I wasn’t expecting much, but was hoping for a lot though! Well, it was a heck of an improvement. Again, it quite surprised me. Now, some months back, I had switched cable providers so I receive a signal from a tower to a new dish on my roof with new wiring down the wall and a new connector as well.

The sound is richer and more detailed. As the reviewers might say, more “fleshed out”
I only spent about $60 on eBay and it was money very well spent. The next thing I want to do is get an Acopian linear power supply that is adjustable to 19V. I will use that as the power supply for my Asus wireless router. I’m hoping to be able to get it for under $100 on eBay.

Well, back to enjoying some good tunes 🎶🎶
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2021, 09:51:35 AM »
The Supra Ethernet cable arrived today (thanks Scotty!) and I placed it from the wall to my ASUS router. I wasn’t expecting much, but was hoping for a lot though! Well, it was a heck of an improvement. Again, it quite surprised me. Now, some months back, I had switched cable providers so I receive a signal from a tower to a new dish on my roof with new wiring down the wall and a new connector as well.

The sound is richer and more detailed. As the reviewers might say, more “fleshed out”
I only spent about $60 on eBay and it was money very well spent. The next thing I want to do is get an Acopian linear power supply that is adjustable to 19V. I will use that as the power supply for my Asus wireless router. I’m hoping to be able to get it for under $100 on eBay.

Was the Supra cable you got on eBay the CAT 7 or CAT 8?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2021, 10:17:01 AM »

Tom, I got the CAT 8 per Scotty’s link. Glad I didn’t fiddle with trying a Blue Jeans
or a Monoprice. They might have been sufficient, but I’m quite happy I went straight to the Supra  :thumb:

http://www.jenving.com/products/view/cat-8-stp-patch-frhf-blue-2m-1001908639
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 10:33:11 AM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2021, 12:57:13 PM »
  I recommended the Monoprice as I thought it sounded better in my system than the Supra.   Glad now you realize a difference can be had. That is all that matters. Enjoy the new sound.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2021, 01:47:33 PM »
  I recommended the Monoprice as I thought it sounded better in my system than the Supra.   Glad now you realize a difference can be had. That is all that matters. Enjoy the new sound.

charles

Thanks, Charles. I should have inquired further. Yes, quite a difference indeed  :thumb:
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2021, 01:52:16 PM »

https://www.telco-data.com/cat5e-vs-cat6-vs-cat7-vs-cat8/

According to this article CAT 7 is not standardized, so there will be construction and connector differences across manufacturers.  If you need faster throughput over short distances, goto CAT 8, as that is its only advantage over 6A.    Otherwise, CAT 6A is fine.
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC