Author Topic: Is there a good diy active sub xover?  (Read 15947 times)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Is there a good diy active sub xover?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »
Forward firing Onix UFW10 with the PE amp, though I ordered the needed caps to replace the cheap Chinese ones that blew on all the original amps.

I need to find another blown one on ebay and buy it for short money.

I've repaired two of the Onix Rocket UFW10 subs by replacing the bad caps. I've got links to threads with pictures if you need help. If you can solder, it's very easy.

Let me know if I can help.
Bob

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »
"I had a G2g a last winter sometime and I put a lot of bass absorbtion in the corners...."

Was that before you made your custom panels? I really liked those.

Not for nothing, listening to Porcupine Tree LOUD, and digging it. Think I may be almost there, though do need a stereo sub. Recent addition of TWL power cord a very nice tweek, and replaced a weak Tele in pre offset imaging imbalance I'd developed.

Though I'll probably hear something at CAF that will set me off.

Heard some OB speakers I loved last year, though went back in afternoon and they s*cked, go figure.

Breaking my bass out seperate is nice so far, the mids and high end 'crisper', guess cuz neither main amp nor lower speaker drivers are dealing with those big, fat low frequencies.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »
Thanks Bob - help is always good. I PMed with the guy on AVSForum who outlined the MWF15 repair, he said UFW10 repair was just a variation on the theme.

But I'm open to anything you have that's specific to the UFW10.

Yup - can solder, did all my speaker xover repairs. But I do suffer from 'fat finger disease'.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »
You're welcome.
>> HERE'S a thread << on a forum dedicated to bad capacitors.
Yea...there's a forum for bad caps and it's called "Badcaps.net".... go figure.  :lol:

Anyway, I come along halfway through page three, of this five page thread, complete with all my photographs.

The first sub took me a long time to repair. The second one I repaired in just a few minutes. The "tip-toeing" into the first unit took quite a while. Once I knew what I was doing, I barged into the second one like gangbusters.

To date, they're both working perfectly and my son tortures them on a regular basis.

Lemme know if I can help further.
Bob

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 07:50:22 PM »
"I had a G2g a last winter sometime and I put a lot of bass absorbtion in the corners...."

Was that before you made your custom panels? I really liked those.

Thanks..
It was last fall I think. I had the panels up also, these were big ugly things in the corners.