Author Topic: G2G @ Rich's October 9  (Read 32670 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: G2G @ Rich's October 9
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »
Com'on Rich...how else do you expect us to build up our systems  :twisted:!!!

Funny!   :D   I should have suspected you

I remember putting it "somewhere" after the meet, I think... But I just can't remember, I was scatter brained during the meet and hungover the next day when i was cleaning up. It'll show up. If not, time to buck up for the purple wires.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2010, 11:16:26 AM »
Found it, in the base of the right speaker, in the music room. Thanks for looking.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2010, 11:18:45 AM »
Found it, in the base of the right speaker, in the music room. Thanks for looking.

I thought the bases look big from the pictures, but big enough to lose components in? Wow!  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2010, 04:00:37 PM »
The phase switch on the W4S DAC2 was set to reverse phase during the G2G. This was discovered when John received the DAC. I didn't read the manual or examine the rear panel so it went unnoticed. I don't know if that would affect the sound of the DAC to account for the impressions given here, but it is a possible explanation for the discrepancy between our experience and the positive reviews posted elsewhere. Comments on the effect of phase switch are welcome, especially in regard to DAC2. Thanks!
Rich

Bigfish8

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »
The phase switch on the W4S DAC2 was set to reverse phase during the G2G. This was discovered when John received the DAC. I didn't read the manual or examine the rear panel so it went unnoticed. I don't know if that would affect the sound of the DAC to account for the impressions given here, but it is a possible explanation for the discrepancy between our experience and the positive reviews posted elsewhere. Comments on the effect of phase switch are welcome, especially in regard to DAC2. Thanks!
Rich

The W4S DAC has been out for a few months now and I would be interested in what folks have found to the best server and connection to this DAC?  I would also be interested in hearing from folks that have played around with the phase switch.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2010, 07:11:41 AM »
I saw this thread on AC this morning. Apparently the W4S needs a very long break in, like 600-1000 hours, and it's a nut case before that. That's a long time for a source component. If you only listen an hour a day you would never hit it! I had it on 24/7 for 3 weeks repeating Frybaby track at night and I think I just brought it up to the shrill stage. Also there appears to be adjustments for the output filter. I didn't notice that. Maybe it is DIPs inside, or software?  I started to read the manual when I first hooked it up, but I got distracted and blew it off.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86354.0

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2010, 08:13:57 AM »
Wish I would've known.. I would've liked to have heard it (at all) but also in my system.. and I had nothing but burn-in time available in October.
I really enjoy listening to music.