Author Topic: Pathos Classic One MKII  (Read 16420 times)

bacobits

Pathos Classic One MKII
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »
Has anyone tried this amp with single driver speakers?
Or, just owned this amp and has some comments?
I know it likes 89db and above speakers and stable loads.

I have one on the way. We shall see. It has gotten good reviews all over.
I will comment more when it arrives. My room is not operable since we moved in just last week.

Den

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Pathos Classic One MKII
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »
  Heard the previous model with Gallo speakers and KEF very nice. Enjoy !!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
Sure is a pretty amp. Italian design is gorgeous

http://www.pathosacoustics.com/classiceng.htm

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:09:57 PM »
 So what will you be mating this amp with ? Pre, speakers, CDP, cables.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

bacobits

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:59:29 AM »
These.
http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/17.html

I had always wanted  to try out this hybrid amp.
She is sure purdy. Hope it sounds that way.
Here we go, mucking with things.

Den
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:02:11 PM by bacobits »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:27:21 AM »
 The amp should fit in just fine. Happy listening.

charles

bacobits

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »
Just a short update. When I first hooked up the Pathos I said to myself oh shit what did I do?
After listening to it of awhile I started to hear the potential of what has been mentioned in rave reviews of this amp. This amp is dependent on the speaker you use with it. The single driver Brines FT1600II are not the best match. The Pathos would not integrate my sub too well either. I have never before heard this happen. So, I sold the sub and purchased full range speakers. After looking at the specs carefully and some comments from Richie's expertise I decided to go with Usher CP6371's. These compliment the Pathos Classic One MKII quite well. Now I can hear what this amp is capable of. Noticeably faster, beautiful tone, midrange, and one hell of a grip on the bass. I'm a tube guy and had been for awhile. This is a MOSFET Hybrid and damn if it doesn't sound like a tube amp. Nice layering of the instruments and a deeper wider soundstage.
Very happy with the combo right now. I just have to play with placement and these speakers are keepers.
Getting closer to that "nth" degree of real that is so elusive.

These puppies are heavy,100lbs for the speaker and a cast base is adding another 50lbs.
Poor Fed Ex guy! Kudos to Fed Ex though for getting them here without damage.

D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:14:16 AM by bacobits »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »
Where's the pictures?!!!    :drool:

bacobits

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 04:34:54 PM »
OK, speakers not placed yet. :thumb:

D

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »
Looking good Babs. What is that tuned amp doing on glass eh ? Dem tubes are a vibrating. Herbies to the rescue, you'll be glad you did. Da tubes will love ya. :thumb:

charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 08:43:18 AM »
Wow, they really look nice.  All you gear is pretty, you have good taste!  Thanks for shooting some for us.

bacobits

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:50:17 AM »
Herbies smaller tender feet under amp.
I also have here Iso cups with ebony balls,
Carbon/graphite cones etc, etc.
A potent involving sound.
Now I can hear what all the fuss about this amp is.

D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:21:32 PM by bacobits »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 07:44:09 AM »
Herbies smaller tender feet under amp.
I also have here Iso cups with ebony balls,
Carbon/graphite cones etc, etc.
A potent involving sound.
Now I can hear what all the fuss about this amp is.

D

Cool. ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

charles

Deton Nation

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 06:35:31 PM »
Sweet! Looks like a really nice system!!!! Enjoy
Mike

bacobits

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 08:37:37 AM »
A bit of an update on what I was doing here and some of the trials of getting there. I wish I could hear this stuff before hand, but it ain't gonna happen. So I rely on the reviews and my taste.

I guess now I have become a "Sand Man". Since the purchase of the Pathos Classic One MKII I have changed my mind on sand amps. It's been a long time since I owned one ( Classes' 25, BALLS!). The Pathos has changed my whole system. Thanks to my accountant I was able to go there. I had heard some great solid state amps but they were out of my price range, even used.  

My Brines Single drivers were not doing it with this amp, it also did not get along well with my sub. That has never happened before with a piece of equipment. People were telling me to go "full Range" young man. So, looking for a proper match I changed to the Usher 6371's, 90db, and 4 ohms which means the Pathos puts out 130 watts /ch now. With the Raysonic 128 the sound I'm getting just floored me. Very much of what Sam Tellig heard when he first reviewed the Pathos Classic way back. It is not a slam amp which is more what I'm used too, but it has tone, emotion, and finesse.
Geeze, I don't get around much to listen to other systems. I'm having a blast with this arrangement..

I had changed my wires to Signal Analog 2 from my Home Grown Solid Silver. These are nice for the $$
and still breaking in. The system now is on the warmer side of neutral. Separation, staging, tone, timbre,
and "boogie" is all there.

Next, comes my Phono. It was not doing what I'm hearing from Digital. WHAT?
So I decided to sell my EE Mini Max Phono which I have loved for awhile now but missed better adjustability. This amp is a bit compatibilty challenged? But man, when it clicks it's damn cool.
Cartridge change will come later. The Phono replacement has to be very adjustable. That means solid state most of the time and in a price around $1K new or used. I'm not going into Steelhead or Art Audio territory although I would like to. Ok, I did a lot of reading the last 2 weeks. Almost bought a Ray Samules Nighthawk that came out a few months ago. The price now has gone up from the $650 intro to $835 shipped. No formal reviews except from users on the AC board. 6 Moons has it listed to review it later on. I decided it was too expensive. You see, I really like used prices for what you can get at that $ level. After much thought I purchased a Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena for a good price. It is well reviewed and favorably thought of the last 3 years. It has all the adjustments you could possibly want and also is rechargeable battery operated. We'll see it's on it's way. I will report back next week.

So, as it is, my whole system has changed for the better because of this amp. I did not expect to change all of it. In fact I almost turned around the Pathos when I first fired it up. I'm glad I didn't. I could hear there was much more there. This time I matched the speakers to the amp. It is usually the other way around of me.

More to come.

D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:55:00 AM by bacobits »