Author Topic: MiniMax Phono Pre what tubes?  (Read 19502 times)

bacobits

MiniMax Phono Pre what tubes?
« on: February 14, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Carlman, what tubes are you running in your Mini Max Phono Pre?

I heard something awhile ago that Bill and Alex are coming out with a  new model?
Economy might screw that up.

Den

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: MiniMax Phono Pre what tubes?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:30:02 PM »
I can't remember what I'm using at the moment just NOS cheapies and the stock rectifier.. A Tungsol 6x4 is what I'd normally use.  If you find at least 1 or 2, let me know where you find them.  They were cheap and easy to find, now not as much.

I'm not sure how anyone could want more from a phono preamp.  It's alive and detailed with a little tube bloom but everything is in balance.  If it doesn't sound right, it's either bad tubes, or something else in the chain.

I've heard groove tubes sound good in it... they accentuated the bass a little.  I can't remember what the best were.. Bill might chime in with some various flavors.  I lean towards a neutral sound personally.. maybe a little warmth, but not cozy-warm, just 'real' sounding... whatever that is.

-C

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:38:52 AM »
I'm using the same phono pre and I have to ditto Carl's comments on the Minimax... great little phono preamp.   Unfortunately, I'm not at home this weekend and don't remember which tubes I've got in it.  I do remember that the stock tubes Bill includes are very good but that Bill also recommends a set of higher-end tubes that really do take it to the next level.

I suggest contacting Bill on this.   Great guy and no doubt he'll be able to give you excellent advice.

bacobits

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 08:43:16 AM »
I'm using right now the Tungsol 6X4 and 2 GT 12AX7 tubes on the outside and a NOS GE 5751 (lower gain) Tripple Mica in the middle. I do have 3 Russian 5751's but I did not try them in all 3  positions because of the lowered gain involved. You can also use 2 5751's in the outsdide positions and a 12AX7 in the middle. I did not try it so I can't comment on the sound.
It is a very good Phono Pre and I have no desire to change it out. I also use 3 NOS Tungsgram 12AX7 at times a bit more detailed depending on cartridge. These are getting hard to find and not really cheap.What is?
I think Martin G. DeWolf liked expensive Mullards or something I'd have to check the review.

Bill O is a great guy, and conversed with him since I used to have all EE equipment.

Thanks for the replies!

Den

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 08:52:47 AM »
If I were to pick my favorite tubes for the phono pre I probably would go with the Amperex 12ax7's, I have some marked Zenith made in Holland and these just sound perfect to me.
 I know Martin DeWulf (editor of Bound For Sound) loves Telefunken 12AX7's in his but I'm not sure if he is using smooth plates or ladder.
 Other tubes that sound great in the phono are: RCA 5751's, these do vocals so stunningly that I'm not sure if any other tube rolling is necessary,albeit they do have a touch of warmth which I prefer.
 The Sylvania Gold brand 5751's are also wonderful but very pricey nowadays if you can even find them.
 The new reissued Mullard 12ax7 also sound very nice, full bodied  :drool: would best describe them again with a touch of warmth.
 The Russian 12AX7LPS are wonderful and these are super quiet also. Any I have tried are dead quiet, great current production tube, very natural in their presentation.
 Not to leave out the old RCA blackplate 12AX7 from the 50's, fantastic tube with the warmth that is so seductive it is hard to fault as it just submerges you into the music. Go great with scotch! :rofl:
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline tybee

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 06:48:17 PM »
Bill,

Your response was timely as I was about to dabble in another 12AX7 direction for my MM Phono.  I am currently using 12AX7LPS on the outside and a Mullard reissue on the inside which has been ok, but I will look from some RCAs and Amperex.  Since I have been putting some hours on the unit, it has really opened up nicely. 

I am also considering sending my unit to Tom Tutay for his upgrade (improved power supply as well as some parts changes if needed). 

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 07:00:42 AM »
Tom's the man to do the work for sure. He has tweaked mine to perfection. Don't send it in yet as he is working on a preamp for me as I bought some 4.7uf Mundorf Silver gold/oil caps for my MiniMax linestage and the Mundorf's are so big there is just no way they would ever fit. I was going to build an extension to house them in but even then it would be a pretty ugly mess so he is just building me one of his custom preamps with seperate power supply,6X5 rectification using 12SN7's in a cathode follower design, XLR & RCA inputs as my Apogee minidac has XLR outs. This should be one terrific piece with dual 31 stepped potentiometers and the Mcap Supreme gold/silver/oils.
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:48 AM »
This should be one terrific piece with dual 31 stepped potentiometers and the Mcap Supreme gold/silver/oils.

I'll say! Similar circuit to minimax? IT IS SO FAST! Can't wait to hear all about it Bill - have fun!

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:01:17 AM »
Hoping Tom and I and Alex can get together and put them into production.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:04:23 AM by Bill O'Connell »
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »
Other tubes that sound great in the phono are: RCA 5751's, these do vocals so stunningly that I'm not sure if any other tube rolling is necessary,albeit they do have a touch of warmth which I prefer.
 The Sylvania Gold brand 5751's are also wonderful but very pricey nowadays if you can even find them.

Good timing:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=64936

This seller also placed some other 12ax7s ads today too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:19:39 AM by richidoo »

Offline tybee

• Seeking Help
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 06:59:52 PM »
Den,

I almost overlooked your post.  So, you are using a 5751 in the middle with 12ax7s on the outside, and how does that effect your gain and tone?  I almost ordered some 5751s today, but I was fearful that three 5751s would lower my gain too much. 

I have been finding that the Sovtek 12AX7LPS on the outsides have been a pleasant surprise. Using an excellent 5751 in the middle without a problem would be a sensible sonic solution?

bacobits

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »
Hi Tybee I just saw your post.

I'm doing a bunch of playing around right now.
I am running a triple mica GE 5751 in the middle with 2 NOS Tungsgram 12AX7 on the outsides or
sometimes GT 12AX7's on the outside.
Minimal gain loss. Very quiet. I also have 3 Sovtek 5751 as I mentioned from Larry "lcrim", I had not tried all 3 yet.

I just threw in my Ortofon X5MC (the original). This must be at least 9+ years old!
It sounds really incredible and yes, a little lacking in bass but the rest is all there smooth and balanced.
It tracks better too.
There was always something I didn't like about my Benz Glider besides being a bitch to set up the VTA.

I just sold it. I'm looking at a Dynavector 10X5 MC now new or used. This cartridge had consistently gotten great reviews and is not out of whack price wise.
I think the Ortofon Black M2 is over priced. I'm agreeing with John on the Circles board. I also have not had a MM in years.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:12:53 PM by bacobits »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 06:31:44 AM »
I was sold on MC by my friend Allen.. and then did my own testing and agreed.  MM is a no go for me.  MC just has more life.  I have the 10x5 and have no real desire to change it.  I hear you can get more from it by taking off the front part of the cover.  I will try that once I'm in a more controlled environment... so I can hear any real differences. 

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tybee

• Seeking Help
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 03:45:05 PM »
I do have a 2M Black which I purchased overseas when it was first released.  The price paid was slightly higher than the 10x5, and you are correct that the current US price for the 2M is too much.   I also purchased an Audio Technical AT33PTG MC directly from Japan for quite a bit less than the 10x5 which many say equals or betters the 10x5 in many respects.  I looking forward to setting up the AT33PTG and moving the 2M to my second table.

Since I am spending most of my time acquiring and listening to vinyl, I do have my eye on some upscale Dynavectors.  Most of the Dynavectors match my Tecnoarm very nicely.

bacobits

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 02:54:25 PM »
I also heard about nude-ing the body on the Dyna 10X5.
Supposed to be easy to do by removing the side screws no glue to break etc.

I did order one. This cartridge has been around for quite awhile in various itinerations.

D