Author Topic: richidoo visits WV  (Read 52095 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
richidoo visits WV
« on: August 24, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
I just got home from visiting with Rob and the whole gang of Charleston area audiophiles. I had a blast, and I think some of them may have enjoyed it too.

Rob's system has come a long way since the last time when I was there in Feb 2010. Atmasphere and DEQX, accuton/RAAL, BAD Panels, Art Audio  Phono stage, and lots of pretty purple wires are all new. The system sounds completely lovely. I think it was the best recorded violin sound I have ever heard.

We had fun setting up and learning how to use his new rcm, trying various cleaning fluids, and playing lots of vinyl.   We tried Sol's i60 in place of Rob's dedicated monoblock plate amps for his bass drivers. A little cleaner and punchier. Some speaker position fine tuning with Carl's laser.

I got to tour the systems of most of the other guys in the clique. They are a really right group who meet often for listening and just hanging out. All of the systems were very different, and unique and wonderful in their own way. It really reminded me how much this hobby is an artform, not a technical pursuit. Each system was a reflection of its owner.

Bob's system is McIntosh's best electronics with very large ML stat panels and Michelle TT. Powerful, dense, exciting. Perfect for the smooth jazz and classic rock he loves. A second system with panel TV, deftech speakers, NuForce Oppo BlueRay player, JL sub, sounded and looked beautiful playing Michael Blublay.

Bill's system is Maggie Tympani's with AR SP6 and 2 AR 75W power amps, vertically biamped, with AR passive line level crossover. SOTA Saphire. Oh, and 4000 LPs, mostly jazz, the focus of Bill's system is very obviously music listening. The system is tuned for maximum pleasure during long listening sessions. Midrange is excruciating beautiful, but also punchy tuneful bass, gentle highs, just enough to listen close to cymbals and voices, but not enough to ever make you think about treble. The room is gigantic, perfect for the big panels. I drooled over the records I saw, a lot of stuff I didn't even know existed, most of it on original pressing, near perfect condition. Bill is a serious collector of multiple art forms. I really need to hear the new 3.7s and 20.1s.

Dave's system is 140W Pioneer receiver, Michelle TT, DefTech 7004s and surrounds, and a big 52" Pioneer Elite Plasma. Very dynamic and clear and is extremely coherent top to bottom. Dave's system is built for enjoying rock LPs and concert videos. We watched Zep's "Song remains the same" and a Jethro Tull concert at Montreaux with Shrimp and rice.  :thumb: I really enjoyed that system.

Looking forward to my next visit to WV in the spring - Thanks guys!
Rich

mgalusha

Re: richidoo visits WV
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip and some great folks and systems.  :thumb:

evan1

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 06:13:43 PM »
Doesn't anyone but us New Yorkers carry cameras ?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:24:52 PM »
Cameras haven't made it to WV yet. ;)

I brought mine, but it still had telephoto lens on it from the baseball game before I left. No good for inside pics.

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:39:24 PM »
Oh yes Mr. Richie we have cameras here, just a little shy about taking them and posting them.  Here's one of the audionervosa's heavy hitters doing some measurements on my right speakers distance to the listening chair.  With some slight adjustments ( bringing the left speaker forward 3 inches and a very slight turn in on both) Richidoo reports a more focused soundstage.  Thanks for the help.

Rob S.

(edited to add your photo)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:01:03 AM by Carlman »
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »
uh, make that shy and picture posting illiterate....

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »
I have to say one of the highlights was listening to a vinyl recording from 1985.  Man, this guy can play the trumpet!!! Great music.
(Photo removed per owner's request)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:51:23 AM by Carlman »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:58:54 PM »
Audio Circle pictures won't post here...you need to add them to your AN gallery Rob.... :thumb:

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 06:10:16 AM »
thanks Chris- it should be obvious to me by now, but I'm a little slow.

Rob

djdube525

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 06:38:16 PM »
Here's one of the audionervosa's heavy hitters doing some measurements on my right speakers distance to the listening chair.

Hey Rob... Are those by chance Selah Audio speakers? If they are... which ones are they?

Dave

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
Dave- their the Riferimentos  http://selahaudio.com/id185.html  except I had Rick update the speakers by installing the Raal tweeters.

I'm running them active and it's the best they've sounded.

Rob s.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 08:24:52 PM »
Awesome speakers.  Rob how did the new scan go today? Is mid>bass phase fixed? I won't be able to sleep until I know all is well  :D

djdube525

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »
Dave- their the Riferimentos  http://selahaudio.com/id185.html  except I had Rick update the speakers by installing the Raal tweeters.

I'm running them active and it's the best they've sounded.

Rob s.

I thought that's what they were... the Raals through me off. Very nice!