Author Topic: I/C "Break In"  (Read 17215 times)

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: I/C "Break In"
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »
ameuba10,
 I have a strong tendency to deal with phenomena I observe while pursuing this hobby in a wholly
empirical manner. I don't get hung up on how something can be happening that appears to defy explanation. It is good enough for me that something happens in a predictable repeatable manner every time I undertake certain actions or use certain materials in a particular fashion.
 When an effect is repeatable and predictable it can be exploited by me to my direct benefit without requiring any understanding of the physics underlying the phenomena at all.
 Concerning the change in the sound we might hear due to the break-in of an IC or speaker cable, we are probably hearing the result of a change in how easily surface plasmons are allowed to propagate at the metal/dielectric interface.
Scotty

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
They're using math, and right in the first paragraph too! That's just not fair to those of us who remember what it was like to get that passing grade in calculus and swear off advanced math for the rest of our lives.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 12:28:39 PM »
The burn-in doubters will be perplexed into submission.   :thumb:

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »
Hey you guys. Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I've got a question regarding IC and equipment "Break In". I was looking through the forum and found this thread.

Has anyone ever tried this for break in of cables etc?

I'm going to be running pink noise 24/7 along with white noise every 12 hours or so all at the same time.

If so what were your results from doing this? Even if you haven't I'd like to hear your thoughts on the white/pink noise combination as well for break-in?

I found on youtube someone who posted 12 hours of white noise. I also found a download of pink noise. I run the pink noise via my Windows Media Player and have youtube up at the same time on my netbook playing the white noise.

Currently I'm breaking in a Jolida DAC, tubes, Morrow 1.1 ICs and the input sections of my preamp.

Since a lot of cable manufacturers state their ICs require 200+ hours before they sound good. I'll burn in the cables for the 200+ hours then listen to the cables in my system. If I don't like the sound of them in my system then I will return the cables or sell them. I figure they are already broken in and how much more will they change. This may be stupid to some but it is what I do.

Thanks in advance.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »
Blending white and pink at the same time just makes an average of the two, it is not twice as contorted. A waveform can only be one voltage at one moment. Theoretically white/pink are all frequencies played at the same time. I personally don't think it matters what the signal is, what matters more is the amplitude.

During break in, you are trying to form a static charge into the plastic insulation and dielectrics of wires and caps. It is done faster when the current is higher. Commercial burning machines apply very high current, more than normal line source or preamp could apply.

I use the Hagtech Frybaby signal on a mp3 file, set to repeat on my Sonos. It is a couple minutes long iirc. If you PM me I will email it to you. Turn off the amp and turn up the line level volume all the way. The input caps on the amp will also be broken in, even if the amp is off.

I also like bright clear solo violin recordings because it has the most complex high freq overtones, much more complex than white noise, imo.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
Natural music, over time, changing the type and style of music every 6 hours or so (from classical to jazz to rock to metal) until you reach that 100 hour point for the first real listen. Then another 100 hours or so to get to a reasonable end point.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »
Hi you guys.

To BobM. Others have told me the same as you and normally I have done similar steps for cable and component break-in. I'm just on a compressed schedule with the Morrow Audio ICs I bought so I'm trying to accelerate break the cable break in with Pink and White Noise. I can't find my Isotek CD that I've used for break-in before.

To richidoo

Thanks for the clarification and guidance. It is much appreciated. I'll be sending you a PM ASAP as well as a request for some clear solo violin recordings you mentioned. I want to make sure I break-in these cables well and will also be prepared for the future when I get different gear.

Here is the link for the 12 hours of White Noise.

12 Hours of White Noise (Static) in Stereo. Favorite it for the future. Studying Sleep Tinnitus
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:37:31 PM by sleepyguy24 »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2012, 08:13:07 AM »
Continuous break is not recommended any longer. The dielectric needs to settle more than the conductor breaking in. Five hours on then five hours off. About 100 Ann. Edition Cable Cooker to break in our cables. No need to add hours to your transport or tubes. no need to leave system on for days at a time.
Save Energy, time, your gear. I have spent many a transport breaking in gear, never again.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.