Author Topic: Fed up with TWC - what to do, what to do...  (Read 33241 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Fed up with TWC - what to do, what to do...
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 08:11:06 AM »
I'm simply in a waiting game for a stable infrastructure to catch up with the market and technology.  This is a time of change and infrastructure takes a long time to build whereas the market and technology move at the speed of light comparatively.    

I live in Durham, NC which is likely not super high-priority for providers of communication services.  I see the comm market as a bunch of bumbling idiots trying to grab cash flying in the air.  As soon as they grab all they can hold, they leave.  

I live in a unique hole.  There is immense coverage of all types of 4G and 3G and high speed services all around me but not in my neighborhood.  I live very close to a major mall (Southpoint) and interstate (40) and there are 4 towers within a couple miles of me.. but they're all pointed around me, not at me.

One day we'll get a Wal-mart or other 'relevant' business just a bit south of us that will require the towers to point their beams just a couple degrees over so we too can bask in the 4G goodness.  But it takes a soul-sucking catastrophe of a business to get the attention of other soul-sucking catastrophes like a communication company. ug.  I plan on going back to cans and string eventually. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
Carl, you described my sentiments exactly!   

I would totally love the whole technology thing if it didn't constantly piss me off so much  :rofl:

Got my Frontier modem today along with a phone message that said they couldn't start my service yet... wtf?

Hey folks - internet broadband service - guaranteed 20mb download & 10mb upload.   Send $120/month to me and I'll get your package out to you asap.   Package contents:  2 cans, 1 string.   Totally awesome solution!  Promise.  Really.  I meant it.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 08:57:22 PM »
Cool stuff Scott!  I agree that wireless will take over in the next couple years.

While this may be true in some of the more rural areas, in densely populated metropolitan regions I think spectrum will be a limiting factor in the deployment of fixed wireless broadband to the home for many years to come.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:59:58 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 07:21:10 AM »
Just an update...

The Frontier DSL service has proven to be what it claims and seems quite solid.  As reported by the DSL modem, I'm getting 7345 Kbps down,  831 Kbps up.  Speedtest.net reports just slightly under these numbers.

That'll do for now.  I hear that Clearwire.com now has a modem that will consistently get 12mb/s down, 1mb/s up.  Haven't tried it and I suspect that is a bit of vendor hype, but who knows.

Next step - dump TWC completely.  I'm even considering just going with OTA and maybe a Roku or Revue box.  The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get ESPN channels.  But hey, ESPN2HD last night had major problems so attempting to watch the UNC/Rutgers bball game was done in SD.  One more nail in TWCs coffin as far as I'm concerned.  Anyone know how to get ESPN via the Internet?  Gotta be able to watch Carolina basketball!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 07:37:01 AM »
ESPN3 is the internet streaming version of ESPN.
Here's your game:
http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=100470&league=NCAAM
Main page:
http://espn.go.com/espn3/

Looks like they stream many of the events from their main channels.

No Frontier down in my neck of the woods, yet.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »
I may have to take another look into Frontier.  That's who you end up with when Verizon is no longer interested in your neighborhood.  My guess is it's all Verizon's equipment behind the scenes with leased service contracts to operate it.  The only issue will be for service.. When Verizon owns the network and Frontier contracts company xyz to fix it, there will be some head banging.. just something to be aware of... and hopefully you'll never have to deal with it.

I recently came across this device: OOMA!  I think it's greek.. just kidding.. Another VOIP but for less cost (free if you work it right) and can integrate your home and cell phones.  kinda neat... I have only begun looking into it, I don't know if it's any good.  If it's like my experience with Vonage, it will be a no-go.

-C

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 07:46:14 PM »
I may have to take another look into Frontier.  That's who you end up with when Verizon is no longer interested in your neighborhood.  My guess is it's all Verizon's equipment behind the scenes with leased service contracts to operate it.  The only issue will be for service.. When Verizon owns the network and Frontier contracts company xyz to fix it, there will be some head banging.. just something to be aware of... and hopefully you'll never have to deal with it.

I recently came across this device: OOMA!  I think it's greek.. just kidding.. Another VOIP but for less cost (free if you work it right) and can integrate your home and cell phones.  kinda neat... I have only begun looking into it, I don't know if it's any good.  If it's like my experience with Vonage, it will be a no-go.

-C

Carl,
FYI, in August of this year Verizon flat out sold all of its operations in NC to Frontier. So this is not a leasing situation, Frontier now owns and operates all of the former Verizon network in NC. When you deal with Frontier, you will be dealing directly with the owner, not a third party lessee.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:41:47 PM by Carlman »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
Ah, that's actually good to hear, thanks!  I wasn't sure if it was one of those Covad deals..

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 07:35:20 AM »
Hey Mike, how's that DSL service working?  Still strong?  I'm getting frustrated with the drops from TWC... and the high cost (and loss of service) with the TWC phone line.  So, looking for options to switch.. If it's reliable I could do a VOIP, saving a lot on the phone service.
-C

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »
Carl,  I've been extremely pleased with Frontier DSL.  It is consistently above 7MBs down and about 800kbs up.  No problems at all.  The modem is in fact a wireless router as well although only B/G.  

But... check out the latest from Clear.  I'm not sure what they're doing, but I talked to someone at a Clear Kiosk over the holidays and he stated that their latest modem just released can consistently do 12MBs down and 1MB up.  Monthly cost is about the same as TWC.   I don't know how much of that is hype but I believe they offer a 30 day trial.  Unfortunately, I had that conversation about 2 weeks after I started my 12 month contract with Frontier.  

Of course, bundling Frontier DSL with my phone got me a $20/month price on the DSL for the 1st year and that is definitely a nice deal (already had Frontier phone).

If you (or anyone) follows up on Clear, I'd love to know what the realworld download speeds are.  FWIW - clear also offers VOIP service I think.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:23:50 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »
According to Clear's website, I would get service and Carl would not as he is just beyond their service map...  I've been tempted to try it as I'm just about due to have to make the phone call to Time Warner as they try to raise my roadrunner price....  I'd love to ditch them entirely....

I'm also almost due to dump Dish as well as my commitment to them is up mid March...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 01:24:24 PM »
Careful, Carl.  Just because Mike has great service with Frontier DSL, it doesn't mean you will too, unless he lives very near you, ie. same end of your neighborhood.  DSL is distance sensitive and even a quarter mile makes a huge difference in performance.  

TWC is poised to switch to DOCSIS 3.0, which Comcast currently offers.  The base service promotes 12Mb down/2Mb up with additional higher priced ofererings as high as 50Mb/10Mb.  I have no idea what BW TWC will offer, but it will still be affected by issues in their network, if and when they occur.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
We had the same situation with Frontier taking over Verizon's operations here.  I heard last night that they are increasing the cable rate by ~$30/month, essentially because they don't get as good of a deal on programming as the big guys.  They're offering to give free Directv for the rest of the year to those that don't want to take the increase or something like that.  We also have Comcast, who I just can't stand.  I gladly moved away from them when FIOS came to town and have generally been very happy with service, so this stinks.  ... and I thought competition would improve things  :roll:
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 03:19:18 PM »
If the internet service worked dependably and the phone wasn't 60 a month with arrogant customer service, I'd consider staying with TWC.  However, for 60 a month I can get phone and internet from Frontier.  I already decided that's kind of a no-brainer.  I have 30 days to see if it'll work out.. I'm not cancelling TWC until I see that Frontier's DSL is reliable and is a good speed.

Seems TWC just blips out when I need it most.  It could blip out all night long and I'd never know... but it does it at 10:AM when I'm in a call or trying to do something... just annoying.  Switching to a new service was easier than dealing with TWC customer service.

As to TV, I'm not dealing with that.  After our Dish contract is up, I'm going to an antenna.

-C
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:21:05 PM by Carlman »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
After our Dish contract is up, I'm going to an antenna.

Thinking of doing the same thing, DirecTV is hiking prices yet again, now $70 for the lowest tier with SpeedTV. That's $25 higher than when I signed up in 2002. If I can find F1 on the web I'm gone. Any ideas?

We've been very happy with BellSouth DSL and service over the years. They are ATT now, the worst brand name in America, so I'm not as optimistic about the future, but the competition should keep them honest. So far so good for the first year...