Author Topic: Modified Magnepan 1.7i demo at AXPONA 2024  (Read 1041 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Modified Magnepan 1.7i demo at AXPONA 2024
« on: April 08, 2024, 08:02:24 PM »
Danville Signal will be doing an AB demo of a pair of Magnepan 1.7i planar speakers with both passive and DSP crossovers. 

The speaker will be setup with a single amp driving the passive crossover and tri-amped with the DSP crossover with a switch box to choose between the crossovers with the same source.  All amps will be identical.  They will be driving the Magnepan 1.7i's full range with the system.

The system will be at AXPONA 2024 in room 356.  Please stop by to hear the Magnepan 1.7i crossover comparison.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Modified Magnepan 1.7i demo at AXPONA 2024
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 04:08:13 PM »
Good luck, Rich! Enjoy the show.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 11:47:50 AM »
Nick,
Thanks, but I am not at AXPONA 2024.

Danville Signal in room 356 has the Magnepan 1.7i's that I helped with the DSP crossover design for tri-amping them with the dspNexus 2x8 system. 

They built the AB switching box for the demo.  All the amps are the same as well as the front end uses all 8 channels of the dspNexus 2x8.  Two channels are just direct DAC connections to the amps driving the original passive crossovers and the other 6 DAC's are the 3-way DSP crossover to the amps.

Feedback so far is that the demo is showing the listeners how not subtle the difference the DSP crossover can make when it is really at the state of the art.  :)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 03:59:16 PM »
Response from Cynthia, The Audio Belle on YouTube to the AB comparison was it was a night and day difference, she could not believe the difference between the original passive crossover and the DSP crossover versions. 

Works for me! :)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 08:14:15 PM »
Response from Cynthia, The Audio Belle on YouTube to the AB comparison was it was a night and day difference, she could not believe the difference between the original passive crossover and the DSP crossover versions. 

Works for me! :)

👍
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 08:16:32 PM »
Nick,

Danville Signal in room 356 has the Magnepan 1.7i's that I helped with the DSP crossover design for tri-amping them with the dspNexus 2x8 system. 

They built the AB switching box for the demo.  All the amps are the same as well as the front end uses all 8 channels of the dspNexus 2x8.  Two channels are just direct DAC connections to the amps driving the original passive crossovers and the other 6 DAC's are the 3-way DSP crossover to the amps.

Feedback so far is that the demo is showing the listeners how not subtle the difference the DSP crossover can make when it is really at the state of the art.  :)

Rich,

I don't keep up with the shows that much. Will you be attending any other events for the rest of the year?

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 05:31:16 AM »
Nick,

Rich,

I don't keep up with the shows that much. Will you be attending any other events for the rest of the year?

Nick

Nick,
If I can get a larger room for CAF2024 in Nov that is possible.  I am working with the show owner now to see if one is available.

This will not be a comparison demo like the Magnepan 1.7i's at AXPONA.  I will bring the AGN II Line Array's with two 6x12in OB servo subs.  I want to demo the dspNexus 2x8 system with the AK4499EX DAC's in a larger speaker system. 

Rich

Rich

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 12:18:18 PM »
Nick,

Rich,

Nick

Nick,
If I can get a larger room for CAF2024 in Nov that is possible.  I am working with the show owner now to see if one is available.

This will not be a comparison demo like the Magnepan 1.7i's at AXPONA.  I will bring the AGN II Line Array's with two 6x12in OB servo subs.  I want to demo the dspNexus 2x8 system with the AK4499EX DAC's in a larger speaker system. 

Rich

Rich

Thx, Rich
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 04:02:22 PM »
The Audiophile Junkie stopped by for the Magnepan 1.7i AB demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFxG8KPIEE

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 11:07:55 PM »
The Audiophile Junkie stopped by for the Magnepan 1.7i AB demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFxG8KPIEE

Very interesting, Rich. Thx for posting.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 08:52:30 AM »
More insights from the Audiophile Junkie on the Danville Signal room at AXPONA 2024 AB demo. 

His discussion about the room starts at 9:30 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqCL7gcFCE

The Absolute Sound posted a wrap-up with the Danville Signal room as well:

The Danville Signal part starts at 10:10 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1s12SK__j0