Author Topic: A great man died today...  (Read 6400 times)

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
A great man died today...
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:16:09 PM »
Steven Hawking, whose broken body could not contain that enormous brain of his any longer.  Rest well.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: A great man died today...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:02:07 PM »
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking, scientist, afraid of the light (not anymore.)  :D

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 06:02:38 PM »
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking, scientist, afraid of the light (not anymore.)  :D
Yeah.  Franklin Graham wrote a piece on facebook that told more of the story.  I wonder what Stephen is thinking now?  There are a lot of very intelligent people that let their smarts get in the way of any semblance of faith.  Not trying to rile anyone up by getting spear-chull, but acknowledging a big brain.  We never know what happens in those last few minutes of life...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:18:46 PM »
... But if you think about it, someone who believes in an afterlife can never be disappointed. If you die and there is one your beliefs will be confirmed and you will experience it and if there isn't one, you will never know.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 09:00:25 PM »
... But if you think about it, someone who believes in an afterlife can never be disappointed. If you die and there is one your beliefs will be confirmed and you will experience it and if there isn't one, you will never know.
Yes, that is called P\aAscal's wager.  I learned about it from a 9th grade teacher, Mr. Bailey, and I never forgot it:

"God is, or God is not. Reason cannot decide between the two alternatives.
A Game is being played... where heads or tails will turn up.
You must wager (it is not optional).
Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing.
Wager, then, without hesitation that He is. (...) There is here an infinity of an infinitely happy life to gain, a chance of gain against a finite number of chances of loss, and what you stake is finite. And so our proposition is of infinite force, when there is the finite to stake in a game where there are equal risks of gain and of loss, and the infinite to gain.
But some cannot believe. They should then 'at least learn your inability to believe...' and 'Endeavour then to convince' themselves."

Pretty much puts it in a nutshell, eh?

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe