Author Topic: Lavry DA10  (Read 11600 times)

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
Lavry DA10
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:09:37 AM »
I have been reading some reviews about this DAC and the  positive results along with some of the unique design concepts and front panel controls caught my eye.Just wondering if anyone here has spent time listening to one to develop an opinion for what it can or cant do for the music.
Thanks

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Lavry DA10
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »
Do you have a link?  What's the buzz about it?  I mean, what are people saying that make it stand out?
I really enjoy listening to music.

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:56:32 PM »
Looks like an interesting product. Don't know anyone who's heard it, so I can't help. Sorry. (the one with the gold front looks interesting as well...listed under 'Audiophile')

Welcome to AN, btw :)

WEEZ

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 03:35:03 PM »
Thanks weez.

It took me a few days to get back with a little info but for what its worth here ya go.

I have not done a lot of research on this DAC. It just caught my eye because it is a small company and the DA10 has some unique features, some of which are under scrutiny on the diyhifi forum.See the links below for further info.

I like to be on the lookout for the overlooked gem in the rough. Dont know that this is one but it makes for interesting reading.

http://www.lavryengineering.com/index_html.html   (website)

http://studioforums.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/694106689/m/6611090261  ( DAC off--Larvy vs Benchmark)

www.diyhifi.org/forums ( some discussion on the CrystallLoc feature and if it works as designed )

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229114&highlight=larvy

bixby

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:51:28 PM »
I own a Lavry DA-10.  It is a very nice sounding DAC.  Smooth, detailed, balanced out,  great volume control.

Now use my Opera Droplet as transport.  For once I don't have any complaints about digital edge, not enough detail or any other shortcomings that one finds on a CD player or DAC.  My only tweaking is around getting the right XLR cable.  Right now I am using a good but not great Wireworld Polaris 5.  I have a Grover cable coming and have very high expectations for it.

Let me know if I can answer any questions about it.  The folks I bought it from allowed me a few week demo, btw.

cheers
Bixby

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 06:24:28 AM »
I own a Lavry DA-10.  It is a very nice sounding DAC.  Smooth, detailed, balanced out,  great volume control.

Now use my Opera Droplet as transport.  For once I don't have any complaints about digital edge, not enough detail or any other shortcomings that one finds on a CD player or DAC.  My only tweaking is around getting the right XLR cable.  Right now I am using a good but not great Wireworld Polaris 5.  I have a Grover cable coming and have very high expectations for it.

Let me know if I can answer any questions about it.  The folks I bought it from allowed me a few week demo, btw.

cheers
Bixby

Was thinking about trying a Droplet. Now using Lector. What does the Larvey do that the Droplet didn't?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

bixby

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 07:21:01 AM »
Hi Rollo:

the Droplet is a great unit.  The Lavry, though is a even better as dacs go in my opinion.  The Lavry brought a better front to back perspective to the presentation with better depth and height.  Instruments and voice were more clearly identified in space.  Like the oft quoted veils being removed.  Bass pitch was more evident as well.  I haven't listened to the Droplet alone in a while, but will in the next few days and report the differences if skewed from above.

cheers
Bixby