Systemic Development > Optometry Equipment

searching for a Super Bowl deal on a new TV

(1/5) > >>

BobM:
So we rearranged the living room this past weekend, spreading some furniture out and opening it up. After sitting in one of the chairs I casually mentioned that the TV might be hard to see from here. My wife, Laura then said, "well, maybe we should start searching for a larger TV."

You could have knocked me over with a stick.

So I'm searching for a 60" plasma to hang on the wall, and hoping to get a good Super Bowl deal. Here's what I've uncovered so far ...

- I really don't need a 3D TV since you can't rent movies, buying them is expensive, the 2D-3D conversion isn't very good yet. However, the 3D TV's seem to have better overall picture quality than the 2D models, per the reviews. So it's more of a buy the better picture and it will probably have a 3D feature included already.
- I really want a plasma, not a sketchy back lit LED or LCD with that cartoony and surrelistic picture quality.
- Panasonics seem to still have the best picture quality per the reviews, but Samsung seems to be very close and is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper in comperable models.

So, what can you guys recommend? What should I be considering? What else do I need to know?

Thanks,
Bob

Putz:
Seems like you've already made up your mind. I agree that Plasma is definitely the way to go for best PQ. I have 2 of them. A Panny and an LG. Don't have 3D so I can't comment on that.

With prices so low, I would look to get the best possible TV with the bells and whistles that excite you. Most of the new TVs support streaming movies and other content from the web. Wireless should be the way to go with that or new Blu Ray player could also work. My tvs & Blu Ray are older so don't have that functionality.

Not sure if you've owned a plasma before. Biggest issue with them is reflection. Depending on open windows and room lighting, that can be a big issue if you're a stickler for picture quality. Plasma screen is glass and some of them reflect more light than others do.

Regarding wall mount, i would get an arm that has full funtionality so you can tilt up/down and side to side. Those can be pricey so look on Monoprice for their full function arm. About $100 with shipping when I bought mine a few years ago. It's a keeper. I assume you have studs readily available to mount it to. My wall was weird so I had to mount a piece of plywood and then attach the arm to that for full support.

rollo:
Bob just bought a 60" Samsung LED. No 3D at PC Richards. No turning back for me. Love it.

charles

richidoo:
My wife said nearly same thing to me before Christmas. She saw Sharp Aquos 60" LCD playing college football at the pizza shop and decided she had to have that. I like Toshiba TVs, but everything Korean is hot now.

The only bad thing is she wants to put it between my hifi speakers. The other bad thing is not for this SuperBowl.

lonewolfny42:
Got an Ebay deals link in my email today...showed this 60" plasma tv....

Link...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version