Systemic Development > Optometry Equipment

Help me choose a streamer

(1/4) > >>

evan1:
I'm only concerned with streaming Netflix right now and maybe Pandora . Right now I'm just using my granddaughters Wii to stream Netflix but when she is here on weekends I put it back in her bedroom .I don't want another Blu Ray player . I love the streaming idea so I want to choose between the Apple TV and Roku XDS. Same price but which do you think I will be better off with ?

etcarroll:
Are you already an Apple fan? Do you have a iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad you can download the more robust controller app to versus the remote that comes with it? Does your TV have an hdmi port? If yes to all 3, get the Apple TV box.

Otherwise, Roku.

spudco:
+1 on the AppleTV.  Just installed one 2 weeks ago and it is fine for netflix, photos/slide shows, internet radio.

It also recognizes "other" remote control codes.  I taught it to respond to a Yamaha receiver code set to use my Pronto.  Took a few seconds and works great.

djdube525:
The only downside that I could see with an AppleTV over a Roku was that Roku offers at least one model with 1080p... I believe AppleTV is just 720p.

If that matters to you anyway...

Dave

tmazz:

--- Quote from: djdube525 on April 14, 2011, 08:54:39 AM ---The only downside that I could see with an AppleTV over a Roku was that Roku offers at least one model with 1080p... I believe AppleTV is just 720p.

If that matters to you anyway...

Dave

--- End quote ---

I think the 720 vs 1080 decision should be driven by basically two things.

1) how big of a screen will you be playing this on? of the screen is 40: or less then 720 could be on the table. At 42" I would start to worry a bit and over 42" I wouldtry to stick with 1080p. Just one man's opinion YMMV.

and

2) What are your other sources? If you have a large screen and a bluray player that you us regularly, the lower resolution of a 720p stream will become quickly noticeable. And while 720p in and of itself is not really that bad, if your frame of reference is the high res output of a bluray watching a 720p stream could possibly become irritating.

Of course one other thing to be concerned with is whether or not your internet connection has the bandwidth to cleanly stream at 1080p. Because no matter how good the picture is, if the stream is constantly pausing because the buffer emptied out, you will tire of it in a hurry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version