Author Topic: Do we have any speaker builders here?  (Read 56404 times)

WEEZ

Do we have any speaker builders here?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2007, 06:55:01 AM »
This is interesting...

If you look up the Scanspeak Revelator 7" at Madisound; they claim the F3 should be 50 sealed, and 35 ported. They don't mention the box size for those numbers, though. :?:

I'll bet the SSR's easlily do 35..they are in a pretty big box. (almost 30L gross inside volume :!: )

Looks like any of the (3) drivers mentioned here are fine drivers.  :D

WEEZ!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2007, 07:38:42 AM »
Just took a look at Rick's site.  His specs say 45 F3 and 34 F10.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2007, 08:01:05 AM »
Bryan, I noticed that too. But I'll bet they go lower...at least 'in room'..if not in an absolute sense...

Still anxious to hear your comments!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2007, 08:08:49 AM »
Maybe a little - will find out soon.  My guess is that it's more a matter of maybe mid 30's would be f6 but the absolute F10 might not change much - more a matter of how quick the rolloff is.

I'll say that the port on these is a beast for a driver that size.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Brian Bunge

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2007, 04:04:27 PM »
Carl's been holding out on me.  I just found out about this site yesterday when he emailed me and mentioned it.

I've built a number of kits over the years from ACI (back when they sold kits), GR Research, most of the Exodus Audio kits , and even some of my own stuff.  I hooked up with Carl a few years ago when he needed help with a subwoofer cabinet kit gone wrong.  From there I built him a 5.1 system using my Micros and an 8" powered sub.  And not too long ago I built him a pair of the KIT 41's which he seems to really like, although they don't do much for me.

Oh, and then I build big monsters like these for myself! :)

WEEZ

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2007, 04:22:19 PM »
Welcome, Brian.

Have you ever built-or heard the Kit 61? Comments?

thx,

WEEZ

Mike L

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2007, 04:40:16 PM »
Thought I would join in even though I am very new to this.  I just finished the Exodus 2641 kit a couple of weeks ago.  I have to say that they do sound very clean and nice.  I feel that the midrange is definately the strong point.  I am a little surprised that the mid still had a lot of the natural and open sound that I heard when I was just running them straight from the amp.  They have an extremely quiet background, are very detailed, and image incredibly well.  

Howver, as good as they sound I just don't feel immersed in the music and therefore am not feeling any emotional involvement when listening.  I think if they added another mid up top it would help in this regard.  I have to feel that I am within the music in order to feel involved, which to me is what all this is about.  Therefore, even though they sound more natural, are more detailed, and open I still prefer my Polk Lsi15's when listening to music.  With the Polk's the music seems more 3 dimensional and submerges me, thus making me feel more emotionally involved.

For home theatre however, I think these speakers are exceptional.  Those extremis's (or is it extremi) can really pound for sure.  The center channel would be totally impossible to beat for anywhere near 500 CDN.  I can't imagine anybody would be asking what did they say with how clear I would imaginr that center would sound.

Just me thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike

PS. I would have uploaded pictures but I can't find the manage attatchments.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2007, 05:08:39 PM »
I've not built or heard the 61's yet.  I've only built the 2641's and LCR's cabinets and built and heard the 41's.  The 41's really don't do anything for me.  I've heard some smaller speakers using the Dayton RS125's which I liked much better.  They're listed as 5" drivers, but honestly are more like a 4" driver.  I think they might even have the same frame diameter.

I've heard really good things about the other Exodus kits.  I do prefer an MTMWW design such as my big towers though.  I think the added efficiency as well as the greater SPL capabilities give you more "you're there" feeling.  I know when my wife pops in her Phantom of the Opera Soundtrack and cranks it we actually feel as if we're in the concert hall.  I'm sure part of this is the overall design, which is has a very flat frequency response.  I don't have any clue how the 2641's are voiced.  It would be interesting to see if Kevin would design a MTMWW version of the 2641's and how they compare to one another.

WEEZ

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2007, 05:20:39 PM »
Mike L,

Maybe your 2641's just need to be 'worked-in' a bit? From what you describe, it sounds like a possibility....

Brian,

I was thinking about helping my son build the Kit 61's. He's a graduate student (and a broke one, at that). They look like a speaker that he could use in smaller spaces and get the deeper bass he likes without having to use a sub. Hell be in a smaller apartment for the next two years.

Hell, maybe the 61's will go TOO deep for a small room. Dunno....

WEEZ

Brian Bunge

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2007, 05:42:02 PM »
Everything I've heard about the Extremis 6.8 says it's pretty awesome at bass reproduction.  I wish I had the opportunity to hear them but unless someone wants me to build a pair for them I doubt that'll happen.  Based on the sims I've done of the driver in a monitor sized cabinet, I imagine it'll work quite well without a sub in smaller rooms.

RAW

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2007, 07:40:16 PM »
Just a hint for you all if you have not seen on Kevins forum (DIY AUDIO)
The Exodus kits will not be based around the extremis or WR drivers any longer.
And from what I know if you have the tweeters you are lucky.As PE is the only supplier and as been out of stock for a long time.

Bob from CSS was the supplier for all the kits for along time but as the directions are changing for Bob it did not warrent ordering in several hundred  tweeters just to supply Exodus kits.

So Bob ordered in the new SD12 driver plus a new XBL^2 15" .Better choice.

Back to the kits if you have the tweeters or can get them all the best.

The Kit 41's well have to agree they were ok for the money but really that combo (same drivers) I did a design for RMAF a few years ago and used a second order crossover on both the woofer and the tweeter.Which sounded a lot different than the kit 41.
 :wink:

RAW

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2007, 07:42:10 PM »
Sorry Brian
Nice looking design  :lol:

WEEZ

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2007, 07:49:47 PM »
Hi Al,

Are the new drivers GR?

WEEZ

Mike L

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2007, 07:53:51 PM »
Al do you know if Usher is planning on stopping production of them that PE would stop carrying it, as it is a very good tweeter for the money?

Thanks,
Mike

RAW

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2007, 09:17:58 PM »
I have no idea if they are doing anything with over all production.
But I do know like I said Kevin is moving away from all therivers used in those designs.Even the tweeter.

The sad thing Bob from CSS ordered a few dozen and when PE did get the shipment of Ushers tweeters he only recieved 6? Boy o boy sure can sell kits that way?