Author Topic: New Grover ICs??  (Read 52709 times)

shep

Re: New Grover ICs??
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2007, 02:37:25 AM »
Thanks for the address. Yes the cables are still changing, they took quite a leap around the 100hr mark. I am expecting further changes. Indeed great value for money. I have learned, to my cost, to wait and wait some more. (I was thinking of the cd disk for reballancing the rest of the system, not so much the cables.) anyway
I am awaiting my new amp, son one of this is definative! cheers

shep

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2007, 08:54:19 AM »
Am I all alone :( Anyway after the 100hr mark, things seem to be getting better and better..more air, more ease, better integration of bass. Often abused words; sound-stage is not there yet for me in depth. Colours (you figure that one out!) are outstanding, as is pace, timing. More attack than decay (which contributes to a rather truncated treatment of depth). Grain is fast disappearing. Treble is not as silky and extended as I would like, yet. Still more tecnical than musical. Iexpect further changes around the 200hr mark, when my opamps have broken in totally. phew!

shep

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2007, 05:58:19 AM »
Am I all alone???? come on guys a little feedback! Anyway, past the 150hr mark and seems to have pretty much settled. My verdict? This is a very good cable for the money. It's clean, grainless, fast and musical.
I find it too forward for my taste, but that could have to do with other factors like the room. I miss information from the back, it's very in your face presentation, a bit two dimensional. If you have another experience, please don't hesitate to share it. This is only one man's system talking.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2007, 06:50:51 AM »
Well, Shep... I'm looking forward to having a controlled environment in which to do comparisons... but it won't be until the Spring... I'm getting the basement ready for walls now.  Until then I don't have a system worthy of making meaningful comparisons. :(  I have 3 systems running but they're all 'just ok' and mostly for background enjoyment.  Good news is I can keep the cables burned in during all of this. 

Grover was sending me the upgraded cables at one point but I haven't heard or seen anything yet.  But if I do I plan to lend them out so others can hear the latest.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2007, 01:54:21 PM »
I am very happy with my whiteys and graphites. I bet that the SC will be even more transparent and hopefully eliminate the ringiness of mine. Comments here seem to suggest less ring, and quieter. I hope to have the chance to hear them sometime. But I'm not upgrading what I have, it's too good a value.

AcidJazz

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2007, 06:58:31 PM »
Well I have had my Sc's for over a month now(maybe 400+hours?), all I can say is that  from the get-go, the new cables sounded better balanced than the graphites(previous version)...now I can report that they have smoother midrange and extended detailed highs, none of the drawbacks of the previous cable of which I still have 2 pairs. Of course I have not done a A/B immediate comparison, so its just my extended listening experience I am drawing from.
Overall the new Sc cables are superior....at least in my system. Was worth the money to upgrade, imo.

shep

« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2007, 02:36:33 AM »
maybe they need still more time? I never heard any ringing but then I didn't have the previous pair very long.
I still find a discontinuity between the bass and the midrange. The mid is more present and projected than the bottom end. BUT I am more than willing to admit this has something perhaps to do with placement and room acoustics.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2007, 02:57:12 AM »
Thanks AcidJazz. Maybe I'll try an upgrade sooner.

Shep, the ringing is extremely subtle, much less so than popular copper wires that use ringing to advantage. I only noticed it on direct comparison to a wire costing about 6 times more that is dead quiet. It doesn't bother me at all in real world listening, I never notice it. But I remember the feeling of no ringing in comparison, and I liked it.

Phil

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2007, 06:45:20 PM »
Shep,

I had the same problem of a too forward mid-range for quite some time.  I didn't keep close track of the time, but after about 170 hours I started to use the Isotek 12 hours per day for a few days.  I'm not sure if it was the result of the Isotek or whether the cable just needed more time, but the mid-range became part of the rest of the spectrum.   

Rich,
The ringing I heard with the previous cable was only on the highest frequency piano notes.  It did drive me a bit crazy eventually  :lol:.  I don't hear that with the SCs.  YMMV.

Phil

Offline richidoo

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2007, 07:14:45 PM »
Phil, thanks for corroborating my experience with your own. I was starting to think I was imagining it!  I still love my older versions, but am becoming more temped to upgrade, the longer this thread carries on!!

That isotek disk is also really getting a reputation. Now that's a cool idea for a stocking stuffer, or maybe a group buy?? haha
Rich

shep

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2007, 03:22:36 AM »
Thanks Phil, I don't want to winge or imagine things and put others off! It's good to have confirmation of what I hear. This ringing is a new factor. I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned before...where have I been? In the boondocks for sure. It's funny but 200 hours seems to be a turning point for numerous componants. I'm thinking especially of the op-amps I changed out in the cdp and various caps.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2007, 03:20:54 PM »
That isotek disk is also really getting a reputation. Now that's a cool idea for a stocking stuffer, or maybe a group buy?? haha
Rich
A well deserved reputation, from my experience. That's a nice idea re: stocking stuffer.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2007, 02:45:41 AM »
Hi Guys,

Does Grover have a website?

Regards

Rod

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2007, 05:21:39 AM »
Hi Guys,

Does Grover have a website?

Regards

Rod
No, he doesn't at this time.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Phil

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2007, 12:30:38 PM »
Rod,

For more information you might want to check out this thread:  http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=47670&page=35&highlight=Grover+Huffman

A very long one.  You might want to start at the end and work backwards.  Some pics too.

I know you love transparency and the SC interconnects give that is spades. 

Phil