Author Topic: Quad-Fest!! G2G Rich's May 17th  (Read 34686 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Quad-Fest!! G2G Rich's May 17th
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »
Bring your leather slippers and pipe, cocker spaniel, and Mozart trio CDs?

WRONG!

They won't blow your hair back but the newest Quads are not your father's ESL-57s. Come see what some famous and respected reviewers are calling the best loudspeaker in the world, and getting cursed out for it! Love it or hate it, there is nothing like a Quad, and this is their finest effort ever. Lots of amps to play with them, and some very special cone speakers to compare - Usher's finest and some Feastrex oddities too.

The Korato KTA-100 amplifier will make an encore presentation, sounding much better now after a minor adjustment back to factory specs. Thanks to BSP Audio for the extended loan.

Details: http://triangleaudiosociety.com/

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Quad-Fest!! G2G Rich's May 17th
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:40:40 PM »
I am THERE  :drool:!!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:10:13 PM »
 :drool: :yay2: :drool:

I guess I'm in the 'love it' camp.  ha.  I don't/didn't know much about Quad but I know what I heard was excellent.  I hope others can experience them...  They are a real treat and a deal.  I don't think I've heard speakers in the $10,k+ range that warranted their price like the Quads do.

I should be ready to host this summer... work and such have put me a bit behind schedule.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Bigfish8

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »
I am really anxious to hear the new Quads and am hopeful of being able to attend.  :drool:  Also, hoping to hear the Korato versus the Mono SEs connected to the Timepieces this coming weekend.  Thanks Bryan and Rich! :D/

Ken

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »
Wish I was in your neck 'o the woods for this.  I could wax poetic about how the "old" Quads had such an impact on me as a young pup, but I won't bore you all.  They are special for sure. 

I already have more speakers than I need, but those big Ushers could have really tripped my trigger.  I liked them a lot at the shows in my brief encounters, but unfortunately the price tag was a bit too painful for my pedestrian budget.

Have fun ya'll!

Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:40:09 PM »
Lemme know what you think Ken.  I have a pair of Glass Ceiling Mono Extreme SE's here at my place that did side by side duty with the Korato.  I won't comment further so as not to taint your impressions. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

ik632

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
So long as the boss doesn't have any plans for me I'll come along too. Maybe I'll even bring one of my "old" amps to play with too. What do you want to hear the 7700 with is solid state goodness or the 680 with it's STK module and warmer sound?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 05:28:15 AM »
Nick that would be cool. Bring whichever you like the best. Thanks

ik632

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 11:20:01 AM »
I don't know which one I like the best right now. The 680 has more sparkly highs but I think the 7700 has better punch in the bass section. The 7700 does need to be serviced though (the source selector needs cleaning as it's a little scratch when changing devices). I'll probably just bring the 680.

canyoneagle

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 06:58:13 AM »
Sounds like a great evening!  Too bad I'm not in the 'hood, or I'd be there with all of my reference tracks from Air Supply.    :)

Have fun!

Michael

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 08:37:05 AM »
We'll play some just for you Michael! Speedwagon, anyone?  :)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »
Rich, I just received a new PC from John at Black Sand - his new Violet ZII with ATL terminations.  I'm hoping to see how it compares to the Silver Ref.   

I should have it well broken in by May 17th... Worth me bringing it along to your G2G?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
YES! Awesome!! That will be fun. Thanks Mike

ik632

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
Ok, it's officially made it onto my calendar.  :D/

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 03:03:27 PM »
May 17th,  Hummm,  33rd wedding anniversary  8) or hang out with audio buds? :roll:
 If I want to see 34 years I better take a pass. :rofl:
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker