Author Topic: DTQWT-12  (Read 127619 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: DTQWT-12
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »
Thanks LW. Julie parks inside, and I like to park inside too, so that only leave one for the junk. I was careful to avoid taking any pictures of that side. haha 

I brought the speakers inside, and started mounting the drivers, but there's too much left to do to finish them tonight. I'm pooped! Still have to pack and go to bed for the drive to CAF tomorrow.   They look even bigger inside.  :shock:

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »
I hate all the small details at the end too.

Looking forward to your impressions tomorrow.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2011, 08:10:40 PM »
It's actually a 3 car garage.... I have garage envy of him.... if I actually had a three car, I might be a bit more organized.... yeah... keep telling myself that....  :)

Shane don't kid yourself, if you had more room you would just end up collecting more cr@p.  :rofl:

(Just like the rest of us.  :roll: )
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »
Back to work on the speakers tonight. I got the tweeters mounted to the waveguides, and I got a tweeter and midrange mounted into one speaker. Started the woofers and saw that the lid (side) had not bonded well to the rear baffle near the woofers so I had to reglue it. I need more clamps! Should be playing music tomorrow. All the talk of horns and SETs at the show really got my juices flowing to hear my new speakers.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »
DTQWT-12s are alive!   :yay2:

They need varnish, break in, stuffing tweaking, more room acoustic treatments, but they are making noise now, a significant milestone.

They do sound huge, the bass is very powerful, detailed and errr.  Lower mid is a bit stuffy I'm hoping that will go away with break in, the woofers are very tight doped cloth suspension and low Q so break-in will change them alot. If it doesn't go away then more panel bracing is required.

After hearing the total metamorphosis of the Polk 705 speakers in their first 20 hours at the CAF I can imagine anything can happen during speaker break in. It is the same feeling I'm getting from these that I felt with them.

Right off the bat, the midrange / tweeter drivers and their crossover design sounds excellent. Open and alive, musically communicative. My head is bobbing already.

Bigfish8

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Back to work on the speakers tonight. I got the tweeters mounted to the waveguides, and I got a tweeter and midrange mounted into one speaker. Started the woofers and saw that the lid (side) had not bonded well to the rear baffle near the woofers so I had to reglue it. I need more clamps! Should be playing music tomorrow. All the talk of horns and SETs at the show really got my juices flowing to hear my new speakers.

I will be very interested to read your comments about the sound!  I hope they will be great!

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2011, 10:46:40 AM »
Thanks Ken! I hope they will be great too. In a week we'll know...

Pics:

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
 It's alive! :twisted:
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Face

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2011, 04:21:20 PM »
Sounding better and better! Upper bass is not damped enough, it will need more stuffing in the bass horn. I stuffed it lightly because I don't want to lose the life, but it needs more, the horn is ringing too much. Thanks to Shane I have plenty on hand.  :thumb: Bass is a little too loud for my taste also, so more stuffing will help both ways. I'll put it in through the woofer holes.

I tried to post a few hours ago, to tell Bryan that he inspired this speaker when he said horn loaded bass sounds awesome. I was searching for his post from 2 years ago and I changed the search words before the first search returned, and it crashed the server. Sorry guys! Carl was kind enough to call host from the beach to fix it. Moral: Be gentle on the AN search engine!

Anyway, thanks Bryan, for recommending horn loaded bass, ala Voight pipe... sorry I don't have the link..

Offline richidoo

« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2011, 04:37:39 PM »
Impedance and Phase of DTQWT-12

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
looking good, Rich... can't wait to hear them!!!
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2011, 06:44:40 AM »
    Well done sir. Dem der woofers gonna need some time to loosen up. Time is on your side. Enjoy the fruits of labor there Rich.
    DIY is the real hobby.  :mrgreen: Now the art of fine tuning is upon you. enjoy every minute.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Face

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »
Some LF test tones will break those woofers in much quicker. 

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2011, 01:24:32 PM »
Just put on Bela Fleck - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo on repeat. That'll break them in.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley