Author Topic: Atomic Clock on a chip  (Read 6507 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Atomic Clock on a chip
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:01:16 AM »

How long til this is in a "high end"  DAC to replace the oscillator crystal?

http://www.elektor.com/news/atomic-clock-oscillator-module.1682812.lynkx

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Atomic Clock on a chip
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »

http://www.elektor.com/news/atomic-clock-oscillator-module.1682812.lynkx

How long before they come down off of the $1500 price point? That is a big nut to crack - even for a high end DAC.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:05:19 AM »
Why should they drop the price? Audio is not their target market. Putting a cruise missile in someone's ear is the goal, and this is a valuable invention for guidance and GPS receivers. So your tax dollars will be buying them whether you like it or not and the AirForce will be blowing them up after only 1 hour of use.   :rofl:

But why should we ignore it, just because it won't fit in a $1000 DAC?  I don't think so.

It's already cheaper than this direct competitor ($6500):
http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products_iso_10m.html

and would integrate nicely into this ($9999):
http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/product/scarlatti-master-clock
maybe even lower the cost if the marketers would allow it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:49:34 PM by richidoo »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »
I'm not saying they should drop their price. my point was just that  you won't see any significant amount of deployment of them in audio gear until they do. Sure we may see a few crazy DIYers that may try it just because the can and maybe it will find its way into an ultra-expensive DAC, but they don't sell in any large numbers anyway.

I am even doubtful that it can be integrated into a $10K product, You have to figure that the standard markup on high end gear runs in the area of 100 points (Which as crazy as it sounds is not that out of line given the volume of product moved by a high end dealer and the overheads he must cover in order to run a store. Just look at what internet discount pricing is doing to the traditional brick & motar high end business.). But that aside if you accept the 100 point markup that means that the wholesale price of a $10K unit would be in the area of $5k and for the manufacturer to stay afloat the cost of goods sold cannot be much more that $2500. Now if the manufacturing cost of the unit is only $2500, what is the chance of them putting a $1500 clock in there. I would say not too good. And unless somebody else finds a way to build a similar product to compete with them on gov't contract there is no way the price will come down for quite a while.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:35:33 PM »
Why does everything have to be cheap Tom? There is more to the audio hobby than lowest possible price. There is an artistic side that serves a demand for innovation and excellence. That is what has always driven the hobby. Eventually it trickles down to the po' boys too.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »
Very cool. The video goes into detail about how they build this.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:10:33 PM by mgalusha »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 12:55:25 AM »
Why does everything have to be cheap Tom? There is more to the audio hobby than lowest possible price. There is an artistic side that serves a demand for innovation and excellence. That is what has always driven the hobby. Eventually it trickles down to the po' boys too.

Rich, I think you misunderstood where I was going with this. You posed the question of when would this technology work its way into an audio product. I was just saying that at $1500 per chip I thought the price was too rich to put even in a $10K high end DAC. I'm not saying that it should be cheap,  or we would wait until it can go into a cheap unit. I was just suggesting that until the price to the manufacturers comes down they will not considered this a viable technology for inclusion in even an upper high end digital product. Granted most of the technology now used in or digital audio products can trace its roots to developments made for either the military or the space program and I realize that someday the technology will become more commonplace and scale and scope efficiencies of production will drive the price down, but until that happens I just don't think many manufacturers will consider this a viable technology for an audio product.

Case in point, most people think that mouse and GUI concept was invented by Apple for the MAC and it was stolen by Microsoft to develop Windows. However the mouse and the GUI was not invented by Apple, but rather by Xerox PARC in 1975 as an office automation system to be used by secretaries. The problem was that at the time the hardware needed to run the system cost in the area of $40K - 50K. So business were faced with the choice of buying a $45K computer to make an $8,00.year secretary 25% more efficient.The project was shelved because nobody could write a business case that would support such a large hardware purchase. And while it was a great idea, it sat dormant until the cost available computer technology dropped to the point that the purchase could be justified on a cost benefit basis. And it is the same situation here. The technology is great, but until the price drops to the point that manufacturers can afford to include and atomic clock chip and still put out a product that will be able to sell at the retail price required to cover the incremental cost of switching over to an atomic clock, nobody is going to use them for audio. (I realize that there may be somewhere along the line somebody who puts one in an uber-expensive cost is no object to sell to the "gotta have it" lifestyles of the rich and famous crow0, but I thought we were talking about a unit designed to sell off a production line to John Q. Audophile, not a custom super high end and super high priced limited production piece).  Because in the end no matter how good a piece of equipment is, the company must be able to sell it profitably or it will not be in business long. While material price may not be the primary drive in a high end audio design, it will be a showstopper if the manufacturing cost end up going to the point where the competitive market will not allow the company building the new product sell it on a profitable enough basis to cover all their expenses. Great sound is a wonderful goal, but if that great sound does not inspire people to buy enough product for the company to cover its costs, that company will not end up sticking around all that long.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 11:34:45 AM »
Thanks for the video Mike. I watched the first couple frames then had to leave the computer. I look forward to watching the whole thing. My fam just left to go roller skating so I have 2 hours to myself!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:33:26 PM »
Tom I did not misunderstand you, but you are changing your tune with every post. Keep your value judgements to yourself.

As mentioned in my 2nd post, which you ignored, the atomic clock is already a popular and well selling device in pro audio, as a discreet circuit made the old fashioned expensive way. This chip would reduce the price of a separate oscillator by eliminating its power supply and chassis, and allow its incorporation within the clock unit or even in a DAC, elimiating the cost of powersupplies, chassis, connectors, wires. Any manufacturer would go for that, if it improves the value of his product. Pro audio spec freaks will fall hard for a marketing buzzword like "atomic clock" printed on the box. But there is more than just the cost...

The sound could potentially get much better by eliminating jitter at the source, rather than filtering it out or reclocking. And thats the really exciting part, the point of the thread. If digital recording and mastering equipment adopts this quality of clock, the potential for sound quality at home is very exciting, even at the lower resolution of CD.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »
OK Rich if that is where you were going I am the one who misunderstood. Pro Audio is a totally different market. My assumption was that when you were talking about putting this into  a high end DAC you were referring to an end user consumer unit that would be used in a home high end system. IF we are talking about pro equipment I totally agree with you that there is is great benefit to using this new technology.  But the pro market has a very different dynamic that the home market. First off the people who are buying it are for the most part not paying for it out of their own pockets it is a company purchase. And secondly  they are not using the equipment as a means to turn a profit. So even if  if a unit based on one of these atomic clocks is significantly more expensive, the extra expenditure may be easily justified if the unit provides a better end product which in turn could lead to more sales and end up paying for itself in a short period of time. And thirdly the pro market offers possibilities of the types of cost savings you mention by being able to eliminate the need for a separate oscillator and it's associated expenses (chassis power supply etc. In the pro market this is a no brainer and I think has the potential to be very successful and indeed provide us as end users with greatly increase quality in our source material. I agree that this is a very exciting development and hope the technology gets widely deployed in the pro world.

However; you original post asked:

Since this is a forum that deals mostly with home audio equipment I (obviously now mistakenly) assumed that your reference to "a "high end" DAC" referred to a home unit that would be purchased by an audiophile. And in that light I stand by everything I said. A consumer audio piece would be purchased by the person who would be using it making, would not provide and potential financial return and since consumer equipment generally does not use outboard oscillator there would be no savings from reduced chassis, power supplies etc. So none of the advantages discussed above can be used to offset the additional costs of an atomic clock chip. All I did was respond to what I thought was a very specific question as to when we might see this technology used in some of our home audio equipment. And it is still my opinion, as someone who makes his living doing economic costing and pricing evaluations of high tech engineering projects, that from a purely economic basis the $1500 per piece price simply makes these clocks impractical for use in even the more expensive high end DACs on the market today (again, Pro equipment is a different story). Every piece of retail audio gear is designed to a price point of some kind. I never said that anybody's goal should be to design to the lowest price possible. A manufacturer must always make tradeoff between price and performance and decide where in that space he wants to play with each piece he sells.There is certainly room for gear in all areas of that spectrum. My only comment was that given the price of the clock and the price of most of the high end DACs on the market today I did not think that it would be practical to expect a manufacturer to set aside a high enough percentage of his overall parts budget to cover the cost of one of these atomic clocks. When the clock price drops (as I'm sure it eventually will, although I can predict when) I am sure we will start to see product offerings that incorporate this technology.
I never said anything about ignoring the technology or made any other kind of value judgement as to its potential use. Hey, I am an engineering geek. I love new technology like this and would love to see it in wider use. I just felt that right now the price was a show stopper, nothing more, nothing less.

I very much agree about the demand for excellence and innovation driving the hobby. But from a practical side innovation is always expensive (especially when developed for the military) and no matter how good a technology is it will never make its way into a retail product until it can be produced at a price that in line with the consumer willingness to pay.

I really thought I was giving a very focused, economically based answer to a narrowly worded question. I'm not really sure how this got interupted as a value judgement, but to the extent that it got anyone upset, I apologise.

Lastly, just on a philosphical basis, even if I was making a value judgement (which was not my intent), I an confused as to why this would be a problem. Doesn't damn near everything we discuss on Nervosa involve some like of value judgement (i.e. Is the money/effort/time I am putting into this  component, tewak etc. worth it in light of the performance increase I will get when I am done?) Why is the discussion of this chip/technology different than anything else we talk about? (Not a complaint, just a thought piece.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 07:32:10 PM »
Rich,

BTW, I like the new avatar.  :D

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
This is going nowhere.

Thanks for the compliment.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »
How long before they come down off of the $1500 price point? That is a big nut to crack - even for a high end DAC.

Three to 5 years...
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 07:33:58 AM »
This is going nowhere.

Thanks for the compliment.

:pop

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.