Author Topic: STREAMING and WHY ??  (Read 12572 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
STREAMING and WHY ??
« on: January 22, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »
  Tell me why I should be streaming instead of using my library from SS server drive or dedicated transport. I have perfect music management with iPeng. Ripped my CDs into server [ ALL 300]. Server plays DSD. Server has MQA and can use Roon Tidal and that Qboz thingie.
Convince me to stream. Is the sound quality better ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: STREAMING and WHY ??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 11:40:20 AM »
  Tell me why I should be streaming instead of using my library from SS server drive or dedicated transport. I have perfect music management with iPeng. Ripped my CDs into server [ ALL 300]. Server plays DSD. Server has MQA and can use Roon Tidal and that Qboz thingie.
Convince me to stream. Is the sound quality better ?

charles

Only you can answer that question by trying.

For me the biggest advantage with streaming is ability to expand your musical taste with million's of songs to pick from  :thumb:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 04:08:21 PM »
Charles, I think you are missing the point with streaming. The advantage is not that the SQ is better than other sources (althought in certain cases it may be). IMO the thing that streaming brings to the table is not better sound on albums that I already own, but rather access to a whole world of stuff that I don't currently have on any sort of physical media.

I think you answered your own question when you said you ripped all 300 of your CDs. With Qobuz I have access to 40 million+ CD quality tracks and over 2 million Hi-Res.

It's great to be talking to somebody about a particular album or read about a review using a specific track and then be able to hear it immediately instead of having to go out an hunt down a copy.

In my house, when it comes down to some serious sit down listening, records still rule the roost, but as I have said before that is very likely to a large degree because of the quality of my vinyl rig as compared to my digital equipment. But the musical versatility that a good streaming service brings to the table makes it a worthy addition to my system that I would no longer want to be without.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
Charles,

I can't decide if you're just playing devil's advocate or if you're serious. [No matter.]

You've got 300 CDs ripped to your HD; I've got approximately 350 CDs ripped to my HD. I really like about half of those CDs, so I really only listen to 150 to 180 CDs in any given year. This greatly limits my musical enjoyment. Tidal has been a musical blessing for me. I've got more albums and/or artists saved to my favorites than I own CDs. I get to sample almost as many artists as I want. There are selection limitations, but I don't often bump against those.

You've got an Innuos MKII or III in your system. It streams. Surely, you've tried streaming with it?

I'm looking forward to trying Qobuz sometime this year. In the meantime, I'll happily stream Tidal. I'm eager to hear how it sounds with my new DAC.

Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16:40 PM »
I use Tidal as I don’t want to own and store many hundreds of CDs. It’s been a freeing experience to get rid of “stuff”. It’s great to constantly discover current music or music from decades ago. It’s a constant “kid in a candy store” experience 😃
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 07:51:47 AM »
Streamings big sell is you have access to millions of songs. If you have a bunch of music that you own and don't want to find new music to listen to then no streaming is not going to help you. But, if you want to find more music to lsiten to, whether it is old or new Streaming really can be great. Someone mentioned a band, or you hear a song you like, just punch it  in in your streaming app and you can listen to it right away, reading an article about a great release of an album, bring it up in the streaming app and yopu can hear it immediately.

Charles, at the club meeting I regularly find albums, artists, and songs I did not know about and when I get home bring up the stuff we were listening to and can hear what it sounds like on my system. My main setup is in the living room, when we have company over I give them control of the sound system and they can bring up literately any type of music they want to hear, not just what I have purchased. I've tried, Tidal, Napster, MOG, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, Wolfgang's, Pandora, and Slacker. I currently pay for Tidal, Napster, Amazon and might do Wolfgang's again.
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 08:39:24 AM »
  Yes I guess access to music is a good reason. For me personally WBGO and WQXR allow me to hear new Jazz and Classical. Sound quality over access for me is the key factor.  Yes I stream WBGO sounds good but not as good as the Tuner.
  So for me quality over quantity and no fees.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
The nice thing about the streaming services especially if you like Jazz is, there are lots of lists of the best Jazz albums of the year or great new releases on the forums. You can instantly take a list and hear like 90% of the albums right away. Also the whole EMC catalog is available on Tidal, sounds as good as the CD if you were to buy it.
-Joe
Equi=core 1800 Balance

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »
Streamings big sell is you have access to millions of songs. If you have a bunch of music that you own and don't want to find new music to listen to then no streaming is not going to help you. But, if you want to find more music to lsiten to, whether it is old or new Streaming really can be great. Someone mentioned a band, or you hear a song you like, just punch it  in in your streaming app and you can listen to it right away, reading an article about a great release of an album, bring it up in the streaming app and yopu can hear it immediately.

Charles, at the club meeting I regularly find albums, artists, and songs I did not know about and when I get home bring up the stuff we were listening to and can hear what it sounds like on my system. My main setup is in the living room, when we have company over I give them control of the sound system and they can bring up literately any type of music they want to hear, not just what I have purchased. I've tried, Tidal, Napster, MOG, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, Wolfgang's, Pandora, and Slacker. I currently pay for Tidal, Napster, Amazon and might do Wolfgang's again.

Had never heard of Wolfgang’s.
https://www.wolfgangs.com/music/

https://www.keyboardmag.com/miscellaneous/wolfgangs-ampd-unlimited-streaming-of-the-worlds-largest-collection-of-live-recordings

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/music-publishers-win-major-copyright-fight-streaming-legendary-rock-concerts-1101359
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 06:00:45 PM »
Nick,

Does Tidal work with a Linux distro without a streamer?

And how do I browse what artists are available?

Paul

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:37:55 PM »
Nick,

Does Tidal work with a Linux distro without a streamer?

And how do I browse what artists are available?

Paul

Paul,
I’m a Mac guy nowadays and have never used Linux. But shadowlight probably has....what say ye, Deepak?
As to browsing artists, there is an explore feature which is shown as “Genres + Moods” which shows many of the various categories. Tidal also lists suggested albums and artists based on my compilation of those and also has additional categories like New, Top, Videos, Shows and Pocasts, TIDAL Rising and TIDAL X. Now I really haven’t used those, but I thought you’d be interested.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 08:56:16 PM »
Thanks, Nick.

But taking a look at other forums, it looks like there is no easy way. The last thing I want is to fiddle around with Linux commands:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/58i6dc/tidal_on_linux/

Paul

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 07:22:12 AM »

Had never heard of Wolfgang’s.
https://www.wolfgangs.com/music/

https://www.keyboardmag.com/miscellaneous/wolfgangs-ampd-unlimited-streaming-of-the-worlds-largest-collection-of-live-recordings

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/music-publishers-win-major-copyright-fight-streaming-legendary-rock-concerts-1101359

I have not subscribed in a year or two, they have soundboards of thousands of concerts mostly concerts from the very late 60's and 70's recorded by promoter Billy Graham.Lots of good stuff if you lke live recordings.
-Joe
Equi=core 1800 Balance

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »
I have not specifically looked at trying to run Tidal app on Linux but I have used PiCorePlayer (Squeezebox on Raspberry Pi) and UPNPMDcli (sp) both under Raspberry Pi and Linux system to stream Qobuz but both have access to Tidal.  If you are not comfortable with Linux command I would recommend using PiCore which will take you 15 minutes tops to get it up and running.  Write the image to the sd card, boot it up and configure LMS setup.

One question that I would have for you is do you plan to use USB Dac or is your DAC using spdif?  You can use Pi Hat for a DAC or get spdif setup.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 02:59:05 PM »
Streaming, as Tony The Tiger would say, is “GRRREAT”. I’ve already added a few albums to my collection that I otherwise would not have known about. I only have the 9.99 per month Tidal subscription, use it via a bluetooth connection, and it still sounds very decent. I’m thinking of starting a thread on ‘what you’ve discovered via streaming’; it’s certainly a viable topic.
Thanks to those that guided me on my first baby steps, much appreciated!
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0