Author Topic: Sophia Electric  (Read 11760 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Sophia Electric
« on: October 26, 2009, 07:39:18 AM »
  Well my treasured RCA 211s finally bit the dust and now join the GE 211s as display tubes. Bummer so I thought.
  Along came Sophia Electric who is famous for their 300B tubes. They now offer a 211s at $425/pr. The NOS RCA and GEs fetch over $750 and $600 respectively. Plus availability is very limited. No tubes no music, I have the supplied Chinese 211s but IMO they suck, bright and shouty, hate em. So no choice.
  Right out of the box I was in love. Smooth, quiet as heck, rich, Just wonderfull. Now with some hours on them, all I can say is if you use 211s, 300BS, 6SN7s, 12AX7s or 12AU7s give this company a try. Awesome sound reasonable pricing.
   These tubes have transformed my Cyber 211 amps. With the installation of V-caps [ only two required] and these tubes, I'm in heaven. Check them out.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Sophia Electric
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:35:38 AM »
Sophia 300Bs came with my Manley amps as upgrades to the russian stockers which really suck. The Sophias are very nice.  I bought Shuguang treasures even before the amps arrived, so I have both. The Sophia is rich and luscious, but not too much. The Treasures are much cleaner, but still magical.  I like the sophias a lot.

Offline Scott F.

• Seeking Help
  • ...DOH!....DOH!....DOH!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 08:02:13 PM »
Hiya Charles,

I use the Sophia 300B and the 2a3 and love them.

Tell you what, since you can't stand the Chinese 211s why don't you have them cryoed? That usually does a nice job of taming unruly sounding tubes. Good thing is it won't break the bank even if it just turns into an experiment.
My brain hurts.....

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:37:54 AM »
Hiya Charles,

I use the Sophia 300B and the 2a3 and love them.

Tell you what, since you can't stand the Chinese 211s why don't you have them cryoed? That usually does a nice job of taming unruly sounding tubes. Good thing is it won't break the bank even if it just turns into an experiment.

That my friend is a great suggestion. Never even considered that. Where could I get that done ?

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:16:53 AM »
Two AN sponsors, Cryo-parts and Black Sand Audio, do cryo treatment of tubes.

I never knew you could interchange 211 : 300B. That's cool. Probably not universally true for any amp, but worth investigating in each particular case.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:09:59 AM »
Two AN sponsors, Cryo-parts and Black Sand Audio, do cryo treatment of tubes.

I never knew you could interchange 211 : 300B. That's cool. Probably not universally true for any amp, but worth investigating in each particular case.

Hey thanks Rich. The 211 is NOT interchangable with 300Bs in my amp. I can use 805, 845, 835,and 211. Driver tube is a 5687 and the input a 6DJ8. Using Mullard black plates for input and Tungsol for driver. With the Sophia 211 the Amperx 6DJ8 has a better synergy than the Mullard[ to soft]. Love my tubes. 

charles

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »
Sir Charles,
I picked 2 pair (2A3 & 300B) at one of the Stereophile shows at the midtown Hilton...I think the same show where you were indulging in some good Scotch or Cognac with one of the horn speaker manufacturers...

To me, I prefered the sound of vintage 2A3 black plates (RCA, my favorite - Sylvania with spring suspensions).

The Sophia mesh plates, both 300B & 2A3 versions sounded slow & mushy, losing the dynamics as compared to vintage USA made tubes. However, they were very romantic & lush sounding, perhaps suitable to bright-sounding speakers, such as some Lowthers that I have heard.

Never heard the 211 versions...they may be your ticket to audio bliss...

Hope to see you soon,
Pete  :)
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Bigfish8

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 05:42:14 PM »
Guys:

I am considering the purchase of a pair of Sophia Electric 6SN7 tubes.  With Shane's help I discovered one of my smoked glass Sylvania VT231's is badly microphobic.  Anyone have any experience with the Sophia 6SN7?

Thanks,

Ken

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 06:54:13 PM »
Guys:

I am considering the purchase of a pair of Sophia Electric 6SN7 tubes.  With Shane's help I discovered one of my smoked glass Sylvania VT231's is badly microphobic.  Anyone have any experience with the Sophia 6SN7?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,
I have not heard the Sophia 6SN7GT's...however, there are so many great sounding older US made 6sn7gt's; tung sol round plate, rca, sylvania 6sn7w, raytheon, etc... you can't go wrong with them!...especially the WWII stock!!

How much are the Sophia 6sn7gt?

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Bigfish8

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 07:10:12 PM »
I have not heard the Sophia 6SN7GT's...however, there are so many great sounding older US made 6sn7gt's; tung sol round plate, rca, sylvania 6sn7w, raytheon, etc... you can't go wrong with them!...especially the WWII stock!!

How much are the Sophia 6sn7gt?

Pete:

Since purchasing the ModWright Transporter and Mapletree Preamp I have rolled quite a few vintage 6SN7's.  Currently running the Tung-Sol Round Plates in the Transporter and the metal base Russian 6SN7 equivalents in the Pre.  Problem with the better old tubes in microphobic issues, no warranty and high prices.  I am running an EML 5U4G Mesh Rectifier in the Transporter and it bested all of the NOS Rectifiers all of the Transporter owners evaluated, to include the Metal Base GZ-34.  The best part is the the EML is a current production tube.  Thus, I have given you the reason why I am interested in the Sophia 6SN7.

Prices for the Sophia 6SN7 range from $49.00 bottom price, around $80/tube for tubes graded B and $100.00/tube for select grade.  I will probably end-up trying a pair. 

Thanks,

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »
Hey Pete good to have you here. At first the 211 was a bit mushy and dull. now with some 150 hrs not any longer. Not as dynamic  as the GEs but much better on top. Trying different driver tubes at the moment. Tungsol, RCA , CF Thompson, Phillips. The input tube as well. Seems like the Seimens [6DJ8] Tele and Amperx Global. Fun fun fun.

charles