Author Topic: minimum speaker cable length  (Read 11308 times)

ar-t

Re: minimum speaker cable length
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 05:09:58 PM »
Hey, it is all analogue.

It is not a question of loss. It is a question of reflections. Real long story short......

We did a lot of research (and yes, it was by nature "analog") back in the early 90s on how much reflections that you could tolerate on an SPDIF interface, and not muck up the sound.

The answer we came up with is around -30 dB. Below that point, things all sounded about the same. (Translation: cables did not sound all that much different if all the impedances could be that tightly controlled.) In layman's terms: the refection can only be 3% of the value of the signal.

Our latest "not-so-top-secret" project has an output return loss of -38 dB. Around 1.25%.

Our cables usually run in the -32 to -34 dB range.

What is the output return loss of a typical RCA connector? They range in the 25-30 ohm range. That gives you a return loss in the -10 dB range. Which is what we have measured on many occasion for the skeptics.

Help any???

(Pssst........I can sell you a really good isolated BNC at cost.)

Pat

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: minimum speaker cable length
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 07:12:02 AM »
Have been uing Mapleshade products for some time. An active powercord and active speaker cables. The outter shield is powered by batteries. Now until one has actually auditioned their cables in their system your assumptions are just that.
   The price of entry for their top models seem to be an issue. Havn't found a powercord yet that outperforms it. Same with the speaker cables. Works for me.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.