Author Topic: Interconnects: sc vs. sc.  (Read 22603 times)

shep

Re: Interconnects: sc vs. sc.
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2009, 11:38:20 AM »
hmmmm. Life is a disturbingly lenghty burn-in. (Sunday philosopher) Well...I'm sure mine were NOT burned in before and yes you may well be right about the caps, although I can't remember anyone ever mentioning this about jenzen Caps. Black Gates and Mundorf yes. Please don't even think the words 1000 hours! That's just not possible. (he hopes) I would however like feedback about the experience of others and what changes they have percieved over time with Grovers cable.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:40:45 AM by shep »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2009, 12:17:06 PM »
hmmmm. Life is a disturbingly lenghty burn-in.

That is deep, Shep!   But if you compare life with cables then at some point as cables age, they must also begin to decline.  Hey, that's brilliant!!!  It's not my body, ears and mind that are declining, it's my damn cables!   :rofl:

I suspect Grover IC breakin is like with many cables.  For me, they begin to relax and refine... the edge is replaced by a better sense of harmonic decay and definition.    It's subtle if you're listening everyday but you do hit a point where you realize it just sounds damn nice.  Well, that's been my experience.   I've either got to get one of those cable burners or stop buying new cables.

shep

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2009, 11:06:19 PM »
Cables age more gracefully  :(

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
Hey Shep,
     Are your Grover IC.s sound still changing?  How much time do you think you have on them by now?

I've only had mine for a couple of days, maybe 50hrs or so,  is there much change beyond that?

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »
I've only had mine for a couple of days, maybe 50hrs or so,  is there much change beyond that?

From my experience, I think you'll hear further improvement through 200 hours or more, but it's subtle. 

shep

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I agree with the above. I must have 200+. There is an easing off, an opening, more texture and colour. They are NOT perfect (sorry Grover). On my system, which is admittedly a bit lean, there is a tendency to underline and project the midrange. I would have preferred something a tiny bit darker and richer. Then again I have certain reservations about my single-core speaker cables and I don't know how my ice amp would sound in another context, so don't take anything I say as gospel. If I were foolish enough, i would say these interconnects would go to the top of their price class and probably way beyond. I think they are good enough to reveal what is going into them and out. I don't think they would disgrace themselves in a hi-end rig. I wish we could finaly hear what the story is/was with the speaker cables. I have a serious itch that needs scratching. To answer you directly Rob, there are big changes from the 50 hour to the 200+. You wouldn't really hear that unless you literally walk away from the burn in and come back much later. The changes are gradual.