Author Topic: Grover's sc speaker cables  (Read 7780 times)

Offline mboldda1

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Grover's sc speaker cables
« on: October 04, 2008, 10:42:51 PM »
If you own or have heard the new Grover sc speaker cables let me know your thoughts and what speaker cables you have compared them to.  As I own Straley Reality speaker cables would like to know if you have compared the Grovers to the Straleys?
Thanks,
Marvin
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Offline mboldda1

Re: Grover's sc speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:57:45 AM »
there's no one using grover's speaker cables?
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:06:54 AM »
Sorry I was out of town. I do not have the latest grovers, but I did audition his last version without the shield. They took a while to break in but eventually they really played nice. We had a G2G where we compared about 8-10 different SCs including Straley, Audience, JPS. The Grovers came in close second to the JPS which cost about 5 times more. Bass and clarity were great, with minimal ringing. The new SC are supposedly even better. jrebman has the new ones, I think.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 12:07:08 PM »
mboldda1,

I have had 10 foot length bi-wire version of Grover "sc" speaker cables since early this year and run them on my Polk SDA-SRS-2 speakers for 2-channel and for front left/right of multi-channel. 
I have only compared them to my previous Grover "UR" speaker cables
(now doing duty on the 2 side/rear surround Polk Fxi-5's) and some earlier Element Twisted Pair speaker cables. 
The Grover "SC" speaker cables perform substantially better than the Element Twisted Pair speaker cables and significantly better than the Grover "UR" speaker cables. 
Current two-channel system is stock Denon DVD-3930CI (Matt Anker still can't get any ZapFilter Mark II's for custom mod) into Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature (with 1957 metal base Philips Miniwatt GZ34/5AR4 and two Bendix 6900s w/gold pins) into two Odyssey Mono Extreme SE's [with Klaus's "special boards" ---awaiting "glass ceiling" upgrades] to drive the Polk SDA-SRS-2s.  All ICs are currently Grover SC with carbon nickel shielding.

Grover "SC" speaker cables with the carbon nickel shielding have very similar characteristics to the Grover "SC" interconnects [discussed in another thread within Cranioelectric Stimulation].
Indeed, great clarity, detail,and smoothness; neutrality across the spectrum; black background; excellent, tight bass (and plenty of it)

Offline mboldda1

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:43:22 PM »
Richido,
1) where did the straleys end up in the comparison?
2) is there a link to a thread discussing the shootout?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 02:30:28 PM »
mboldda1, I liked the Grovers better than Reality in that comparison, using Manley Snapper driving bigfish's SP Tech Timepiece 2.1. I liked the added detail of the Grover compared to Reality, but Reality was nicely balanced. Grover was not yet fully broken in, only about 50 hours, iirc. Here's the link from last summer... The meet generated a stimulating discussion about the power requirements of those unique speakers.  I would love to hear the newer SCs from Grover. If you decide to try them, I hope you will share your impressions!

Grover has a new website now, with price listing and 60 day return policy. Recently he told me he is very busy, and continuing development of ever better cables.
Rich

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »
I have had at least two dozen sets of various speaker cables in and out of my system over the last year (people send them to me to try out) and to date nothing has bested my Reality's.

Granted this is my system with my ears but it is what it is.

For the money regardless of the system, they are dam hard to beat. I did have some MIT's that were darn nice but when I found out that were well over $1K for a 6Ft run, I lost interest.....real fast.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 06:59:35 PM »
Ever try Grovers John?  They cost about twice that of Realitys now, but I thought last year's Grovers were more revealling than last year's Realitys. They cost about the same back then. Grover is not building to a price, and doesn't want to be "good for the money" so the price is rising as he improves them to compete against the best available. Of course, he always claims his is the best. I am tempted to buy a short pair to see what's new... :D
Rich

Bigfish8

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 07:35:42 PM »
I have had at least two dozen sets of various speaker cables in and out of my system over the last year (people send them to me to try out) and to date nothing has bested my Reality's.

Granted this is my system with my ears but it is what it is.

For the money regardless of the system, they are dam hard to beat. I did have some MIT's that were darn nice but when I found out that were well over $1K for a 6Ft run, I lost interest.....real fast.

John:

They were my fairly new, broken-in pair of Reality's at Rich's speaker cable shoot-out last year.  Based on all of the favorable reviews of the cables over on AC I had purchased them.  I think Carlman and I were shocked at the results of the shoot-out as I was expecting the Reality's to hold there own.  Unfortunately everyone in attendance believed they were clearly bested by the AU-24's, the Grover Bi-Wires, The HT Pro 9's and blown away by the JPLs.  All electronics were the same with the only difference being a change in cables. 

I know this was not a scientific test and maybe we can conduct another shootout to determine our opinions.  There is a guy on AC that uses $2000.00/pair interconnects and uses the Straleys as he believes they are the best SCs available.  Maybe the results vary depending on the speakers and amps involved.  I don't have a clue, I was just darn disappointed that night at Rich's.

Ken   

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 08:17:02 PM »
The results of any shoot out will be dependent on system non-linearities. The system zigs and the cables zag,if the end result is not a straight line you may not care for the cables. If the cable is more linear than the system you won't care for sound and the same thing applies for a crappy cable and a more linear system.
You may get a little closer to the truth about a cable based on more trials in more systems, but the chances are very good that 2 out of 5 times even the best cable will sound wrong in somebody's system.
Bottom line,there are too many variables in play to reliably predict whether or not a cable is right or wrong in a system other than on an individual basis.
Bigfish8 are you still using the Reality cables in your system or did you switch to one of the cables that sounded good in Rich's system?
Scotty

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 10:44:09 PM »
Ever try Grovers John? 

Yep.....I didn't buy them, they were sent to me to play around with. I hung on to them for a few weeks and sent them on there way.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »

John:

They were my fairly new, broken-in pair of Reality's at Rich's speaker cable shoot-out last year.  Based on all of the favorable reviews of the cables over on AC I had purchased them.  I think Carlman and I were shocked at the results of the shoot-out as I was expecting the Reality's to hold there own.  Unfortunately everyone in attendance believed they were clearly bested by the AU-24's, the Grover Bi-Wires, The HT Pro 9's and blown away by the JPLs.  All electronics were the same with the only difference being a change in cables. 

I know this was not a scientific test and maybe we can conduct another shootout to determine our opinions.  There is a guy on AC that uses $2000.00/pair interconnects and uses the Straleys as he believes they are the best SCs available.  Maybe the results vary depending on the speakers and amps involved.  I don't have a clue, I was just darn disappointed that night at Rich's.

Ken   

To me this always come down to the system that is in play and of course individual tastes. I have fooled around with the AU-24's, JPS, MIT and even some off the map stuff from smaller outfits and to my ears, Gregg's stuff works fine for me. I don't use his interconnects, but I do like his speaker cables.

Are they the best?...probably not but they work for me. I have heard stuff I actually preferred but it's my personal choice not to spend the money if I cant justify it.

I have stuff kicking around here from Acrolink (6N-S7000 - $3K for 2 meters) that I would put up against anything for those willing to spend "whatever" and some of the newer stuff from Audioquest has come a long way also. I sell both of those lines but don't use either one as the stuff is expensive and when I have put it up against Gregg's stuff, the gains were not enough to make me spend the money.

That may change one day as I move into an all NAD Master Series front end that is going to be powered by the new Spectron stuff but as it stands now, I cant bring myself to swap.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:59:59 PM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »
Hi John, have you tried the Reality Cables ICs in your system with the SCs? There seems to be considerable synergy between the two in many systems. 
Scotty

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
Hi John, have you tried the Reality Cables ICs in your system with the SCs? There seems to be considerable synergy between the two in many systems. 
Scotty

Hey Scotty,

Yes I have. I actually have a few sets around here and unless I'm mistaken I have two different versions.

I don't use them as I prefer something else in my system, but they do in fact work well with his speaker cables.