Author Topic: grover s vs. current grover  (Read 18187 times)

Bigfish8

Re: grover s vs. current grover
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
Today I got back home after spending a few days on vacation and found my new Grover SC ICs in the mailbox.  I am upgrading from the Graphite Edition I purchased during the AN Group Buy last year.  The new ICs are black and marked Grover SC. 

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 05:04:15 PM »
Ken,

Does your have a direction arrow?   At one time Grover was placing such under the label but my recent pair did not have it.   I'm assuming that if they are directional, it is in the same direction as the writing.

Bigfish8

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 05:40:24 PM »
Ken,

Does your have a direction arrow?   At one time Grover was placing such under the label but my recent pair did not have it.   I'm assuming that if they are directional, it is in the same direction as the writing.

Mike:

No arrow, they just have a black band with "Grover Sc" written in white cursive letters. 

I just went and looked at the Graphite "Grover S" cables and the arrow points across the top of the signature in the same direction as the signature is written (I hope this makes sense).  Anyway, I plan to connect the new cables exactly as the Graphite edition. 

Ken

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 08:18:48 PM »
Guy's, sorry for asking but why are you all so worried about arrows and which way you are hooking ic's up?

You can run them anyway you like.....directionality in conductors is a mute point. If somebody can show me how wire used in this application can be directional, I'm all ears.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:19 PM »
I have been reading Bruce Rosenblat's book "Audio Reality" (transcendentsound.com) which suggests rather candidly (and convincingly) that because audio signals are AC, there is no directionality to the signal as there might be in a DC conductor (no physics to suggest that either,) and therefore no "directionality" to audio cables. It is just a dogmatized myth, one among many, according to Rosenblat. Nevertheless, my cables are marked with direction and I blindly and dutifully orient them as suggested by the arrows. It is more fun that way, and I am a good little lamb. hehe  The book is very provocative and inspiring. I recommend it and will review it when I'm done.
Rich

PS. I see John beat me to the punch line     :rofl:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 05:18:46 AM »
Guy's, sorry for asking but why are you all so worried about arrows and which way you are hooking ic's up?

John, not worried -- just curious about changes from Grover.   I doubt I've ever heard much of a difference in changing a new cable's direction, but certainly have heard break-in improvements.   I suspect that if I reverse the direction of a cable after it's been broken in,  it will change sonically until broken in again.    Just a guess on my part - doubt I'll test that theory, but if it's true, it may be that some manufacturers label direction because they already run it in to some extent before shipping.    And, of course, if you buy them used, it'd be nice to know what direction they had been used.

Rich, thanks for the reference on Rosenblat's book.... gotta check that out.   

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »
I note that Groneberg of Germany subscribes to directionality to their cables. Within the Groneberg website is a diagram and the company's preferred way of running the ICs to/from the preamp; I note that as I'm away from my home 'puter at this time, I can't forward the site/diagram link.

YMMV.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 09:04:23 AM »
I note that Groneberg of Germany subscribes to directionality to their cables. Within the Groneberg website is a diagram and the company's preferred way of running the ICs to/from the preamp; I note that as I'm away from my home 'puter at this time, I can't forward the site/diagram link.

YMMV.

Which is exactly why I would probably never buy from them.....but that picture really doesn't say much. It implies a little, but makes no statement. Are they trying to show a true balanced connection?

You can slice it up anyway you like and call it whatever but at the end of the day, conductors used in the application of ic's, speaker wire and yes even power cords are non directional.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 09:14:22 AM »

I suspect that if I reverse the direction of a cable after it's been broken in,  it will change sonically until broken in again.

I would have my doubts. If I snuck in to your house one night and switched your ic's around I would bet you anything you like that you or anybody else for that matter would NOT notice.

There is no difference.....those little 22awg conductors that most ic's are made up of could care less which way the signal travels and that is from not only a scientific standpoint but also a technical standpoint.

If they do care, maybe get one of those funky watches that are up for grabs on Audiogon as that should look after things (sorry couldn't resist!).  :rofl:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 01:07:37 PM »
I would have my doubts. If I snuck in to your house one night and switched your ic's around I would bet you anything you like that you or anybody else for that matter would NOT notice.
You're right, John - I probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference enough to identify it as such.   But, there are certainly days when it doesn't sound as good and I have noticed that on those days, it seems that everything has been ever-so-slightly rearranged (ya know, like all the Black Sand cables have been dusted and straigtened). :rofl:

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 01:24:48 PM »
You're right, John - I probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference enough to identify it as such.   But, there are certainly days when it doesn't sound as good and I have noticed that on those days, it seems that everything has been ever-so-slightly rearranged (ya know, like all the Black Sand cables have been dusted and straigtened). :rofl:

Now that brought a smile to my face and a chuckle,,You just can't have enough of those Black Sand cables,,just my .02 worth.And,I might add,, if I don't have at least one BS Violet in the mix(especially to the preamp)I feel lost. Great product BTW.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
Man I love this place!  :D

The fact that I can say my piece and then somebody comes along and says their piece and it stays civil. God dam that is refreshing!

Now all of you, piss off and go dust some power cords!  :rofl:

Offline mboldda1

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 03:37:17 PM »
i was under the impression that interconnects that are truly directional are the ones that have their shield connected on one end and not the other.
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 04:33:54 PM »
i was under the impression that interconnects that are truly directional are the ones that have their shield connected on one end and not the other.

That would still not make them directional, it's simply addressing any potential ground loop issues.