Author Topic: grover s vs. current grover  (Read 18188 times)

Offline mboldda1

• Obsessively Audiophilic
grover s vs. current grover
« on: June 28, 2008, 01:44:35 PM »
i have the white grover s interconnect that was new aug. '07.  how does this compare to the current grover interconnect and is it worth the $100 + shipping both ways to get the upgrade?
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Bigfish8

Re: grover s vs. current grover
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 06:05:11 PM »
i have the white grover s interconnect that was new aug. '07.  how does this compare to the current grover interconnect and is it worth the $100 + shipping both ways to get the upgrade?

I would recommend that you trade messages with Grover.  He may allow you to trial the new ICs and keep the old white version or keep the new cables and return the white version.  You would be out the shipping but you would convinced that you are running the best Grover IC in your system. 

I am in the process of upgrading from the graphite version of the "S" cable to the latest "SC" version.  Several people here made the switch from the graphites to the new SC version and believe the SC version is quite a value in ICs.  Grover told me the list on a 1 meter pair of his SCs is $420.00.

Good Luck on your decision.

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:00:15 AM »
I'm currently breaking in a pair of Grover 'SC' RCA analog ICs to replace my final 'S' pair (which were the gray ones that came after the white).   While I no longer have the whites to compare it to, I definitely think the latest black 'SC' ICs are a step up from the 'S'....  While sonic differences are not dramatic, it seems to be a step toward more clarity and transparency without edginess.

FWIW, here's what I'm currently using...

Grover SC digital RCA IC - Squeezebox to Tact
Grover SC digital XLR IC - CD transport to Tact
Grover SC analog XLR ICs - Tact to amp
Grover SC analog RCA ICs - phono pre to Tact

« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 02:51:45 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 06:05:58 AM »
I think the 'SC' version of IC is the best Grover makes overall.  It would work well in all systems and seems the most invisible. 
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:16:38 AM »
I strongly agree with Carlman that Grover's 'SC' version of IC is the best Grover makes overall. 
I have had Grover 'SC' ICs on all signal path in my 2-channel/multichannel system since they came out. 
These have a blacker background/lower noise floor than the white/white Grover S interconnects
(which I also rate very highly and have retained full system complement of as backups for the Grover 'SC' cables). 

Thanks to Audio Nervosa posters, I was alerted to "leap-frog" the graphite/charcoal Grover S version which seemed to have some "harshness "/ "glare"/ "grain" issues in some folks' systems.

rlmacklin

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 02:57:07 AM »
Several people here made the switch from the graphites to the new SC version and believe the SC version is quite a value in ICs. 
Good Luck on your decision.

Ken

I was one of those who changed over and am very pleased. TO me they sound better in every aspect. Since making the change, I have had zero interest in IC upgrading. Best of luck with your decision making.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:59:56 AM »

I was one of those who changed over and am very pleased. TO me they sound better in every aspect. Since making the change, I have had zero interest in IC upgrading. Best of luck with your decision making.

Here's a thought for a new thread.... What has AudioNervosa done for me

Since learning about and hearing Grover ICs here on AN, I also have no interest in trying anything else.    The same is true for John's Black Sand power cords.   I'm extremely happy in both of those camps due to what I've learned (and tried) here.   Thanks to all who have made it happen!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:52:43 AM »
Grover is working on new stuff, I hope to get a listen soon. If it is evolutionary to the degree we've grown accustomed, perhaps another group buy would be in order. I know that Grover's wires hold their value very well in the used market. With his new higher prices, we group buyers should be looking at profits on the old ones if we were to sell to make room for the new.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 07:42:36 AM »
Well, that sounds intriguing.... do you mean ICs after the SCs or something other than ICs?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:38:39 AM »
ICs I think, but new SCs (speaker cable) too. Hoping to hear what's new sometime soon. We'll have a G2G then.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »
The SC IC is the latest version of IC.. Does he have an 'SC' SC?  If so, is going to come out with an 'IC' version of SC?
I like that the versions have slowed down.. the added confusion of the version naming is a nice twist.
;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 06:49:18 PM »
Leave it to Grover to keep us scratching our heads.  But yes, I agree with Carl that it's nice that the latest incarnation of his ICs, the Grover 'SC', is the best I've heard and haven't seen any changes in that in awhile.

So has anyone actually listened to any Grover speaker cables?   Should be interesting...

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 05:48:19 AM »
We had a pair of Grover S biwire speaker cables at a G2G last springtime. It came in second overall to JPS Superconductor 3 in a field of about 8 wires. The Grover was only about 2/3 burned in according to Grover's recommendation and diffference to JPS was not huge. Not bad for about 1/8 price at the time. The SC version is more expensive but I've not yet had the pleasure.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 08:19:20 AM »
Rich,  sorry I missed that G2G.   I'll ping Grover to see if he's actually shipping his new speaker cables... I'd love to see a group buy on that.   I've currently got a very long set of JPS SC+ biwire speaker cables and have been contemplating replacing them with shorter cables but the JPS SC3 are just out of my price range - particularly given that I'll still need at least a 15 ft run.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »
As far as I know the latest production spec is still the SC, which I think are available in SCs too. But I have never heard those. I think jrebman recently got some of grover's latest 'SC' SCs, but not sure if he has listened to them yet. Jim has a lot of exciting system changes going on this year!
Rich