Author Topic: 16 bits till I die!  (Read 19471 times)

shep

Re: 16 bits till I die!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 12:28:18 AM »
Finally. Got it back, in one piece and working. New laser and some other bits. Burning in. It sounds rather good.There's nothing left of the original machine now except the case, the board, the laser mech. I'm in the process of cosmetic changes: nice walnut cheeks and a lexan top, with some lead flashing glued to the bottom to increase mass, beacuse it's gotten much heavier on the back due to three transformers.

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:34 AM »
Hey Shep,does it have any tubes in it like the Marantz players that they modify in Holland ?
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 06:33:29 AM »
Finally. Got it back, in one piece and working. New laser and some other bits. Burning in. It sounds rather good.There's nothing left of the original machine now except the case, the board, the laser mech. I'm in the process of cosmetic changes: nice walnut cheeks and a lexan top, with some lead flashing glued to the bottom to increase mass, beacuse it's gotten much heavier on the back due to three transformers.

Sounds like you jacked up the radiator cap and drove a new car under it.   :lol:

Now it's time to put on on the shelf, take a deep breath and sit back and enjoy it.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:36:29 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 07:54:03 AM »

Sounds like you jacked up the radiator cap and drove a new car under it.   :lol:

:rofl: :thumb:
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

shep

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2011, 08:41:33 AM »
Nope,no tubes. Just strange and wonderful (and woefully price) other kinds. It will need another 100 hours to give its best, by which time I should have the cosmetics sorted and I can finally post some photos.
Most of the parts and all of the work comes from here http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/marantz.shtml
and The DOS board, which replaces the op amps and other things, comes from http://www.raylectronics.nl/index_en.html (http://www.raylectronics.nl/pictures/sa8400/SA8400_Outputstage_1.jpg)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:48:49 AM by shep »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »
You know Shep we have all had a good time joking with you about the amount frequent flyer mile your equipment has been racking up, but all kidding aside, anyone can just go out and buy a good piece of equipment. There has to be a certain amount of satisfaction in having a direct hand in getting your gear to a higher performance plane. In a way it is kind of like taking a backpacking trip where getting there is half the fun. I hope all of the break-in goes quickly and you can get down to some serious musical enjoyment with the new old gear. You've certainly earned it.  :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

shep

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
I am kind of disappointed that she/he/it didn't get an honorary British passport. I love DIY madness, although it should be called SEDI (somebody else did it). Today the wooden cheeks will get routed so that they sit flush. Then sanded, and polyeurathene (?) d. Now if only the dolts over there would answer me about a Lexan sheet...

Offline tmazz

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 11:49:58 PM »
I am kind of disappointed that she/he/it didn't get an honorary British passport. I love DIY madness, although it should be called SEDI (somebody else did it). Today the wooden cheeks will get routed so that they sit flush. Then sanded, and polyeurathene (?) d. Now if only the dolts over there would answer me about a Lexan sheet...

If it sounds as good as you hope when all the dust settles maybe you can get it nominated for an MBE.  :D

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

shep

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 10:19:54 AM »
I got out my trusty Namiki (circa 1985) AC direction finder and got the polarity right. And yes, Dorothy, it does make a significant difference...in the sound. Now I have to open the amp and try reversing the direction of that pesky "audiophile" fuse. Well on the way to having the cheeks done.  :duh

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »
 I'm with ya on the polarity direction finder. It made a huge difference when auditioning the Beacon preamp. The flament power supply when properly orientated made a substanial difference.
    Wood cheeks ? I prefer my cheeks a little softer. 

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 09:00:50 AM »
Glad to hear you are back in tunes again shep. Enjoy the new gear buzz!

shep

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 11:21:21 AM »
Opening the amp to change the direction of the fuse it a serious pain...what should I be listening for? Anyone have experience of this?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »
  Actually Shep, nothing. Meaning overall does it sound better ?  Just that simple, leave the audiophile brain outside and bring in the music lovers. Have fun.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
You're not fun! :rofl:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 07:39:24 AM »
You're not fun! :rofl:

OK then , resolution and detail. More ? Less ? Tonality ? Last but not least imaging and size of soundstage. that will keep you busy for a while.  8)

charles